Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Guzman-Katsidis

Am I really the only one who regrets this missed opportunity? This cancellation seemed to have gotten minimal attention; I see it as a strong forerunner for Bummer Of The Year.

Still not outside the realm of possibility for 08. To be honest, I'd almost rather see the winner of Guzman-Soto (great fight itself) move up and challenge Katsidis than go after Pac or unification at SFW. Either of these two could comfortably move up and be competitive.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Default Re: Guzman-Katsidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black
07 is turning out to be one of the best year in Boxing but alot of fights have been getting cancelled. Guzman/katsidis would have been a great card with Chi/Larios as the undercard.

I don't see why the winner of soto/guzman should move up to 135 to fight katsidis. For what? 130 is loaded with competition and there's many great matchups to be made. The winner of Soto/Guzman should face the winner of Marquez/Juarez and whoever comes out on top can face the winner of Barrera/PAcman early next year.
Because, unfortunately, I don't much trust the old guard of Barrera, Pacquiao and Marquez to look for anything but big-money fights (namely against each other) and stay-busy gimmes. We could well go blue in the face waiting for Guzman, Soto, Valero or Barrios to get a shot at any of them. Meanwhile, there are some intriguing styles matchups just five pounds up.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
jexdd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

I don't think anyone minds if Katsidis takes the rest of the year off after his two impressive/hard fought wins.
jexdd is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black
KAtsidis should fight Anthony Peterson.

Peterson is more than ready to step up and I see him beating Katsidis in a war.
That's a good fight, but I still want the one I was promised damn it.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #5
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

It would have been a great fight, but I'm not sure how Guzman would do at 135.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

There are dozens of better fights for Kastidis to take than Guzman anyway. Kastidis would probably look amateurish against the slick Guzman. I imagine the end result would be similar to Arce/Mijares or even Mayweather/Baldomir.

Kastidis is entertaining, but taking on a slick fighter whose style relies on quick reactions and slipping punches just doesn't fit well with Kastidis, either in terms of him having a chance at winning or in terms of the fight being all that exciting.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhaus
There are dozens of better fights for Kastidis to take than Guzman anyway. Kastidis would probably look amateurish against the slick Guzman. I imagine the end result would be similar to Arce/Mijares or even Mayweather/Baldomir.

Kastidis is entertaining, but taking on a slick fighter whose style relies on quick reactions and slipping punches just doesn't fit well with Kastidis, either in terms of him having a chance at winning or in terms of the fight being all that exciting.
That's why it would be an intriguing styles matchup, would Joan be able to make Michael dizzy or would he be overcome by his size and power?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

I think it was a shame. I like to add a dimension to Brickhaus excellent assesment, and IntentionalButts likewise excellent question; Guzman does lack defence... Who would steamroll who?
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #9
theunderdog
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 166

i don't feel bummed out because kat/guz got cancelled because amonsot gave one hell of a fight. anyway, i don't think the winner of guzman and soto should move up. mab is nearing the end of his career and jmm-pac will have a maximum two fights against each other, which co there is an opening presented by that
theunderdog is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #10
hmi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt
Because, unfortunately, I don't much trust the old guard of Barrera, Pacquiao and Marquez to look for anything but big-money fights (namely against each other) and stay-busy gimmes. We could well go blue in the face waiting for Guzman, Soto, Valero or Barrios to get a shot at any of them. Meanwhile, there are some intriguing styles matchups just five pounds up.
You mentioned 4 fighters in your 2nd to the last sentence that could fight each other. The winners from the 2 fights can face each other. That's already good for the whole 2008.
hmi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum