Old 07-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #31
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137
Default Re: Harold Johnson - Frightenly Muscular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post

I am not going to come out with a straight yes or no answer, as the evidence I have given was pure speculation and here say, without nothing to back it up, other than a hunch.
I don't believe he was on anything stronger than grape juice.

Boxers and trainers are notoriously resistant to radical new ideas. They may have broadened their horizons a bit in recent years, but in Johnson's time steroids were practically unheard of, in the west. Shit, weight training was practically unheard of back then, especially in boxing.

Do you honestly think old-school guys like Johnson would happily let someone jab them in the butt once or twice a week with a needle? Or maybe swallow of few odd looking pills with their coffee in the mornings?
Come on.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #32
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
I don't believe he was on anything stronger than grape juice.

Boxers and trainers are notoriously resistant to radical new ideas. They may have broadened their horizons a bit in recent years, but in Johnson's time steroids were practically unheard of, in the west. Shit, weight training was practically unheard of back then, especially in boxing.

Do you honestly think old-school guys like Johnson would happily let someone jab them in the butt once or twice a week with a needle? Or maybe swallow of few odd looking pills with their coffee in the mornings?
Come on.
Either way it didnt do Harold much good against soft Willie Pastrano.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #33
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
When does it dawn on people? Doesn't matter how hard you work, how much you lift, roids 'n supplements you take, unless it's in your genetics, you don't get to look like Harold Johnson...or Rocky Marciano would look twice as cut.

It's like super models, or knockout punchers, they hit the DNA jackpot.

There are winos sleepin' in the street shredded like Harold Johnson.
I agree completely. Some guys are ripped like Johnson, Holyfield, etc, but i don't believe for a second that the less "impressive" looking guys like Marciano, Johansson, etc, train even a bit less hard. In boxing, looks are more deceiving than anywhere else. Or Briggs would've knocked out Ibragimov with ease.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 06:08 AM   #34
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yes, it goes without saying, looks mean nothing, genetics is the defining issue here and as far as training goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

But fighters in training sometimes aren't allowed pudding.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #35
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Yes, it goes without saying, looks mean nothing, genetics is the defining issue here and as far as training goes, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

But fighters in training sometimes aren't allowed pudding.
I recently met Dutch road warrior Raymond Joval (great guy btw), who would probably be classified as a journeyman or fringe contender, but even he was on a pretty strict diet. I think it's safe to say that championship level boxers have the right diet but genetics is ultimately the determining factor when it comes to looks.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #36
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=john garfield;4387345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post

If you believe that, PtP, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Why do think only a handful of fighters look like Johnson? Not because they don't train hard and eat right; it ain't in their genes!!...But there are wineos livin' outta garbage cans shredded like Johnson.
Because boxers arent bodybuilders, every single bodybuilder can get a physique like Johnson's from dieting. Boxers focus on functional performance so a 6pack isnt necessary

I've had a physique not far from Johnsons and I wouldnt consider that I had great genetics, no one else in my family have my type of physique, I also binge and dont eat right most the time, but when I focus on getting in shape the abbs will be in within 4-6weeks. You just need, the muscle, the correct diet, the correct meal planning, cardio etc etc

HOWEVER abbs do not equal fitness, they equal a low bodyfat, looking in shape doesnt mean you have fitness/stamina because bodybuilders sure as shit dont
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #37
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
. I think it's safe to say that championship level boxers have the right diet but genetics is ultimately the determining factor when it comes to looks.
It is. And as you and McGrain say, a well-built fighter isn't necessarily physically better than a rather smooth looking, less muscular guy.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #38
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
I have known scrawny ass kids that have gotten hugely built.
Then they were juicing, simple as that. The myth that scrawny guys can get huge, big muscles without drugs is just that.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #39
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Then they were juicing, simple as that. The myth that scrawny guys can get huge, big muscles without drugs is just that.
Stop talking out your ass, consistantly high protein diets and resistance training builds muscle. If you build 4lbs of muscle a month you gain 48lbs of muscle in a year, IE a load of muscle. Now imagine that constantly over a period of years
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #40
META5
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Location: Why, why, why, why, I want to dive, feeling over!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Stop talking out your ass, consistantly high protein diets and resistance training builds muscle. If you build 4lbs of muscle a month you gain 48lbs of muscle in a year, IE a load of muscle. Now imagine that constantly over a period of years

True ... but one can only have so much genetic potential for growth, even if one follows all the right training, dietary and rest guidelines.

Eventually, everyone will reach plateaus and then getting through each one becomes more and more difficult ... yes, it is easy for a novice to gain some 40lbs of muscle in a year/year and a half, but once they start getting into above average weight lifter/bodybuilder territory ... those gains slow down significantly.

In my training experience, I've found that many very skinny people get to a certain size and then when the size gains start to slow down immensely, they become prone to seeking the 'benefits' of 'artificial assistance'.

I do believe that ANYBODY can put on size, but genetics do have an ultimate say in just what one can do training clean.
META5 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #41
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Someone's very ***ually secure. Go cry like a child about shirtless men somewhere else, you've obviously stumbled into the wrong sport if such a thing bothers you.

Ignorant people throwing at the word gay when there's a picture of a shirtless guy.
i guess he only watches amateurs then
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #42
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
But it doesn't happen like that. Meta5 has pretty much summed it up already, and I agree with what he said.

Even pro bodybuilders will struggle to put on just 20 pounds of muscle a year after several years, and they're the genetic elite.

Cast your mind back to 1992. Dorian Yates enters the Mr. Olympia weighing 242 pounds, if memory serves. The next year he came in at 257, which represents only a 15 pound gain in muscle mass.
People could not believe he had put on that much size in only a single year.
Yes, guys like Coleman and Cutler have also done it. but it's rare...very rare. And again, these guys are the absolute elite in building muscle and are also taking copious amounts of steroids. They were never, at any stage of their lives, the proverbial 98 pound weakling. Never.

Seriously, I can't believe you think any old body can just ingest a lot of protein and do weight training and get big. Bigger yes, but that's relative to the person concerned.

If that were the case, there would be legions of big, muscular guys walking around. The opposite is the case. Most gyms have a small minority of big guys, while the vast majority of trainees are struggling to add just 5 pounds of muscle to their physiques, let alone 48.
Thousands upon thousands of guys flock to gyms every year to get big, yet how many big guys do you see walking around?
The percentage is tiny compared to the amount of people trying their butts off.
I'm talking about people not on steroids.

Sure, in a lot of cases you can write it off to lack of effort or a bad routine or both, but many are ticking all the right boxes yet still struggle to add serious size.

As Meta5 said already, the gains become harder to come by year by year. Almost anyone can gain muscle pretty quickly initially, but after 3 or 4 years you hit a plateau and thereafter it is that is extremely difficult to add meaningful size without resorting to drugs.

In addtion, I've yet to meet anyone who gained significant size without gaining a fair amount of bodyfat. There are few exceptions, in my experience.
So you may after a number of years have the size, but not the shape. That's another story.

Last edited by fists of fury; 07-01-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #43
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West View Post
i guess he only watches amateurs then
Must be the case. He must close his eyes when he showers too. I'm pretty curious how he plans on having children as well.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #44
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
vCash: 300

Genetics are a help, but hard solid work ethic can get you damn close if you desire it badly enough....

mirageboxing.blogspot.com
Bigcat is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #45
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

[quote=PowerPuncher;4388494]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post

Because boxers arent bodybuilders, every single bodybuilder can get a physique like Johnson's from dieting. Boxers focus on functional performance so a 6pack isnt necessary

I've had a physique not far from Johnsons and I wouldnt consider that I had great genetics, no one else in my family have my type of physique, I also binge and dont eat right most the time, but when I focus on getting in shape the abbs will be in within 4-6weeks. You just need, the muscle, the correct diet, the correct meal planning, cardio etc etc

HOWEVER abbs do not equal fitness, they equal a low bodyfat, looking in shape doesnt mean you have fitness/stamina because bodybuilders sure as shit dont
I agree. We aren't talking about functional training we're talking about physiques. So basically you agree with me?
PetethePrince is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum