Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: next star?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester56
Is Jamie Pittman at the elite level to take on Felix Sturm, who gave Oscar a lot of trouble?
Its a big step up. I would like to see him fight some better competition first, not just get thrown in the deep end. He certainly has the ability to cause him trouble though!
MSTR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I havent really been overly impressed with Sturm since the De la Hoya fight. And putting that fight into context, the hype just wasnt necessary.

De la Hoya was underprepared, out of shape and way out of his comfort zone in that fight.

Sturm just hasnt look the good since, and I think the KO loss has affected him even more. In his less than stellar peformances against Masoe and Castillejo, he looked intimidated and lost.

Not sure Pitty has the power to scare Sturm but he certainly has the imposing physical size and tricky style to give Felix a hard time.
I still say at this stage, Sturm in Germany against a non-puncher is very hard to knock off, if he is under siege he can be beaten but if is up against someone who can hurt him bad, he may well work his way to decision just doing what he has to.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #18
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
I havent really been overly impressed with Sturm since the De la Hoya fight. And putting that fight into context, the hype just wasnt necessary.

De la Hoya was underprepared, out of shape and way out of his comfort zone in that fight.

Sturm just hasnt look the good since, and I think the KO loss has affected him even more. In his less than stellar peformances against Masoe and Castillejo, he looked intimidated and lost.

Not sure Pitty has the power to scare Sturm but he certainly has the imposing physical size and tricky style to give Felix a hard time.
I still say at this stage, Sturm in Germany against a non-puncher is very hard to knock off, if he is under siege he can be beaten but if is up against someone who can hurt him bad, he may well work his way to decision just doing what he has to.
Sturm style is perfectly suited to someone like Pittman. Pittman through his southpaw stance and speed, will negate almost all of his advantages. The fact that Sturm employs a turtle shell defense, will mean that Pittman will have opportunity to land and then get back out before Sturm has a chance to respond. This is very winnable for Pittman, but I would just like to see him fight a couple world ranked guys first in 12 rounders to get experience fighting at a world class pace.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #19
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

On paper yes.
But Pitty has to really get some experience up against high calibre opposition.

From what Ive seen and the reports of his last two fights, Jamie just seems to be settling into a style that is just enough and not overly aggressive.
He needs some guys that push him, his last fight sounded like the guy was trying to be tricky and just survive for the most part. From reports Jamie was happy just to jab and one-two his way to the decision.

He have to take the fight from Sturm at home, really beat him up I feel.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #20
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

You already said that
Im reading today but not taking anything in, I have an exam next week, its going to be a disaster.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum