Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Do alphabet titles dilute fighters legacies and punish them in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
He's going to bring up the wbo thing i think, or did hop get that as well actually? Can't remember.
cant mine either, CBA checking aswell

think he has a fair shout anyway
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #32
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do alphabet titles dilute fighters legacies and punish them in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
cant mine either, CBA checking aswell

think he has a fair shout anyway
Course he's a fair shout, the man was THE middleweight champion, no two ways about it.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #33
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
TBooze would you not say Hopkins was a universal world champion?
I would... But there (has, has been mentioned) are others who stop the truly universal recognition thing.

In fact as the sport stands at the moment, I would say it is near impossible that we will ever have a Universal champion again.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
To an extent. I think it allows certain fighters not to face other title holders because in their mind they already have a title.

If there was only one champion people would still want to fight him to get the title. People can hide behind ABC titles and avoid facing 'the man' (who, regardless of the title he holds is usually recognisable in a division) due to them already holding a 'belt'.
That's a great opinion.The only time you usually saw people unify back in the day, was due to some huge money being earned.I will always respect Salvador Sanchez, Aaron Pryor, and Larry Holmes, but to some extent, they could have unified.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #35
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Before I start, I will say that I love the purity of linearity and idealistically this would be the way forward, but it isn't for 2 main reasons:

1) Prestige
2) Lack of enforcement

1) the prestige right now i in picking up a title and unifying. That's the reality we live in today. A boxer gets their promoter to play the sanctioning game, they earn a title shot and they usually seek unification providing equal terms can be secured.

2) a lineal claimant has no requirement to face anyone of any worth (think Foreman 94-97). Whilst the Alpha rankings are paid for, the idea is sound in that a man should face his best challengers.

Pretending that there is only one champ per division is futile as is pretending the belts mean nothing. The reality is the belts are what the fighters seek and there can be upwards of 5 claimants at anyone time. opefully they'll unify claims but more often than not we just have to decide ourselves who the best of the bunch is.

Saying that, context has to be remembered here in that unifying 3 or 4 belts is akin to the 30-60's crowd defending against their top 3-4 contenders.

they don't dilute anything, they just make it harder to compare and evaluate.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #36
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

these fights unless fought against a truly regarded opponent, should only been seen as "just another fight"...

but IF against an accepted top notch opponent, then OK, rated & pointed in the case of a BoxRec type computer scoring system.

but as for Legacy, counted If ONLY against a true opponent!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #37
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It's the alphabet belts combined with the excess of weight divisions that really devalues things.
I don't think it necessarily dilutes fighters' legacies. It depends on who is rating the legacy. It has tended to destroy the concept of a world title though.
It just gets ridiculous.
Some of the younger fans say things like "____ an ATG ? You must be smoking crack. He's only won four world titles !"
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
Punisher73
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
On lots of occasions; but the last truly generally considered universal world champion would be Mike Tyson who lost that title in May 1989.
That is where my thinking was going. In the case of Tyson, I think that it helped his legacy because he unified all the seperate titles and showed that he was the best at that time.

Without any unification of the titles, it hurts the fighters because no one knows who was really the best because you have so many world champions at the same time.
Punisher73 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think alphabet titles dilute the legacies of contenders of the past.
As for the legacies of ABC champions, I'd say on the whole it probably enhances them even on here, the classic, apart from a few people.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #40
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
On lots of occasions; but the last truly generally considered universal world champion would be Mike Tyson who lost that title in May 1989.
I was thinking either Pernell Whitaker, or Riddick Bowe.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #41
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I asses the legacies of contemporary fighters as if alphabet titles do not exist, when I compare them to fighters from the era when there was only one title. That might sound harsh, but it is the only fair way. There is not alphabet belt today worth more than the coloured heavyweight title that Sam Langford and Harry Wills held.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #42
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
On a positve note, alphabet straps look good to some degree on a fighter's resume, in that they can at least have the claim to having held some sort of trincket that is labeled as a " world title. " On a negative note, such belts have often led to much fan confusion, corrupt poilitics, and can sometimes prevent THE BEST fights from happening. They also take some of the attention and spotlight away from the fighters who are truly the best, because there are multiple men running around with world fragments.

As long as the champion defends against multiple top ten level opponents, it matters not if he is an alphabet title holder.
Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum