Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #631
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Classic Forum -Talk About Anything (Mods please dont move)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Death Proof was straight up garbage, more like a wannabe Tarantino rip-off than an actual Tarantino film. It just seemed like he sort of phoned that one in for the collabo with Rodriguez. He's said he did some of the best writing of his life with this film, though. I'm looking forward to it immensely.
He also said it was gonna be two films...but now it's been condensed into one film. Could be good (make it leaner, cut out the fat) could make it good (story arcs being lost making it incohesive, or is it uncohesive???)

hope it's good.....looks quite tongue in cheek but I've heard it's brutal.

Lars Von Trier's 'The Antichrist' sounds.....um, interesting
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #632
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Death Proof was straight up garbage, more like a wannabe Tarantino rip-off than an actual Tarantino film. It just seemed like he sort of phoned that one in for the collabo with Rodriguez. He's said he did some of the best writing of his life with this film, though. I'm looking forward to it immensely.
Agreed. Didn't even know what movie you were talking about till I googled it and then realized I've seen it. Not even super-***y Rosario Dawson made it worth the time and trouble...

But I'm probably alone on here as not being a Tarantino fan. Liked Jackie Brown though, and I liked Pulp Fiction ok, but even that was a little twisted for my tastes. What's wrong with these films is what's wrong with so many American films these days. They're either so ugly, they're horrible or so silly they're inane.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #633
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'd like to hear some of Robbi's taste in movies.
Not into movies.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #634
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Not sure who said that Chinx, but On The Waterfront is an all-timer. And Sweet Pea, so is The Deer Hunter, crazy how the last scene is, and the whole thing is put into perspective, that's how i see it anyway. Like they are all sitting around the table, there's no conversation, then the camera pulls out and that's just in one house, thats' just the devastation in one house, so imagine the bigger picture.

Deer Hunter was great. Authentic, and those Russian Roulette scenes in Nam were crazy dramatic and meant a lot. The Christopher Walken character gets hooked, and sees no other life for himself...

Also, had to agree with Sweet Pea on a couple... Heat and The Graduate and American Beauty is an absolute GREAT flick. That surreal suburban American setting, where everybody is desperate behind those big four bedroom homes, losing their minds behind the facade of normality, and just saw Sam Mendez's new movie, Revolutionary Road, which was along the same lines, even the music was very similar, but though it had some great dramatic moments, it missed.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #635
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

im completly stumped on what you guys are jabbering on about but ill wait it out till i know
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #636
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
....thought Death Proof was below average...........Tarantino may have lost it :(
It wasn't below average. It was shit. Don't sugar coat it.

Sweet Pea's list was a good one, although I found Million Dollar Baby horribly depressing.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #637
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

has noone seen Scum

i aint shutting up till some one has
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #638
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
It wasn't below average. It was shit. Don't sugar coat it.

Sweet Pea's list was a good one, although I found Million Dollar Baby horribly depressing.
Yeah, I liked it up until she got hurt. Then it was just painful.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #639
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

speaking about depressing films anyone seen the Champ now thats sad
Old 07-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #640
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid View Post
Yeah, I liked it up until she got hurt. Then it was just painful.
It was a good film up until that point. The last 20 minutes or so made it a great film. Depressing doesn't always mean bad. IMO, the movies that can invoke the strongest emotions are the best ones, regardless of genre. Which is the reason you'll see movies like Leaving Las Vegas, The Deer Hunter, Eternal Sunshine, Vanilla Sky, Million Dollar Baby, etc among my favorites.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #641
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Many years ago. I can't really remember much about it though.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #642
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Very sad movie, especially for the son of a fighter.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #643
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

yeh it is a sad film i aint seen it in ages
Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #644
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It was a good film up until that point. The last 20 minutes or so made it a great film. Depressing doesn't always mean bad. IMO, the movies that can invoke the strongest emotions are the best ones, regardless of genre. Which is the reason you'll see movies like Leaving Las Vegas, The Deer Hunter, Eternal Sunshine, Vanilla Sky, Million Dollar Baby, etc among my favorites.
Yeah, depressing, sad, even ugly and horrible is ok, as long as I buy it. A lot of times they're going for shock value and it becomes sensational and cheap, not resembling life, at least as I know it. Someone once said that when you watch a good movie it should be like everything you've ever seen and like nothing you've ever seen. Meaning, you gotta relate, you gotta buy it, believe it, but it needs to take you somewhere you've never been before or why bother?

I like your list above ... Mine would be, besides the ones that I've already mentioned, something like Dog Day Afternoon, Mystic River, you mentioned Cuckoo's Nest, definitely! Also, State of Grace, At Close Range, Raging Bull of course, though some of that, the emotional violence with his wife and brother are hard to watch. The Verdict's a great one, Paul Newman was a great actor and a class act; I even like Harper, kind of a lighthearted film that leans enough into the dramatic to save it, for my tastes ... I could go on for a long while, so I won't, but just mention that The Soprano's one of the most believable mob portrayals I've ever seen. Not a movie, of course, but it's for me, better than a lot of the famous mob flicks that portray that life and those people more like people expect them to be than they are.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #645
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid View Post
Who was it, Teeto, that said he liked "Unforgiven"? I'm not real big on Westerns, but that's my # 1 of all time. Also, I like most of John Wayne's movies, "The Man who shot Liberty Valance", is a great one. And Mcvey, mentioned a lot of great films, too. "Treasure of the Sierra Madre," definitely, and other Bogart flicks, Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and I liked the boxing flick, The Harder They Fall... On the Waterfront is probably one of my top picks, It's a Wonderful Life, and of the more recent classics, most things by Scorcese, DeNiro, Pacino, and I like Hoffman too... A couple more obscure ones of these guys'... The King of Comedy, Scarecrow and Midnight Cowboy.

Just wanted to throw my 2 and a half cents into the pot...

I cannot stand Unforgiven, way too schmaltzy like a lot of Eastwood's later films. Million Dollar Baby, Iwo Jima, Flags of our Fathers, and Gran Torino is exactly the same .. This kind of stuff plays well in America but everywere else in the world says 'That is soooo schmaltzy and soooooo American' ..
The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favourite western and i think hes class in the Leone and Dirty Harrys ....

Tom Hank's films are total shit .. This guy always plays a guy who you feel sorry for, whether its Forrest Gump, or a dude who gets stranded on a desert island, or a guy who's wife has died, or a guy that has AIDS .. His films are all designed for audiences to feel sorry for his character. When is this guy going to play a serial killer or a vampire because Hanks is getting seriously predictable ..
Axl_Nose is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum