Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
hellblazer
All-Time Great™
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default `Pacquiao Best fighting form in years’

‘Best fighting form in years’

PINOY boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao wrapped up his Cebu training with an exciting 10-round sparring at the RWS International Gym yesterday.

Pacquiao, according to his trainers, is more dangerous than ever and is in his best fighting form in years.

Pacquiao will leave for Los Angeles tonight together with his trainers Freddie Roach and Buboy Fernandez and his two Mexican sparring partners.

After he completed his routine, Pacquiao again thanked Cebuanos for the warm welcome and asked them to pray for him as he goes through the final week of his preparation at the Wild Card Gym in the US.

“I would like to thank the Cebuanos. I promise to do whatever it takes so that I could give happiness to the Filipinos and to all my fans,” Pacquiao said.

Pacquiao completed a total of 112 rounds and is already 100 percent in shape, his trainers said. By the time he will face Marco Antonio Barrera on Oct. 6 (Oct. 7, RP time) at the Mandalay Bay, the Filipino boxing superstar will be 105 percent ready.

“There’s more training at the Wild Card gym when we arrive there. Manny will be 105 percent ready by the time we hit Las
Vegas,” said Roach.

If the outcome of the fight is satisfying for Roach, Pacquiao will train again in Cebu for his next fight.

Pacquiao arrived in Cebu and started training last Aug. 15. His decision to train here placed Cebu City in the international boxing spotlight with people tracking his training closely daily.

Roach said Pacquiao’s hard work resulted in his best fighting form in years.

David Rodela, on of his Mexican sparring partners, said Pacquiao is even more dangerous right now and has added new weapons on his arsenal.

“Manny is more dangerous now. I have been his sparring partner for his past four fights and I never see him this fit. I just pray for Barrera though,” Rodela said. (RCM)

Source:
Code:
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/09/22/sports/.best.fighting.form.in.years..html
hellblazer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: `Pacquiao Best fighting form in years’

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellblazer

“There’s more training at the Wild Card gym when we arrive there. Manny will be 105 percent ready by the time we hit Las
Vegas,” said Roach.

Great, so there should be no excuses should he get beat.
acb is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
enzo
Greatest Of All Time
East Side Guru

AFTER READING THIS ARTICLE I DOUBT IT IF PAC IS REALLY 100%

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

DON'T WORRY, MANNY IS OKAY
It has become a mantra in the boxing soap opera, "As Manny's World Turns." Trainer Freddie Roach gets a lot of air time on the show, but the line he most often has to say is, "Don't worry, Manny is okay." But is he? After going through more distractions for his Oct. 6 fight with Marco Antonio Barrera that any boxer in recent memory, many are wondering: will Manny Pacquiao have his head screwed on straight when he enters the ring.
by Nat Gottlieb

First the Cliff Notes on "As Manny's World Turns." Starting in May:

Manny falls in love with the notion of being a congressman. He campaigns hard in the Philippines, where he is a national icon, spends a ton of money, but the voters break his heart. They spurn him for another.

Manny perks up when Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank kiss and make up. He gets his second love, a rematch with Barrera. Manny is supposed to report to Roach's Wild Card Gym around the second week in July to begin preparing for his big night out. A plane with his Filipino training team and equipment is waiting for him on the runway. Manny backs out and cancels the flight in order to take care of a multitude of business deals he is involved in, including a movie he is filming with beautiful Filipino actress Ara Mina. The movie is an action/comedy. Mina plays a reporter covering an insurgency. Manny portrays a rebel and uses method acting.

Life back home continues to be so hectic that Manny keeps putting off his Wild Card arrival. He squeezes some training in between making commercials, filming the movie and signing product endorsements ranging from an herbal sleeping pill to beer, ice cream and vinegar. He also can't resist an old flame, basketball, which he plays when ever he can in a Filipino league.

Meanwhile, back in L.A., when asked about his boxing star's absence and his conditioning, Roach says: "Don't worry, Manny is okay."

Manny finally makes his fashionably late grand appearance in Los Angeles the second week of August for a press conference. Roach tells the media Manny will start working at the Wild Card the next day. Without informing Roach, Manny flies right back to the Philippines. When Roach contacts him, Manny tells him he went back because he was afraid there might be "Barrera spies" watching what he was working on in the gym. The mild-mannered Roach can only laugh and mutter "spies." For Manny's last three fights, Roach closed down the gym to outsiders.

Soon another reason for Manny's return to the Philippines surfaces. Manny, who is reported on daily more than Paris Hilton and Britney Spears combined, makes the Filipino scandal sheets. Rumors abound that he is having a romantic liaison with the ***y Ara Mina. His wife Jinkee is upset. Manny denies the affair emphatically, as does Mina, who says she often goes on "dates" with her leading men and crew members to build harmony on the set. Jinkee is mollified. All is well in the Pacquiao House. But Manny still balks at coming to L.A. He decides to train the first six weeks in Cebu City, the last two in the Wild Card and Vegas.

Unflappable Freddie tells the American media it's not a big deal, "Manny is doing fine."

Roach prepares to fly to the Philippines to train Manny. Manny has a change of heart. He says he is coming to L.A. after all. Roach unpacks. Two days later Manny has another change of heart. He is staying in the Philippines to train at friend and confidant Rex "Wakee" Salud's RWS Gym in Cebu. Roach repacks and flies to Cebu.

Training begins. Manny is happy. Roach is not. The trainer was assured security would keep out Manny's hordes of fans. They do not. The gym is filled with people who have flocked to Cebu to see their matinee idol. "Manny loves to play to the crowd. It is taking away from his focus," Roach tells the Filipino media. Roach threatens to pull out and return to Los Angeles unless security does its job. He gives Salud one last chance. "He's not focusing on the fight, he's focusing on the fans. If nothing happens, I am going home."

Order is restored at the gym. The fans are kept out. Roach stays. Manny is training well. Then on Friday, Aug. 31, he comes down with a contagious flu that was making the rounds of Cebu. His doctor prescribes medicine, two days rest and tells Manny to avoid contact with people. There was no indication from Manny what he found hardest: taking the pills, missing training or avoiding contact with his fans.

By Sunday Manny is feeling better. The doctor okays a walk around the hotel. Roach waits in his own room for a call from Pacquiao to inform him he was ready to go for the walk. No call comes. It was 10 a.m. Roach figured Pacquiao was still sleeping. He was not.

Feeling better, Manny sneaks out of the hotel, drives to Cebu City Sports Complex where he plays a game of basketball against the Cebu media. When he gets back to the hotel, Roach is told by Manny "he only ran up and down the court a little." What he doesn't tell Roach is he scored 30 points.

Manny returns to training hard and is looking good. So well that by the end of the week Manny feels he can take the weekend off to sign an agreement with GMA 7, which will telecast the fight, and to ink a deal to host a sports-oriented reality show and a possible telenovela.

Roach assures the media that Manny was back in Cebu on Sunday evening and was in bed by 9 p.m. On Monday, Manny returns to the gym for sparring. Roach, in his daily report to the hordes of Filipino media says: "Manny went ten good rounds," and indicated the workout was "pretty good for a Monday," considering he took the weekend off.

Manny is training now with great intensity and everybody in the Pacquiao camp is happy.

Meanwhile, Manny's opponent is working in total isolation in the high altitude mountains of Guadalajara. He allows no distractions.

Why is any of this important? Because both fighters have said they each lost a major fight because of outside distractions.

Pacquiao blames his loss in his first fight with Erik Morales in 2005 on distractions. Pacquiao blames his loss in his first fight with Erik Morales in 2005 on distractions. Every day the Wild Card was packed with his fans who cheered Manny's every move. Hangers on jammed his hotel suite. When he wasn't training, he was meeting with lawyers and managers to develop a strategy to sever ties with his then promoter, Murad Muhammad, whom Manny's team claims was shortchanging him on purse money.

Ron Borges, who writes for HBO, filed this post-fight account after Morales won: "As the days wore on, Pacquiao wore down. His focus on Morales seemed to slip away until he appeared to be only a shadow himself when Fight Night finally came. He fought bravely, as always, but he did not fight well and he was punished for it. Pacquiao's tactics seemed nonexistent, and his stubborn insistence on finding a way to knock out the resilient Morales with one punch led him to a painful defeat."

Barrera blames his TKO loss to Manny in 2003 on distractions. The Mexican fighter is very addicted to routine. His training camps are scripted the same way down to the T. He does not like change. For the first fight with Manny, Barrera went through the mother of distractions.

He was undergoing a painful professional divorce from longtime manager/promoter Ricardo Maldonado. The separation meant that Barrera also lost the services of his longtime trainer, Oscar Maldonado, who is Ricardo's son.

Then, while training in the mountains of Big Bear Lake in California, Barrera was blindsided when Maldonado leaked information to the media that the boxer had undergone brain surgery two years ago. Barrera, who trains with tremendous focus and intensity, had to deal with an onslaught of media questions. He explained that the surgery was very minor to remove a small cyst. In the middle of this circus, Barrera had to evacuate his camp when wild fires threatened Big Bear.

When the fight came, Barrera looked lethargic and unfocused in the ring, and was dominated by the underdog, Pacquiao. In the post-fight press conference Barrera would say: "I couldn't see a lot of things. I wasn't concentrating. I wasn't feeling like myself. I don't know what went wrong, but it wasn't me (in the ring)."

This time, Barrera has had no distractions. He has talked about retiring, and this may be his last fight. He sounds like a man on a mission.

"I am not just fighting for personal revenge. I'm fighting for my country and my fellow Mexican fighters who have fallen victim to Pacquiao," the Mexican said from training camp. "I am training harder than I ever have. I want to beat Manny so badly I can taste it. This goes beyond being personal. For me, this fight is about restoring national pride."

As for Manny, it was recently announced that he would be starring in a sitcom with another beautiful Filipino actress, Rufa Mae Quinto. His producers promise this will not disrupt the schedule of his training. Taping of the sitcom will start only after the Barrera fight. Manny has taken a similar stance about finishing the movie with Ara Mina.

According to a recent report in the Philippine Inquirer, shooting of the film will resume only after the fight. The movie will be entered in the Manila Film Festival in December. Asked to comment on his kissing scene with Ara Mina, "Manny responded with a shy grin."

Recently this comment surfaced from Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Barrera through his company, Golden Boy Promotions. When asked what he thought of Barrera's chances to beat Pacquiao, De La Hoya was quoted as saying: "The more I hear about Pacquiao's distractions, the more I think he (Barrera) can pull off the upset."

Stay tuned.

enzo is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

So much conflicting news, there have been too many stories coming out of PAc's camp to be all busllhshit. I think he was slacking off for a lot of camp, and is now trying to make up for a weak beginning to his camp. I think the tale will be told in the latter part of the fight, I think Pacquiao may gass out.
jopez707 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
hellblazer
All-Time Great™
ESB Addict

old news
my article is the latest.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
enzo
Greatest Of All Time
East Side Guru

It might be old but you can see it cleary what pac has been doing during his training camp... They can say whatever they want that pac is 105% but the fact remains that pac hasn't been 100% focus during his training.
enzo is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
hellblazer
All-Time Great™
ESB Addict

are you the same enzo from Pacland?

anyway Pac is very focus in his training here in the Philippines, he will
be 100% prepared come fight night.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
enzo
Greatest Of All Time
East Side Guru

Don't get me wrong i'm on pacs corner... but i'm not quite confident on his conditioning though. Remember the larios fight? they were saying the same thing, that he was in great condtion but it's very obvious he wasn't.

But if ever it's true that pac is already 100 percent then i'm pretty sure mab wont last 7 rnds.
enzo is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellblazer
‘Best fighting form in years’

PINOY boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao wrapped up his Cebu training with an exciting 10-round sparring at the RWS International Gym yesterday.

Pacquiao, according to his trainers, is more dangerous than ever and is in his best fighting form in years.

Pacquiao will leave for Los Angeles tonight together with his trainers Freddie Roach and Buboy Fernandez and his two Mexican sparring partners.

After he completed his routine, Pacquiao again thanked Cebuanos for the warm welcome and asked them to pray for him as he goes through the final week of his preparation at the Wild Card Gym in the US.

“I would like to thank the Cebuanos. I promise to do whatever it takes so that I could give happiness to the Filipinos and to all my fans,” Pacquiao said.

Pacquiao completed a total of 112 rounds and is already 100 percent in shape, his trainers said. By the time he will face Marco Antonio Barrera on Oct. 6 (Oct. 7, RP time) at the Mandalay Bay, the Filipino boxing superstar will be 105 percent ready.

Vegas,” said Roach.

If the outcome of the fight is satisfying for Roach, Pacquiao will train again in Cebu for his next fight.

Pacquiao arrived in Cebu and started training last Aug. 15. His decision to train here placed Cebu City in the international boxing spotlight with people tracking his training closely daily.

Roach said Pacquiao’s hard work resulted in his best fighting form in years.

David Rodela, on of his Mexican sparring partners, said Pacquiao is even more dangerous right now and has added new weapons on his arsenal.

“Manny is more dangerous now. I have been his sparring partner for his past four fights and I never see him this fit. I just pray for Barrera though,” Rodela said. (RCM)

Source:
Code:
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2007/09/22/sports/.best.fighting.form.in.years..html
112 rounds, eh?

Marciano several times put in 250. And Manny is probably one of (if not the most) hard core core dudes around today.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
boxbox
Champion
East Side Guru

hehehe...maybe the odds are swinging too much, that's marketing for you people. What are the odds right now? few people were betting for MAB a few months ago..after these marketing strategies, i think it has even out fairly well.
boxbox is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #11
compukiller
Champion
East Side Guru

"..., who says she often goes on "dates" with her leading men and crew members to build harmony on the set. "

compukiller is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
nighthunter
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbox
hehehe...maybe the odds are swinging too much, that's marketing for you people. What are the odds right now? few people were betting for MAB a few months ago..after these marketing strategies, i think it has even out fairly well.

very well said
nighthunter is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #13
hellblazer
All-Time Great™
ESB Addict

in the Larios fight, i think Pac was only 80 prepared for that fight.
And he let fight goes up to 12 rnds...to put on a show and probably a bonus (commercials and sponsors)
from the Philippine network who broadcast that fight (nationwide)
But this rematch with MAB is different, this an important fight and for sure Pac will be 100% come fight night.
Mab is still dangerous and he's aching for revenge
Old 09-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #14
Grabonator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo
Don't get me wrong i'm on pacs corner... but i'm not quite confident on his conditioning though. Remember the larios fight? they were saying the same thing, that he was in great condtion but it's very obvious he wasn't.

But if ever it's true that pac is already 100 percent then i'm pretty sure mab wont last 7 rnds.
Believe me, he will not even last 5.
Grabonator is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum