Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #46
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 793
vCash: 625
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

i train late at night and by the time i get to have a recovery meal it is about 9:30 or 10:00 would i be wise to eat slow digesting carbs at this time or just fast digesting to replinish stores?

thanks!
cool-cat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #47
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcla View Post
i train late at night and by the time i get to have a recovery meal it is about 9:30 or 10:00 would i be wise to eat slow digesting carbs at this time or just fast digesting to replinish stores?

thanks!
Doesn't matter much, as both will be up for digestion right away. And unless you take carbs only, digestion of sugars will be slowed down anyway by concurrent digestion of the fats and proteins that you also need.

In my opinion the perfect post workout meal is a smoothie.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #48
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 793
vCash: 625
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
In my opinion the perfect post workout meal is a smoothie.
is the smoothie mixed with protein powder?

thanks
cool-cat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #49
Constantine
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 1000
Red face Re: Nutrition for boxing

Meal 1... I have never made or drank a smoothie in my life. How much of each do you throw into the blender? Could I get a more specific recipe from you please? I could Google but you seem to know what you are talking about and I fear accidentally click Yahoo Answers
Constantine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:43 PM   #50
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmcla View Post
is the smoothie mixed with protein powder?

thanks
Mine isn't, but you can throw some in if you want.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #51
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Meal 1... I have never made or drank a smoothie in my life. How much of each do you throw into the blender? Could I get a more specific recipe from you please? I could Google but you seem to know what you are talking about and I fear accidentally click Yahoo Answers
Two bananas, about 3/4th of a liter yogurt, one cup of orange juice, then put in berries until the blender is full. Add some flaxseed, and some whey if you want, and blend. It's not mathematics, just throw some in and if you don't like it change it up next time.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #52
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

On weight loss, by SouthpawSlayer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
if you want to lose weight follow these simple rules and and ill throw in some theories with them

1. stop weighing yourself everyday, i know your weight can change daily but your body fat % doesnt, you might be lighter than the day before its only down to your stores and hydration levels, you might weigh yourself some day and be heavier than the next which can be demotivating, the most i would advise is once per week

2. eat a well balanced diet, try to include your fats , carbs , protein , vitamins and water in moderate amounts, dont try to limit the amount of calories you are eating, if you cut down on your food intake you will see weight loss results for the first week and then the results will decrease until around the 5th week to where no additional weight is being lost, this is the process known as yo yo dieting when usually a woman goes on one of these diets (atkins for example) lose weight over the next few weeks results die off then after 6 weeks they come off the diet and go back to their regular eating patterns and pile the weight back on. the problem here is that the body adapts to the decreasing amount of calories being consumed and the individuals metabolism slows down something terrible, it slows to the point where it only uses what the body consumes, this individual will suffer from constant fatigue, drowsiness and feeling drained and tired. then the body becomes use to only using 400 clas per day say, and when they go back to their usual eating when they stop the diet suddenly the body is getting 2000 cals per day and the body is only using 400 cals, these excess cals go straight to fat stores, hence the yo yo term

3. eat regularly - this is linked a lot to the point number 2 except the opoosite, eating regularly maintains high energy levels throughout the day and raises your metabolic rate, aim for 5 to 6 small meals per day, try include all nutrients in a meal. i know this is hard but aim for over 3, if hungry snack during the day on fruit or nuts

4. regular exercise - this with a well balanced diet is the key to weight loss, regular exercise is only possible when the body has sufficient energy to work out so this again is linked to points 2 and 3, if you are limiting yoour cals to the point where your body has no energy to workout you are pissing in the wind. you lose weight in the long term by decreasing your body fat %, which can be done with exercise such as cardio based, runs, cycles, rowing, cross trainer, swimming, the maximum fat burning zone is when your heart rate is between 125 and 140, i recommend you buy a hr monitor as teh ones you find on the machines in the gyms are shit and pointless, aim for these runs and cycles etc to last over 30 mins, if your glycogen levels are very high you will use that energy mainly first, however after exercising your glycogen levels will start to decrease and this is when your body will seek energy from your fat stores and burn fat. i would recommend you also do some weights, just machines to start off, this will enable you to lose weight in the long term again as it will increase your basal metabolic rate, the more exercise you do the more you can increase intensity

5. stay hydrated - your urine should be clear or just off being clear, if you go do a lot of exercise and you feel good because the scales says you have lost 2 kg's, that is not 2 kg's of body fat its 2 kg's mainly of water, our bodies are made up of water and it needs to be replaced for us to work properly, make sure you replace whatever whatever you lose, the general rule is if you lose 1 kg in weight drink 1 litre of water, exercising when dehydrated is impossible

remember set your goals for the long term, i have had women come to me in teh past saying i want to lose a stone before my sisters wedding next month and im thinking you cant do it that way but they seem to think otherwise, body fat takes a while to lose so give yourself time

hope this is helpful, i tried to explain it as best as i could
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #53
Constantine
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Two bananas, about 3/4th of a liter yogurt, one cup of orange juice, then put in berries until the blender is full. Add some flaxseed, and some whey if you want, and blend. It's not mathematics, just throw some in and if you don't like it change it up next time.
And drink that whole thing? Haha. K, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Constantine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #54
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
And drink that whole thing? Haha. K, I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Not in one setting, put some in the fridge for later
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #55
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 1841
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Can I just ask what is the best thing to drink before a work out? I am talking about 1hr and all the way upto the gym session. I know it is probably going to be water but a buddy of mine advised on having an 'energy' drink (you know the ones with the caffeine and huge suger levels) but as I am trying to lose weight I thought it better I kept away from these drinks so I am burning off my own energy stores and not just the ones I have added by drinking the red bull.

Also my friend advised on Ice Tea drinks too but these also seem full of sugar.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #56
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Can I just ask what is the best thing to drink before a work out? I am talking about 1hr and all the way upto the gym session. I know it is probably going to be water but a buddy of mine advised on having an 'energy' drink (you know the ones with the caffeine and huge suger levels) but as I am trying to lose weight I thought it better I kept away from these drinks so I am burning off my own energy stores and not just the ones I have added by drinking the red bull.

Also my friend advised on Ice Tea drinks too but these also seem full of sugar.
Energy drinks are worthless, especially when trying to lose weight. Just stay well fed to keep metabolism going, don't workout on an empty stomach it will only ruin your workout. Stay away from empty sugars, a banana and a glass of water would be a better choice.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #57
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

RDJ i dont drink smoothies i love fruit but i hate the taste of smoothies

wat would be a better post workout meal/snack for me?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #58
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
RDJ i dont drink smoothies i love fruit but i hate the taste of smoothies

wat would be a better post workout meal/snack for me?
How is that even possible? Smoothies taste like fruit

You could just eat the smoothie ingredients unblended
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #59
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 1841
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Energy drinks are worthless, especially when trying to lose weight. Just stay well fed to keep metabolism going, don't workout on an empty stomach it will only ruin your workout. Stay away from empty sugars, a banana and a glass of water would be a better choice.

Thanks.

I try to eat right most of the time but on training days I have a decent diet plan...I am just prone the odd **** up everynow and again.

I keep myself going with fruit and have the regular small meals and a decent breakfast plus try to have a protien shake an hour or so before I train then maybe a bottle of water sipped in the hour before training and maybe raisins.

My probelem is jump onto every fad and stupid piece of advice given to me by gym buddys and everyone else.


I'll keep away from the energy drinks and high sugar drinks in future.


Great thread by the way. No doubt I'' be in again asking another duff question on the subject soon though.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #60
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
How is that even possible? Smoothies taste like fruit

You could just eat the smoothie ingredients unblended
dont like the mix

i really a weird aint it also its quitew sweet abit too sweet

yeh i should just eat them makes sense i ws being dumb
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013