Old 09-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cristian Mijares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Yes, but Arce was definitley off in comparison to other bouts. I feel Rojas may have been the wrong choice stylistically for a rebound fight after that horrible thrashing.

Arce literally got 'Lacy'd' against Mijares, it may or may not have diminshed his attributes.
Despite the fact that Arce had moved up, he was still 3 weightclass champ. Let's just say that Arce can't perform at this weight as well, or isn't as good as made out to be - Mijares can't be faulted.

Just like Calzaghe can't, for showing that Lacy wasn't all that. When I think about it, this is a good comparison, and I think that Mijares did even better, because he never sacrificed his defence, while picking on Arce.
DanePugilist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #17
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanePugilist
Despite the fact that Arce had moved up, he was still 3 weightclass champ. Let's just say that Arce can't perform at this weight as well, or isn't as good as made out to be - Mijares can't be faulted.

Just like Calzaghe can't, for showing that Lacy wasn't all that. When I think about it, this is a good comparison, and I think that Mijares did even better, because he never sacrificed his defence, while picking on Arce.
was he??
He was only the interim champ at fly and he never won a title at superfly.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #18
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

He doesn't quite have the resume to be ranked in the top 10 pound for pound (if that is what you base it on), but if you base a pound for pound list by skill and ability, you can definitely make a case. He could become a great fighter in the lower weight classes and the next great Mexican champion.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #19
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
was he??
He was only the interim champ at fly and he never won a title at superfly.
Sorry - it was only two - I just thought they said three prior to the match. Had he beaten Mijares - it would have been 3.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #20
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
He doesn't quite have the resume to be ranked in the top 10 pound for pound (if that is what you base it on), but if you base a pound for pound list by skill and ability, you can definitely make a case. He could become a great fighter in the lower weight classes and the next great Mexican champion.
I thought about skill and ability.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 AM   #21
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Sorry - it was only two - I just thought they said three prior to the match. Had he beaten Mijares - it would have been 3.
Still only 1 really, he was only the interim champ.
No way was he better than Pong at any stage of his flyweight career.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Still only 1 really, he was only the interim champ.
No way was he better than Pong at any stage of his flyweight career.
Well going by what they said on the show, he was 2 weightclass champ - and was trying to tie Chavez' feat by winning 3. If that is wrong, then the commentators are wrong also(not that it is unlikely). To them the interim seemingly counted...

Nonetheless, it still shows he could perform at different classes - and as I have said before, even if Arce is considered not to be all that(I would disagree though), then Mijares did nothing wrong and showed he is elite.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:31 AM   #23
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

A weightclass titlist is way different to a weight class champ.
Plus Arce was never a full titlist at flyweight anyways.

Commentators will always put a bias on things, they are wrong by my definition of the term "2 weightclass champ".

Comparing Arce's feat to Chavez's is sacrilege. It weakens the significance of what it means to be champ, when people start accepting that the feats of the true greats are comparable to that of fighter of Arce's calibre.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 AM   #24
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
A weightclass titlist is way different to a weight class champ.
Plus Arce was never a full titlist at flyweight anyways.

Commentators will always put a bias on things, they are wrong by my definition of the term "2 weightclass champ".

Comparing Arce's feat to Chavez's is sacrilege. It weakens the significance of what it means to be champ, when people start accepting that the feats of the true greats are comparable to that of fighter of Arce's calibre.
I have this written behind my ears.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #25
Carlos Primera
Martinez is a badman
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

arce is a one dimensional pressure fighting brawler, but imo he's more than proved his substance in tough fights. his loss to carbajal alone imo is better than what lacy did in his career up to the point of the calzaghe bout.

the good thing about mijares fighting in/around this weight class is the depth. as opposed to a prospect like chad dawson whose possibility of good fights is limited to the future jump of joe cal/kessler to 175. mijares has the opportunity to go up against good fighters. a chess match like fight with one of the best in/around that weight with castillo will be like a mini super fight for me. a fight with montiel would be entertaining. i'd like too see him dismantle darchinyan. i'd like too see him destroy anyone of those over protected thai's. going up agaisnt a slugger like munoz would be a good chin testing fight. a possible jump to bantam against a very good veteran in penalosa or good prospect like sidorenko etc.... only big problem is that most of these small guys are overly protected by their promoters, which could hurt these fights being made. most logical fight right now would be going after montiel (most possible to be made).
Carlos Primera is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #26
hmi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke
arce is a one dimensional pressure fighting brawler, but imo he's more than proved his substance in tough fights. his loss to carbajal alone imo is better than what lacy did in his career up to the point of the calzaghe bout.

the good thing about mijares fighting in/around this weight class is the depth. as opposed to a prospect like chad dawson whose possibility of good fights is limited to the future jump of joe cal/kessler to 175. mijares has the opportunity to go up against good fighters. a chess match like fight with one of the best in/around that weight with castillo will be like a mini super fight for me. a fight with montiel would be entertaining. i'd like too see him dismantle darchinyan. i'd like too see him destroy anyone of those over protected thai's. going up agaisnt a slugger like munoz would be a good chin testing fight. a possible jump to bantam against a very good veteran in penalosa or good prospect like sidorenko etc.... only big problem is that most of these small guys are overly protected by their promoters, which could hurt these fights being made. most logical fight right now would be going after montiel (most possible to be made).
well said...

Last edited by Flatlander; 06-29-2006 at 01:06 AM.
hmi is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #27
hmi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Who is Flatlander and how come he appeared in my post as if he really edited my post? Is this a bug?
hmi is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

I like Cristian's jab, he can throw it going forwards or backwards. It is very good. Though I will reserve my judgement on him for now, due to Arce's last display. It raises a small questionmark, which will be answered soon enough. Definitely promising though.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #29
DanePugilist
God vs God - Death Angel
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke

Thank you for your assesment.

I think that fights vs Vic and Sidorenko would be nice. Then again, as you say, there are still matches to be made in his own division. So - Maybe a rematch vs Maldonado, if he gets past Lopez, or Montiel.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum