Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #61
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Paul appleby

well we will need to agree to disagree, credit has to go to martin against appleby,your correct theres only 2 boxers in the ring you need to be mentally tough to deal with an intimidating atmosphere.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #62
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Young Paul was just 20 years old and he was the champ so it should have been his crowd. That was the most hostile atmosphere I had ever seen at a fight (pauls mum even had a bottle thrown at her whilst holding her young daughter) And he just got caught up in the whole thing.

Credit to Lindsay for the result but I reckon Lindsay is about as good as he is gonna get and I really dont see him being anything better than domestic level at best whereas Appleby has at least 5 or 6 years before he hits his prime and he is certainly one of the most promising youngsters in the UK imo.

Underdogg, dunno if your trying to cal me a clown mate but Derry was way ahead in that fight before the KO and it wasnt the commentators who influenced that for me. The majority are in agreement with that too.

Simpson however is used to going up against hostile crowds and I would pick him to beat lindsay in any venue.
kerrminator is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #63
PatrickP
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
Young Paul was just 20 years old and he was the champ so it should have been his crowd. That was the most hostile atmosphere I had ever seen at a fight (pauls mum even had a bottle thrown at her whilst holding her young daughter) And he just got caught up in the whole thing.

Credit to Lindsay for the result but I reckon Lindsay is about as good as he is gonna get and I really dont see him being anything better than domestic level at best whereas Appleby has at least 5 or 6 years before he hits his prime and he is certainly one of the most promising youngsters in the UK imo.

Underdogg, dunno if your trying to cal me a clown mate but Derry was way ahead in that fight before the KO and it wasnt the commentators who influenced that for me. The majority are in agreement with that too.

Simpson however is used to going up against hostile crowds and I would pick him to beat lindsay in any venue.
Let's have a bit of clarity here, Appleby is a decent boxer but if anyone has found his level it's him and not Lindsay.
Ask yourself this, if Appleby had beat Lindsay in Scotland by tko and I came on here and said that it only happened because of a hostile crowd, what would your reaction be? Lindsay won fair and square, that's not even debatable.

What are you basing your prediction of Simpson beating Lindsay on? Lindsay is unbeaten, Simpson has lost to Appleby and Matthews (both of whom Lindsay have beaten). I get that you're supporting your fellow Scots but come on.
PatrickP is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #64
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thats flawed logic

Appleby is just 21 and has not even fully physically developed yet but Lindsay is already 27 or 28 but Paul has found his level?

As I said, the crowd was the most hostile I had ever seen. It was the sort of crowd where you knew a fight would have broken out if it hadnt been for the security ushering most of the scottish fans out the back door and into taxi's for their own safety
Old 09-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #65
underdogg2
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrminator View Post
Thats flawed logic

Appleby is just 21 and has not even fully physically developed yet but Lindsay is already 27 or 28 but Paul has found his level?

As I said, the crowd was the most hostile I had ever seen. It was the sort of crowd where you knew a fight would have broken out if it hadnt been for the security ushering most of the scottish fans out the back door and into taxi's for their own safety
yes all 20 of them kerrinator . now listen u our either very bias or dont like lindsay for beating your boy . just give him the credit he deserves appleby was beat by the far round better fighter and that is it so please rap it up. o by the way just tell me who has he to beat to get some credit.
underdogg2 is offline  Top
Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #66
kerrminator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I already gave him credit but still think he has reached his level. He has a good dig but thats not gonna save him everytime, you still need a plan b to fall back on. Whatever happens, dont put him in with anyone world class I just cant see him lasting. Really hope Simpson v Lindsay is made, John thrives on hostile crowds

I just dont see what all the fuss is about.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #67
bangbang

this is getting a bit silly now. appleby was beaten by the better fighter on the night, fair and square. it may have been a hostile crowd but all we know is that lindsay won, simples.

however, i do think appleby is an entertaining fighter and really great to watch. i thought the fight was superb from start to finish - and seemed a great atmosphere (ok a few of the "people" there seemed a little over the top from watching youtube vidoes although a few seemed to give appleby a clap at the end too).
bangbang is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #68
victorhugo4222
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post
Let's have a bit of clarity here, Appleby is a decent boxer but if anyone has found his level it's him and not Lindsay.
Ask yourself this, if Appleby had beat Lindsay in Scotland by tko and I came on here and said that it only happened because of a hostile crowd, what would your reaction be? Lindsay won fair and square, that's not even debatable.

What are you basing your prediction of Simpson beating Lindsay on? Lindsay is unbeaten, Simpson has lost to Appleby and Matthews (both of whom Lindsay have beaten). I get that you're supporting your fellow Scots but come on.
Simpson may have lost to both but the matthews fight is highly debatable and against appleby had a major off night and still only lost a close decision.

Also at least john had the balls to go into the champions home town and try dethrone him against matthews which was another hostile crowd i doubt very much now lindsay is champ he will ever have the balls to fight outside ireland. Props to appleby too for going other there as defending champion and not taking home advantage. IMO opinion the crowd may have got to appleby a bit but the end of the day the better fighter on the night won.

John has now had 9 title fights in his career (5 british, 2 wbu and 2 commonwealth) and only 2 at home so going away wont bother him. Hes also fought almost every top featherweight around so has a wealth of experience so on that basis id take john to beat lindsay and the fact hes now with billy nelson seems to have revived him a bit aswell.
victorhugo4222 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #69
PatrickP
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhugo4222 View Post
Simpson may have lost to both but the matthews fight is highly debatable and against appleby had a major off night and still only lost a close decision.

Also at least john had the balls to go into the champions home town and try dethrone him against matthews which was another hostile crowd i doubt very much now lindsay is champ he will ever have the balls to fight outside ireland. Props to appleby too for going other there as defending champion and not taking home advantage. IMO opinion the crowd may have got to appleby a bit but the end of the day the better fighter on the night won.

John has now had 9 title fights in his career (5 british, 2 wbu and 2 commonwealth) and only 2 at home so going away wont bother him. Hes also fought almost every top featherweight around so has a wealth of experience so on that basis id take john to beat lindsay and the fact hes now with billy nelson seems to have revived him a bit aswell.
Look I wish Appleby and Simpson the best, I actually like them both as fighters. Let's see what happens if Simpson and Lindsay do fight, I still think Lindsay takes it but we won't know until it happens.
PatrickP is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #70
victorhugo4222
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickP View Post
Look I wish Appleby and Simpson the best, I actually like them both as fighters. Let's see what happens if Simpson and Lindsay do fight, I still think Lindsay takes it but we won't know until it happens.
Well hopefully it does happen would be a great fight and also a great night for all us fans. Lets just hope the promoters can make the fight.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #71
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
i doubt very much now lindsay is champ he will ever have the balls to fight outside ireland.
Are you questioning Martin's bravery ?
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #72
victorhugo4222
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEars View Post
Are you questioning Martin's bravery ?
While martin is british champ i doubt very much he will fight anywere other than ireland with his fans generating that sort of atmosphere and intimidating his opponent. Though if he ever got a world title title shot in someone else back garden im sure he wouldnt hesitate fighting outside ireland.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #73
BigEars
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1117

Quote:
While martin is british champ i doubt very much he will fight anywere other than ireland with his fans generating that sort of atmosphere and intimidating his opponent. Though if he ever got a world title title shot in someone else back garden im sure he wouldnt hesitate fighting outside ireland.
Well of course that's the case, because Martin can sell plenty of tickets and he has a big promoter behind him, balls doesn't even come into it.
He had the balls to fight Derry Matthews as the away fighter, yes both were Hayemaker fighters, but the fight was in England and the support of the crowd, commentators and probably at that time Hayemaker themselves would have been with Derry and Lindsay still went there and pulled out the win.

What you are saying is a bit like saying Ricky Hatton didn't have the balls to fight Juan Lascano in Mexico.......why the **** would he fight him in Mexico ?, he's the draw, he's the one with the title and he's the one with the bigger promotional team behind him(who are gonna make sure he gets the fight where best suits him), balls doesn't even come into the equation.

The fact that you admit Lindsay would probably travel for a World title fight says it all. It's not like Lindsay's gotten any gift decisions at home so you shouldn't have to worry about Scottish fighter like Appleby or Simpson having to travel over to face Martin. Infact you can almost guarantee John will get a fairer shake up in Belfast than he did in England(v Matthews and Dazzo Williams).
BigEars is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 02:27 AM   #74
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

i agree, if you win the fight in ireland you get the verdict
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #75
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

the thing is,why hasent martin bee made to defend the title or even purse bids been open ?Jamie Arthur is the mandatory challenger to the belt ...
alba is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum