Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #16
jbrunner3

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bowe-Holyfield III

The Holyfield-Bowe trilogy is truly the 2nd best in heavyweight history. Bowe puts on a dominating performance in the first fight, one of the top 10 single fight performances in history, IMO. The second fight is dead even...the 7th round is difficult to score b/c Bowe won the pre-fan-man portion and Holyfield got the better when they resumed. If I remember correctly, one judge gave Holyfield the 7th and that was the difference in the fight. Personally, I believe the fight was even...and I'm a huge Holyfield fan.
The third fight was a lot less boxing and a lot more "stand and roundhouse." Although Holyfield knocking down Bowe may have been the single most shocking moment of their trilogy, his lack of stamina in the 5th, 6th and 8th rounds was equally shocking and sad. I believe Holyfield was suffering from Hepatitis. I also believe that Holy belongs ahead of Bowe on all-time lists for sheer accomplishment and his number of quality fights and quality wins. Bowe was the better fighter, but Holyfield had the better career.
jbrunner3 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 02:10 AM   #17
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsaresafer
Regarding Bowe II -
Close fight but I thought Holyfield won it. He won more of the clear rounds. Here are my scores round by round

Holyfield clearly won rounds 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 11
Bowe clearly won rounds 1, 3, 9, and 12

So 6 clear rounds for Holyfield and 4 clear rounds for Bowe. I challenge anyone to dispute this fact.
Round 7 was not a clear round for Holyfield.

Bowe did the better work before that idiot came crashing down. Then Holyfield did better after the delay. 10-10 is fair, you can give Holyfield the round but it was not a clear round.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #18
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

You said it, Bowe was terrific at his best and given what Holyfield went on to achieve (and achieved beforehand) Bowe's domination in the first fight in '92 must count as a tremendous single performance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrunner3
The Holyfield-Bowe trilogy is truly the 2nd best in
heavyweight history. Bowe puts on a dominating performance in the first fight, one of the top 10 single fight performances in history, IMO. The second fight is dead even...the 7th round is difficult to score b/c Bowe won the pre-fan-man portion and Holyfield got the better when they resumed. If I remember correctly, one judge gave Holyfield the 7th and that was the difference in the fight. Personally, I believe the fight was even...and I'm a huge Holyfield fan.
The third fight was a lot less boxing and a lot more "stand and roundhouse." Although Holyfield knocking down Bowe may have been the single most shocking moment of their trilogy, his lack of stamina in the 5th, 6th and 8th rounds was equally shocking and sad. I believe Holyfield was suffering from Hepatitis. I also believe that Holy belongs ahead of Bowe on all-time lists for sheer accomplishment and his number of quality fights and quality wins. Bowe was the better fighter, but Holyfield had the better career.
NickHudson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #19
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHudson
On a related note. For those who believe Bowe deserved to keep his title in Holyfield II (I think a case can be made given Bowes great 12th round when the fight seemed to be in the balance), this means Bowe went his entire career without losing...

But if this counts as a win by the same token at least one of the golota fights should count as a loss.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum