Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Ricardo Lopez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
i do rate him pretty highly, at times he's been in my all time top 10. i just love watching the man at work

you raise a good point and for me the only possible smear on his record is his resume. he stuck with his weight class and not only defeated but DOMINATED every possible opponent until alvarez (which is was certainly past prime). i don't think it's much of a criticism though: he stuck in his weight class and put in spectacular service there where, unfortunately, there wasn't any real competition for him. i think cabajal and gonzalez were amazing and chiquito had the power to trouble him but lopez, talent wise, would likely have beaten both. those were two fights though that i agree, would have been amazing to see and i wish we had gotten them.
I think Carbajal would have a good chance to beating him but i would favour Lopez

I think Humberto dosent have the chin to hold out and would succumb at some point to a right hand
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #17
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Nah, it's hard picturing even proven fighters from other era's against Lopez due to his obvious ability.

Some (myself included if I remember correctly) picked him to beat Canto at fly, a weight where he never fought at in real life. A recent thread pitted him against Chang; many picked Chang because we can see what would trouble him.

as I say he should've fought Gonzalez and Carbajal; I'm one of few to give Carbajal a good chance at beating him, his immense heart and power would bother Lopez IMO. but Say Chiquita of the 2nd/3rd Carbajal fights (his best performances would everyone agree? maybe not???); I think Lopez would beat him to the punch and stop him in the mid-rounds.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I think Carbajal would have a good chance to beating him but i would favour Lopez

I think Humberto dosent have the chin to hold out and would succumb at some point to a right hand
Beat me to it and again, wrapped it up in simpler terms, my thoughts exactly
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post

right with ya. both would be fight on the year candidates in my opinion but lopez was just too well rounded
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #20
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
right with ya. both would be fight on the year candidates in my opinion but lopez was just too well rounded
Possibly i can see Gonzalez getting a beating though bt he did have alotta heart and would make it interesting like the first Carbjal fight

the Carbajal fight would be amazing
Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #21
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

You know that I felt Carbajal's pinpoint power punching would see him through. His sometimes 'wooden' approach and lack of foot movement could see him outboxed. But he could be very fluent and his body and head punching is right up there at Light-Fly IMO.

He vs Chang would be the ultimate war of the Light-Flys; one I see Chang, with his more consistent and quality work winning via UD. Carbajal would throw back serious leather though, his durability would lways see him in the fight IMO.

If not for Pea and other like-minded posters it would've been even longer before I'd probably discovered Chang
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
You know that I felt Carbajal's pinpoint power punching would see him through. His sometimes 'wooden' approach and lack of foot movement could see him outboxed. But he could be very fluent and his body and head punching is right up there at Light-Fly IMO.

He vs Chang would be the ultimate war of the Light-Flys; one I see Chang, with his more consistent and quality work winning via UD. Carbajal would throw back serious leather though, his durability would lways see him in the fight IMO.

If not for Pea and other like-minded posters it would've been even longer before I'd probably discovered Chang
looks like i've got some fights to watch, i'm totally unfamiliar with chang
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
looks like i've got some fights to watch, i'm totally unfamiliar with chang
What you'll find with me is on some things I know a fair amount, on other things I'm more than happy to find out more if prodded in the right direction.

Don't quite have say, Manssa's ability to seek out and categorise information.

But it's always exciting to see someone you haven't seen before and be amazed.

Here's a taster. Chang, only 18 (a year before he first wins the light-fly title) against Alfonso Lopez. I don't know much about Lopez (maybe someone could fill me in as I'm against flicking onto boxrec and pretending I know ) but this is impressive stuff. IMO he went on to become a better fighter, more subtle movements (feet and head), but still the all-out whirlwind he is here. However he still demonstrates just that; to think by the age of 20 he had fought Zapata twice

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Here's a bit of later Chang. Here he shows incredible resiliance, and most of all the more patient approach at destructing his opponents. Less all-out whirlwind but every punch is devastating.

Like me I hope you go and seek out more Chang. I'm currently trying to get more than is on youtube

Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #25
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Here's a bit of later Chang. Here he shows incredible resiliance, and most of all the more patient approach at destructing his opponents. Less all-out whirlwind but every punch is devastating.

Like me I hope you go and seek out more Chang. I'm currently trying to get more than is on youtube

appreciate the help and the leads flea i'll definitely take a closer look
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2009, 02:31 AM   #26
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Good to hear, Chang is a monster.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Changs brillaint that fight with Lopez is good.

The first Zapate fight i thought he won but i havent seen the rematch tahts looks an impressive win on paper.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #28
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If you want to see a textbook perfect fighter, I would advise you to watch ''El Finito'' Ricardo Lopez.

Lopez had it all and could do it all. Jolting sharp jab, superb body attack, huge left hook, and right cross, sublime defensive skills, beautilful footwork, pinpoint accuracy, incredible stamina and timing.

He also had a sound chin and could take a shot.(Only dropped the once) Freddie Pacheo called him a ''Master Of Ring Generalship''

Lopez won the WBC 105 Title in 1990 and defended it a incredible 21 times, 16 via KO. His only ever blemish was the seven round draw against WBA champion Rosendo Alvarez(Acidental Cut), whom he outboxed in the return.

Won the IBF Junior Flyweight Title pretty late on in career and defended it twice.

Fought in 26 titles fights and reitred with a 51-0-1.

The last I heard is he know train's his son who is a fighter.
cotto20 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum