Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #16
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Best Offensive Boxers ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Frazier.
Frazier was a chainsaw, great pick. 27 knockouts in 32 wins is nice, even more so when you take into account the only victims that went the distance were Ali, Bonavena twice, S**** Iron Johnson who was near impossible to get out of there when he was on his game, and the super durable Joe Bugner.

I love watching Joe, there was no escaping from him. Really the only way to avoid getting pummelled by him was to get him before he got you (Foreman)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Alotta good ones mentioned so far. I especially agree with Frazier and Chavez, but let me add LaMotta and the best of all Mike Tyson. I know that he tried not to get hit while he came barreling in, but this guy was an offensive machine. I know it's been said, but with all the bashing of modern fighters we were all lucky to be fight fans when this guy was in the game.

Had to edit to add Henry Armstrong.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

for me the best offensivee fighters are the boxer punchers who set up there shots and then get there man out like Alexis Arguello, Carlos Ortiz, Tommy Hearns, Joe Louis

I love guys like that (almost as much as the defensive geniuses).
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid View Post
Alotta good ones mentioned so far. I especially agree with Frazier and Chavez, but let me add LaMotta and the best of all Mike Tyson. I know that he tried not to get hit while he came barreling in, but this guy was an offensive machine. I know it's been said, but with all the bashing of modern fighters we were all lucky to be fight fans when this guy was in the game.

Had to edit to add Henry Armstrong.
Nice post, people like to talk about how proven Tyson is, but for me that offensive skillset is amazing. The footwork, the technique employed within that style, the combinations to either body or head, and best of all, the combinations to both. The countering with devastating results, just amazing in the context of this thread.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #20
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Nice post, people like to talk about how proven Tyson is, but for me that offensive skillset is amazing. The footwork, the technique employed within that style, the combinations to either body or head, and best of all, the combinations to both. The countering with devastating results, just amazing in the context of this thread.
Damn T, he threw alotta punches, threw 'em fast and on target, most of 'em with as he said, "Bad intentions." What an exciting fighter. Like Greg does, I probably prize the defensive masters over the heated offensive guys, but if you got a guy like Tyson in the ring you know you're going to see an exciting fight.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #21
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Damn T, he threw alotta punches, threw him fast and on target, also most of 'em with as he said, "Bad intentions." What an exciting fighter. Like Greg does, I probably prize the defensive masters over the heated offensive guys, but if you got a guy like Tyson in the ring you know you're going to see an exciting fight.
Yeah definitely, in his prime you were usually treated to a very special snippet you could keep playing over (if you recorded it!), where you'd just be in awe and wow at it. Yeah when i see great defence i'm just in awe totally, but the kind of offence we're talking here has me in that same type of awe, because we're not just talking aggression (which is admirable in its own right), but pure offensive skill, something special.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Tyson for me was one of the best at combining defence and offence. very good at it when he was young.

i watched some of when he was an amatuer and he was so offensive he had no defence its amazing how much he came on in the pros.

another one that deserves a mention here is your man Teeto

Manos De Piedra
Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

**** Ruben Olivares needs to be mentioned, Fighting Harada in a different sense, but mentioned all the same.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #24
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Tyson for me was one of the best at combining defence and offence. very good at it when he was young.

i watched some of when he was an amatuer and he was so offensive he had no defence its amazing how much he came on in the pros.

another one that deserves a mention here is your man Teeto

Manos De Piedra
Yeah i posted a nice vid of Duran for you on page 1. Tyson and Duran are possibly the two finest exponents of the fine art of combining great defense with prolific offense.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Yeah definitely, in his prime you were usually treated to a very special snippet you could keep playing over (if you recorded it!), where you'd just be in awe and wow at it. Yeah when i see great defence i'm just in awe totally, but the kind of offence we're talking here has me in that same type of awe, because we're not just talking aggression (which is admirable in its own right), but pure offensive skill, something special.
Yeah, I mean you can't go in sloppily, mindlessly and not take shots; if you're in there with anybody who can hit you're probably goin' down. None of the great offensive fighters were slobs.
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #26
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

sorry Teeto i cant see videos as im on a different computer as my one dosent seem to work

How did i forgot Olivares

in the vein of Harada you got Chung Koo Chang
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, I mean you can't go in sloppily, mindlessly and not take shots; if you're in there with anybody who can hit you're probably goin' down. None of the great offensive fighters were slobs.
Yeah i mean i do have plenty of respect for the type of fighter who is aggressive and willing to take 3 to land 1, but it's more 'wow what a warrior' in respect rather than being speechless at how good he was. I explaining myself okay Chinx? Sorry if not! We need some more vids in this thread i think.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #28
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
sorry Teeto i cant see videos as im on a different computer as my one dosent seem to work

How did i forgot Olivares

in the vein of Harada you got Chung Koo Chang
Yeah Sweet Pea mentioned Chang already. Not having a good day here are you kiddo?! Only kidding. Harada was amazingly dynamic and accurate at the same time, when on offense, so difficult to get the better of.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #29
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

im half asleep haha

how do i miss alll these, must be going scouse

yeh Harada was good wasnt he i love the i think 4th round vs jofrre where he hurts him and must land about 100 punches on him then Jofre comes back in the next round its mental
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
im half asleep haha

how do i miss alll these, must be going scouse

yeh Harada was good wasnt he i love the i think 4th round vs jofrre where he hurts him and must land about 100 punches on him then Jofre comes back in the next round its mental
Yeah i luv that, Sweet Scientist was saying he does as well. Jofre comes back with them long inverted bolo shot type punches, and plenty of them, class, accurate as you like.
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum