Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #76
Perky300
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1079
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

about 6weeks before i fight i start taking vitamins, either ''multi vitamins' or vitamin c any point in this? i'm so scared about getting a cold or some other bug which will **** my training or fight up

on a side note i eat good, try and get my 5 a day 2/3litres of water a day etc
Perky300 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #77
mancuniankid
''Train Hard Fight Easy''

vCash: 1000

Yeah multi vitamins are great, i stopped taking them and started getting loads of shitty little bugs. I eat healthy but just not enough fruit and veg(do now through RDJ smoothies idea!!) remember your body cant store vit c so it always good to keep topping up..

I recently started taking something called Echinacea which i have heard raving reviews about from people i know that take it,

Of the site i got it from...
Quote:
Build up your defences against colds, flu and infections with this amazing supplement. Echinacea is well known for its powerful effect on the immune system, stimulating a group of cells that destroy bacteria and viral infections and speeding the healing of words.
Only just started taking it myself so can't comment yet but like i said heard good things...
mancuniankid is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #78
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

There are dozens of plants with the same effects, just drink more herbal teas. If you're after anti-viral/bacterial properties, eat raw garlic. I take one garlic clove each day as a supplement (I do the same with ginger and cloves). It may sound gross but I just chew it and wash it down with water.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #79
cool-cat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 625

would it be better to try and stay about 3-4kg over your fighting weight (weigh in weight) or would it be better to stay on the weight all your round?

thanks
cool-cat is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #80
ToxicAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool-cat View Post
just learnt this today thought it might be helpful for people taking protein shakes.

if you take over 30g of whey protein at one time not all of it is used and some is passed through the body.
yes this is true where your body can only absorb so much protein at one time. the scientific journal i read said it was somewhere between 25-30 grams so you don't want to go over that with each meal. not only is it a waste of the powder, too much protein is actually bad for you and excess is stored as body fat. i could go into the biological process of how it happens but i wont lol. you are also better off getting protein from whole food sources like eggs or tuna fish...the protein powders have a lot of fillers and additives that you could really go w/o. same goes with vitamins which is why you should try to eat as healthy as possible.

here is a little trick for those who train. when you go to sleep your body goes into a catabolic state where your body breaks tissue down...basically your body starves itself while you sleep. if you are looking to be fit and strong you don't want this, you want your muscles to be continually nourished w/ protein throughout the night. there is a kind of protein powder that can do this for you and it is casein protein. it digests slowly unlike whey which is more of a post workout protein b/c it absorbs quickly. casein protein powder will help make sure your muscles are continually fed throughout the night. alternatively you could just eat cottage cheese before bed b/c it contains a lot of casein but i understand some may think it's nasty and grosse.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
There are dozens of plants with the same effects, just drink more herbal teas. If you're after anti-viral/bacterial properties, eat raw garlic. I take one garlic clove each day as a supplement (I do the same with ginger and cloves). It may sound gross but I just chew it and wash it down with water.
garlic is very good when it comes to warding off colds *and dracula*. if you happen to catch a cold or flu and want to recover quickly you can use colloidal silver. you can get it cheap through vitacost.com. i have taken it many times at the first signs of being sick and recovered within the next day, it's very effective against pathogens and other minor health concerns.

Last edited by ToxicAngel; 09-10-2009 at 10:02 PM.
ToxicAngel is offline  Top
Old 09-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #81
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

I usually have a shake before I go to sleep.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #82
ToxicAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazallan View Post
I usually have a shake before I go to sleep.
ToxicAngel is offline  Top
Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #83
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

A useful post on cheat days, by El Puma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
Good question.

For me, it is akin to taking it easy or taking a day off from training. The following goes into much better detail as to why everyone should incorporate a cheat day.

So many people hit plateaus. The fat will not go anywhere, and your measurements and scale weight at the same. My longest plateau was 7 weeks long. Depressing yes, but in my quest for the truth about fat loss, I discovered something..... Cheating once or twice a week, actually helped with moving beyond that plateau.

A fluke? Wishful thinking? Nope... it is actually based in medical science. It has to do with Neuroendocrinology. Seriously!

We talk about insulin, we talk about testosterone, we talk about estrogen, but have we every talked about LEPTIN?

Leptin? What the, who the huh?

Yup Leptin, a hormone. There not just for *** anymore.

Named after leptos, the Greek term for "thin," leptin is a hormone released by your fat cells. Although it has a number of functions, one of leptin's main roles is to let your brain know how fat you are. It actually controls your metabolism. Yes I am serious. Leptin is produced by fat tissue and is secreted into the bloodstream where it travels to the brain and other tissues. Leptin causes fat loss and decreased appetite. It also plays a very important role in calorie intake and calorie burning. Hmmm, that sounds pretty important to all this hubbub we are all going through doesn't it?

The bottomline is that by mastering Leptin hormone in your body you will be mastering your body weight. Why?

Leptin causes you to burn stored fat; most fad diets, or unrealistic dieting robs the body of both fat and muscle. When you diet, your body compensates for reduced calorie and fat intake by lowering your energy and metabolism. Leptin can actually enhance your energy and metabolism. What does this mean, well what it means is best diet and exercise plan in the world will not work unless the Leptin levels are correct. Something Nutrisystem does not share with it's customers I assure you.

Leptin levels are related to a number of things, including insulin, your caloric intake, and your current level of bodyfat. Think of it as one of the big ?fat-loss decision makers.? Generally speaking, the leaner you are, the lower your baseline levels of leptin are. Under normal conditions, though, leptin is plentiful. However, while your calorie intake is at sub-maintenance levels, and particularly if you're on a low-carb diet, which lowers your levels of circulating insulin, leptin levels drop.

Decreased leptin levels cause a number of other regulatory changes ? namely, decreased thyroid output and metabolic rate and increased catabolic hormone activity and appetite. In an attempt to become more efficient, your body will try to slow down to make that lowered caloric intake its new maintenance intake. That is, it'll try to do the same amount of work with less energy. And unfortunately, this usually means having to continuously lower calories to maintain your progress, which inevitably makes it very hard to hold on to all your hard-earned muscle. None of this sounds too good to me. However, periodic days of high calorie and carbohydrate intake may help with this.

Remember our bodies want to adapt. That is a good thing and a not-so-good thing when trying to lose body fat. So how do we increase levels of leptin enough to kick start the fat loss again. (exercise is still required here people)

Researchers have identified a system that 'senses' nutrient flux (flux = what's going in versus what's going out) through both fat and muscle cells. This affects a lot of process. When dieting, more calories are leaving the fat cell than are going in (negative flux). This nutrient sensing system 'senses' this and affects many processes, one of which is leptin production (decreasing leptin production). So leptin drops. When overfeeding, more calories are entering the fat cells than are leaving (positive flux). The system 'senses' this and affects many processes, one of which is leptin production (increasing leptin production). So leptin increases. Hence the need for cyclical dieting: when dieting, leptin drops and your body fights back.

What is cyclical dieting... well to make a long story short. A cheat day. Now I do not mean go nuts with the KFC, I mean, eat more carbs, protein and fat, don't worry. Meaning try 4 days of dieting per week. Meaning consume 500 -800 Calories less than your Maintainance Level, and then have 2 days at the maintainance level, and one day with maybe an extra 500 calories above your maintainance level. Keep working out, drink plenty of water... try this for a couple of weeks, and see if this works, remember change it up each day. mix it up.

Your plateau will start to vanish. It did for me.

Eat people.... it is what gives us the energy to live.
Ps. Where are you Carlos? Life treating you well?
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2009, 02:34 AM   #84
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Liquid diets have been found best for hummingbird metabolism but our human bodies are designed for both soups and roughage. Thus, with my mutitgrain, multivegetable, multifruit, multidairy shake, I also try to get plenty of solid roughage to clean the ol colon. I believe the Lord also designed us to eat more game or free range foods as well and not the out-of-shape, caged-up, hormone-fed chickens and/or fish from hatcheries.
maracho is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #85
Mazallan
ESB yes man
ESB Addict

Location: Tempted by the fruit of another...tempted that the truth is discovered..
vCash: 1841

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracho View Post
Liquid diets have been found best for hummingbird metabolism but our human bodies are designed for both soups and roughage. Thus, with my mutitgrain, multivegetable, multifruit, multidairy shake, I also try to get plenty of solid roughage to clean the ol colon. I believe the Lord also designed us to eat more game or free range foods as well and not the out-of-shape, caged-up, hormone-fed chickens and/or fish from hatcheries.

Sorry but that sounds awful. All that in one shake?

I always end up eating the foods before I put them into my smoothie/shake maker. I love blueberries and all that jazz but getting the little bits in the back of my mouth while I am drinking makes me feel sick.
Mazallan is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #86
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Many people really do find the idea discussing and if you have the time and like eating lots of fruit and vegetables the old fashioned way then I would say its more power to you. I myself have always been considered as the human garbage disposal system.

We use a blender to make big pitchers of it every day and I find that mixing it with orange juice makes it more tasty compared to mixing it with milk. A blender is also much better than a processor since it retains all the pulp and and you can adjust its chunkiness or thickness.
maracho is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #87
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd rather eat my multigrains in bread, multifruits in a smoothie, and multiveggies in a soup.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #88
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

IMO when it comes to grains and vegies, more and more often is better. Bread can be great roughage if you know how to pick the right kind thats ow in salts, processed sugars and preservatives but it still dont compare to wild rice, brown rice, wheat germ, whole oats, barley, corn meal or grits, sorghum MO. Dairy products like yogurt and whey isolate are great to. Beats, kale, carrots, sweat potatoes, squash, watermelon broccolli, etc.. or whatever we got left over.

We eat a lot of chicken and fish soup but like our shakes we load them with vegies, lentils or rice because there really is no reason to limit them when they taste great and when one understand exactly why cell metabolism thrives on variety.

When I am competing hard, I also throw in glucosamine, Maltodextrin, Dextrose, HMB l-Glutamine, and Electrolytes.
maracho is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #89
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree with everything you said but I can't gulp veggies and fruits down in the same shake. I eat all the things you mentioned in large amounts, only separately
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #90
AVFCMagicMan

vCash:

For experts on nutrition, is it generally accepted that people can have varying metabolisms? I used to weight train alot and would train for 1 hour 3 times a week, I would eat 6 meals a day and also snack with the occassional chocolate bar/takeaway. Some of the meals were not 'ideal' but decent enough and I never got over 12st, i've roughly stayed around 11 st 6lbs & now down at 11st4. So basically, do you think it seems like i'm someone who can eat lots but roughly stay the same weight as long as I work out enough? (which I do)

Cheers!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing