Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-17-2007, 02:05 AM   #16
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: Remembering Inggo

There's 10 min hilites of Uber Bacilieri fight too.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #17
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
There's 10 min hilites of Uber Bacilieri fight too.

Yeah, I know, I saw it at a Swedish homepage (thx to Dr Z), but I lost the name of the site now. How did Ingo look in this bout against Uber in your opinion?
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #18
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That's the one bout where his "jab" looked most silly, that chopping push punch. There's nothing much else to say about the bout (it was edited very strangely too, the way they combined different parts of the film, sometimes it repeating or interrupted by other views, then continueing, just strange), nothing impressive about either fighter.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 05:35 AM   #19
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137

Had he trained seriously for the Patterson rematch, there may have been no need for a rubber match.
Instead he moved his girlfriend into what passed as a training camp, and apparently did hardly any exercises not involving his girlfriend.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #20
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

About 30 years ago in the pre video days, you could buy fights on Super 8 Film from "Ring Classics". A special reel was made for the swedish marked containing in all about 9 minutes of Johannson v. Machen, Richardson and Cavicchi. I don´t how many copies that were made, but I got one and had it later converted to video (and later to dvd). Cavicchi is actually knocked out with a right to the body.
If anyone is interested I have about 75 10-minute reels of boxing laying around.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #21
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Even though Ingo was one of the most limited of the heavyweight champions, and definitely not in the top ten, he deserves great respect and consideration for the use of the only thing he really ever had, and that was that lethal right hand bomb of his, the "Hammer of Thor". He was expert in the effective use of that punch, and he was one of the most purely destructive of all champions with it, at least for a while. He lulled Patterson to sleep for 2 -1/2 rounds before he sprang the trap, and kind of hypnotized Floyd along the way. Machen, he poleaxed in the first round, and then destroyed him two knockdowns later. He provides pleasure for a purist with his brutal knockouts produced with that hammer of his, nevermind his shortcomings in other areas. There is an art form in the effective delivery of a knockout punch, and that's what Ingo should be appreciated for.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
That's the one bout where his "jab" looked most silly, that chopping push punch. There's nothing much else to say about the bout (it was edited very strangely too, the way they combined different parts of the film, sometimes it repeating or interrupted by other views, then continueing, just strange), nothing impressive about either fighter.
You fail to appreciate that the purpose of his jab, as innocuous as it was, was to lull the opponent to sleep and make him forget about the right. It worked and was very effective against Patterson, and others among his ko victims. He wasn't an Ali, Louis, Dempsey, or a Marciano, in terms of all around skills, but if you can appreciate a fighter who does basically one thing well. like for instance, Earnie Shavers, then you can take in consideration an Ingemar Johannson, who. if he wasn't much good at anything else, he was great at lulling an opponent to sleep with a range finding jab, and then blasting them with a very effective, brutal straight right hand. Give him that much at least.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #23
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Ingo was definitely not a bum.
He had a short reign, but he also showed promising talent and power.
The television showed an old documentary of Ingemar and his wife, kids etc.. he seemed to have lost his hunger after the first Patterson fight and underrated Patterson big time in their first rematch.
I'm not trying to discredit Patterson, his entourage or anything like that, but Johansson's wife said that Ingemar was served special food at a resturant the day before the fight, now if this is the truth or if she's lying doesn't really matter to me. Ingemar was used by the bitches in his life, ever since the Machen fight he was used and abused by the biatches... sad truth.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #24
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
You fail to appreciate that the purpose of his jab, as innocuous as it was, was to lull the opponent to sleep and make him forget about the right. It worked and was very effective against Patterson, and others among his ko victims. He wasn't an Ali, Louis, Dempsey, or a Marciano, in terms of all around skills, but if you can appreciate a fighter who does basically one thing well. like for instance, Earnie Shavers, then you can take in consideration an Ingemar Johannson, who. if he wasn't much good at anything else, he was great at lulling an opponent to sleep with a range finding jab, and then blasting them with a very effective, brutal straight right hand. Give him that much at least.
It was not a range finding jab in the fight I was speaking about. It could hardly even be called a jab for that matter. I have certainly never seen anyone else throw jab that was as silly and awkward as that, and I've seen a lot of fights. I know Jack Slack was famous for using such punch, and reportedly Jack Broughton found some use for it after Slack defeated him, but that's the only example of such punch I know of. It made little sense in the bareknuckle epoch, and it makes no sense at all in the gloved epoch.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 09-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #25
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i remember seeing a picture in british boxing news of ingo lying flat on his back in the london fight.of course he may well have risen but it seems it wasn't a case of him simply being put on the seat of his pants.
ron u.k. is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum