Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #16
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Re: Jack Dempsey v Jersey Joe Walcott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
I donīt say Willard didnīt have a very good chin, but itīs also a bit untested, Walcott on the other side faced 2 of the greatest punchers ever, in Louis and Marciano, so itīs normal that he suffered some KO- losses...
Man, I'm getting so damn tired of defending Dempsey, I'm not even sure what we're talking about anymore. I'm just going to re-state my opinion that Dempsey would get a KO early or mid rounds, if Marciano could, I don't doubt Dempsey could, too.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Walcott survives the initital barrage, and then procedes to outbox Dempsey for a majority of the fight, that is until Dempsey eventually finds his range with a cracking right hand which puts Walcott down for the count some time during the later rounds.

Dempsey TKO13 Walcott
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
You overact. Willardīs chin was never tested by an elite fighter who could punch, except against Dempsey and we know what happened...
Willard took the best shots of a very dangerous puncher in Gunboat Smith without going down ,SDmith had this to say about Willards chin,"With willard ,after I threw my best punch at him,his hair wiggled a little bit.Thats all,I said holy Jesusthat was my best punch.No detours ,right from the floor,right on his chinI says wait a minute,Ill have to try that again.I tried it again,nothing happened." "I of course had my gloves loaded,I had insulation tape laid across my hands"."I went 20 rounds and won the decision.But I couldnt knock him outthats what I couldnt understand.I found out nobody was going to knock him out ". Willard had a top chin.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Walcott proved troublesome for great punchers Marciano and Louis. How does he do with a peak Jack Dempsey?
I like Dempsey early,Walcott was a cutie but when he fought Louis ,the Bomber was further down the road than him a prime louis kos Walcott inside 10 ,Demsey due to his faster agressive style does it quicker ,inside 8 rounds,Dempsey had Marcianos agression in spades and he was quicker with his punches and more elusive.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #20
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Interesting matchup. Walcott was not a runner like Tunney. Walcott also had chin problems. On the other hand, Dempsey, despite being innovative for his time, was not at the skill level of boxers of Walcott's era. I pick Walcott to outpoint Dempsey, maybe even stop him late.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually think Walcott has a good chance he is very hard to hit and throws punches from all angles and has good power. If Tunney could drop Dempsey then so could Walcott if Joe can survive the first few rounds I think he'll win, also Dempsey was very inactive in his prime and a fighter like Walcott could mess up with his timing even if your only slightly rusty. Are we assuming they have the neutral corner rule as well which would favour Walcott because if he did go down he would be given time to clear his head, which most of Dempsey opponents were unable to do.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I feel that Walcott would have troubled Dempsey greatly. I'm not saying that he would have necessarily beaten Dempsey, but it was possible. More than likely, he would have been caught at one point or another, and that would be it, Dempsey was a brutal and conclusive finisher and it could very much come from just one punch. Up until that time, however, Jersey Joe would give him fits, and would be leading on points, win or lose. It's possible, like I said, that Walcott could have pilled an upset, on points, but a rematch might have prove to be very different. I love Walcott, I think he's fascinating. A great selftaught, brilliant, clever, defensive whiz. He could screw things up for so many of the great ones on any given night.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #23
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Quote:
Whyīre you overrating Dempsey so much? In which fights showed he, that he could KO Walcott quicker than Marciano (13th round KO and 1st round KO)?
Maybe because Dempsey went out and blasted people stylistically, Marciano most of the time grinded them down.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Walcott was never an aggressive fighter. He was a passive opportunist who liked to catch his man off balance and counter. Dempsey was too explosive and hit too hard. He would force Walcott to fight, and knock him out. I see a mid round TKO win for Dempsey.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #25
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Dempsey hand speed would be far too much for Jersey Joe IMO
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #26
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
Walcott survives the initital barrage, and then procedes to outbox Dempsey for a majority of the fight, that is until Dempsey eventually finds his range with a cracking right hand which puts Walcott down for the count some time during the later rounds.

Dempsey TKO13 Walcott
He's fighting Dempsey, not Marciano
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #27
C. M. Clay II
Manassah's finest!
ESB Senior Member

Walcott would be down at least four times in this fight. By the 5th round, Dempsey finishes him off with a blistering combination. Walcott had speed, but Dempsey's cat-footed rushes will eventually get to him. Simply put, his chin would fail him.

Jack Dempsey KO 5 Jersey Joe Walcott
C. M. Clay II is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #28
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Walcott was a master boxer/puncher and I could see him giving Dempsey a lot of trouble as he did Marciano and Louis but I think Dempsey would prevail as did Louis and Marciano but Walcott could upset a lot of the ATG"S on a good night
Bummy Davis is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum