Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Oscar de la Roa
I'm THE lightweight champ
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 771
vCash: 1000
Default if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Between rocky and drago... and waht about the rubber match with clubber lang
Oscar de la Roa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
nulty
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Warrington
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 566
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Please. Balboa beat both into retirement. In any event the Soviets wouldn't have risked further humiliation by allowing Drago to carry on.
nulty is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Wash-Heights, NYC
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Jose FM is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
SgrRyLeonard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 314
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

A third fight with Lang would have been even better than the rematch, and Rocky would have stopped him in the late rounds. Rocky would have a big Psychological advantage over Drago going into the rematch and would have won the rematch quicker and more easily than the 1st fight.
SgrRyLeonard is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 443
vCash: 2036
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Does Rocky have time for a training montage?

If so then he wins both fights.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
rr94
Belt Holder
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

is this thread really happening...
rr94 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #7
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgrRyLeonard
A third fight with Lang would have been even better than the rematch, and Rocky would have stopped him in the late rounds. Rocky would have a big Psychological advantage over Drago going into the rematch and would have won the rematch quicker and more easily than the 1st fight.
yep, balboa was a true chin first fighter, wear their hands down with your face and when they mentally break-up....bam! lang and drago wouln't have a prayer in rematches.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #8
Oscar de la Roa
I'm THE lightweight champ
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 771
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

nice avatar el rey
Oscar de la Roa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Oscar de la Roa
I'm THE lightweight champ
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 771
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

He really is man, even tough I like Marquez better i was amazed at how the man can take punishment and keep moving forward he really is something I wish there were more fighters like him
Oscar de la Roa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,606
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

There would have been a few points to consider regarding the Drago rematch. Could Drago recover mentally from his realization that Rocky is essentially like iron? Could he recover from the late, brutal stoppage he received? Drago, like Xerxes at the end of 300, realized that he is not a god-king, or a machine, and could bleed, and based on those factors, Rocky is a shoe-in. Or is he? If handled properly, and if Drago is taken into his own isolation to train and focus on the matter at hand, perhaps he could regain his confidence, while at the same time gaining experience from the humbling beating Rocky gave him. Employing a new strategy where he brawls less than Rocky and forces him more to sit on the end of his jab while dropping rock-hammer right hands, he could conceivably take it to a less dramatic, but satisfying unanimous decision. We also have to remember that Rocky learned of brain damage he had shortly after this fight and if you remember him sitting in the rain, the bout nearly cost him his life. That said, Rocky by knockout.

The rubber match with Clubber Lang in many ways boils down to whether Clubber could bounce back from being conclusively handled by Rocky, who put on a beautiful boxing exhibition. I believe that he loses an immediate rubber match, but could win if the fight occurred years later.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
El Bombasto
Ask yo momma
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,640
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnoff
There would have been a few points to consider regarding the Drago rematch. Could Drago recover mentally from his realization that Rocky is essentially like iron? Could he recover from the late, brutal stoppage he received? Drago, like Xerxes at the end of 300, realized that he is not a god-king, or a machine, and could bleed, and based on those factors, Rocky is a shoe-in. Or is he? If handled properly, and if Drago is taken into his own isolation to train and focus on the matter at hand, perhaps he could regain his confidence, while at the same time gaining experience from the humbling beating Rocky gave him. Employing a new strategy where he brawls less than Rocky and forces him more to sit on the end of his jab while dropping rock-hammer right hands, he could conceivably take it to a less dramatic, but satisfying unanimous decision. We also have to remember that Rocky learned of brain damage he had shortly after this fight and if you remember him sitting in the rain, the bout nearly cost him his life. That said, Rocky by knockout.

The rubber match with Clubber Lang in many ways boils down to whether Clubber could bounce back from being conclusively handled by Rocky, who put on a beautiful boxing exhibition. I believe that he loses an immediate rubber match, but could win if the fight occurred years later.


maybe if drago chose to train old-school (like rocky did) for the rematch. you know, less hi-tech machinery, more running through the snow and chopping wood. perhaps that would give drago the necessary toughness to gut it out against rocky.
El Bombasto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 12,606
vCash: 1000
Default Re: if the rematch would have been done inmediatly who would have win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bombasto


maybe if drago chose to train old-school (like rocky did) for the rematch. you know, less hi-tech machinery, more running through the snow and chopping wood. perhaps that would give drago the necessary toughness to gut it out against rocky.
Possibly. I just don't think he could ever win a war against Rocky again. If he was ever going to, it had to be the first time they met. He would need to stick the jab more and brawl less to have a chance in a rematch.
Marnoff is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013