Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 115,638
vCash: 10000
Default Rene Dettweiler

Spill the beans.

Only names I recognize on his resume are: Gene Pukall (Riddick Bowe 8-round UD comeback victim), Rene blasted him in two minutes flat...Tipton Walker, who Rene stopped like you're supposed to...and a loss to Michael Sprott, who seems to be the type equally capable of winning or losing against good opposition (losing more often but still a constant upset threat).

He's young; has only had a pair of career speedbumps in 26 fights (losses not to worldbeaters, but neither to credibility-derailers); seems to have a nice body on him (no homo) - good length and reach, maintains fairly consistent weight, not a Mr. Universe physique (not that one is demanded or even always appropriate in boxing) but neither poorly proportioned; and has Manfred Wolke (Henry Maske's chief second) in his corner.

That's about all I know. Judging by video of his loss to Cengiz Koc, he seems to be bothered by infighting and reluctant (or too arm-weary) to commit to a jab down the stretch (and "stretch" is a stretch, as this was only an eight-round affair). Stamina may be an issue. Even in the early rounds, before he loses his rhythm, there's a potentially fatal flaw in his jab, too - he twists his lead foot (and in turn his body), leaving him wide open to a counter (orthodox) hook during the extra second it takes him to re-set his base.

Someone a little more familiar with the southpaw Frankfurter give me the lowdown - how serious a contender could he be on the world stage? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he peaking now or is the best yet to come? How will he do against unbeaten Finnish prospect Robert Helenius in October?

Danke.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #2
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Spill the beans.

Only names I recognize on his resume are: Gene Pukall (Riddick Bowe 8-round UD comeback victim), Rene blasted him in two minutes flat...Tipton Walker, who Rene stopped like you're supposed to...and a loss to Michael Sprott, who seems to be the type equally capable of winning or losing against good opposition (losing more often but still a constant upset threat).

He's young; has only had a pair of career speedbumps in 26 fights (losses not to worldbeaters, but neither to credibility-derailers); seems to have a nice body on him (no homo) - good length and reach, maintains fairly consistent weight, not a Mr. Universe physique (not that one is demanded or even always appropriate in boxing) but neither poorly proportioned; and has Manfred Wolke (Henry Maske's chief second) in his corner.

That's about all I know. Judging by video of his loss to Cengiz Koc, he seems to be bothered by infighting and reluctant (or too arm-weary) to commit to a jab down the stretch (and "stretch" is a stretch, as this was only an eight-round affair). Stamina may be an issue. Even in the early rounds, before he loses his rhythm, there's a potentially fatal flaw in his jab, too - he twists his lead foot (and in turn his body), leaving him wide open to a counter (orthodox) hook during the extra second it takes him to re-set his base.

Someone a little more familiar with the southpaw Frankfurter give me the lowdown - how serious a contender could he be on the world stage? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he peaking now or is the best yet to come? How will he do against unbeaten Finnish prospect Robert Helenius in October?

Danke.
No disrespect to Dettweiler but if a guy loses fights to Sprott and Koc there is not a lot that can be said in terms of aspirations on the world stage as those fighters are European level at best. Sprott I would say is at least fringe world class but any capable heavyweight should be able to defeat him.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 08-18-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:45 AM   #3
vick_ramalot
newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 44
vCash: 1553
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

he was only 23 when he was fighting Sprott and it was his first 12-round bout too..
nevertheless he lost clearly to Sprott and this MD was a big joke..
Koc probably had made the best fight in his career vs Dettweiler and was only one round ahead in this 8 round bout. Koc was dead in the later rounds and Dettweiler not able to benefit from that.
But at the end of the day, the problem is Dettweiler is not even a Heavyweight to my eyes.. not physically and not mentally. He has good reach but no good jab and is not able to control a fight or to implement a strategy..
But Dettweiler defeated Pala earlier in his career who is even younger but a very strong fighter for sure. I have seen Helenius only once yet and there he was fighting some bum..
vick_ramalot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
VHB
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 441
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Helenius beats Dettweiler, and then he can start making euros by losing fights.
VHB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
JohnAkiBoa
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ~The Cold Wind Is Blowing from The East~
Posts: 1,291
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

I dont mean helenius is anything Special but he will dominate Dettweiler and win wide ude or stop him late. Helenius used to have hand problems earlier in his fights but those days are gone.
JohnAkiBoa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 115,638
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHB View Post
Helenius beats Dettweiler, and then he can start making euros by losing fights.

Wait, Helenius or Dettweiler can start making Euros by losing fights?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 115,638
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Well Robert just scored another KO, improving to 9-0 (5). Of course, the guy he stopped had been stopped by about a third of his professional opponents to date, so that's not too telling. Just a stay-busy date.

How'd he look? What should we expect to see in October? Both these guys have a penchant for putting opponents down if not out early.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser1 View Post
No disrespect to Dettweiler but if a guy loses fights to Sprott and Koc there is not a lot that can be said in terms of aspirations on the world stage as those fighters are European level at best. Sprott I would say is at least fringe world class but any capable heavyweight should be able to defeat him.

Lets be fair: both the Sprott and the Coc fight were close.
Dettweiler beat Pala by a highly controversial point decision some years ago.Without a doubt the young Czech's scalp is Dettweiler's call to fame.
Dettweiler is a teak tough and courageous fighter who just lacks the class,speed,and versatilty to compete with the best 25-35 fellow heavies out there.
European level? Hm!
Nah! European or european based heavies are the best fighters in today's big boys' class.
American level! Better term to describe his skills,cruiser!
He plays in Minto's,Kevin Johnson's,and Chazz Witherspoon's dimension.
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 115,638
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Would you give Dettweiler a realistic chance against Johnson, Odo?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #10
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,314
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Lets be fair: both the Sprott and the Coc fight were close.
Dettweiler beat Pala by a highly controversial point decision some years ago.Without a doubt the young Czech's scalp is Dettweiler's call to fame.
Dettweiler is a teak tough and courageous fighter who just lacks the class,speed,and versatilty to compete with the best 25-35 fellow heavies out there.
European level? Hm!
Nah! European or european based heavies are the best fighters in today's big boys' class.
American level! Better term to describe his skills,cruiser!
He plays in Minto's,Kevin Johnson's,and Chazz Witherspoon's dimension.
I should have phrased it differently but you know what I meant by saying European level. I may as well have just said something like "not exactly world level" but even then I'd be a little off cuz I'm sure Dettweiler could give a good account of himself against guys who we'd consider to be world class.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #11
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 1841
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Dett is another in the long line of poor heavies built on hype.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #12
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Would you give Dettweiler a realistic chance against Johnson, Odo?
Well,............................... Lets put it this way: I wouldnt bet any money on the German.
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
Dett is another in the long line of poor heavies built on hype.
He has never been hyped,mazallan.Actually,he is hardly known outside the numberd circles of us hardcore fans.
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:18 PM   #14
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
Posts: 3,762
vCash: 1841
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
He has never been hyped,mazallan.Actually,he is hardly known outside the numberd circles of us hardcore fans.

I am not hardcore, not even a countryman of his either but I know who he is and most of what he has done.


No offense to the guy but I really do not rate him.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 115,638
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Rene Dettweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
I am not hardcore, not even a countryman of his either but I know who he is and most of what he has done.


No offense to the guy but I really do not rate him.
If nobody else seems to, then where does the "hype" come into play? Prior to this one (which is more inquisitive than anything - I certainly can't say I rate him when I know next to nothing about him), are there any threads dedicated entirely to him?
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013