Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Could Floyd Mayweather beat a prime Meldrick Taylor?

While Floyd is undeniably greater and more proven, I think Taylor's specific combination of handspeed, workrate and determination makes this virtually unwinnable for Floyd.

Worst stylistic matchup for Floyd this side of Thomas Hearns?
Shake is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Mayweather beat a prime Meldrick Taylor?

The one area where Taylor is significantly lacking in comparison is the one that I think turns this fight in favor of Floyd. Intelligence.

I simply think Floyd is too adaptable to lose to a fighter as flawed as Taylor, regardless of his physical qualities. Mayweather is not so very far behind him physically that his technical and strategical edges would be nullified. I rather see it the other way around. Over 12 rounds I'd probably favor Floyd in a very close, but deserved decision.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I do think Mayweather is a much better ring general as a well as a -- well, as you said, just a smarter fighter. I can't visualise it, though -- Judah was able to land on Mayweather due to handspeed, I thought, and with Taylors workrate to augment it I just see rounds in the bank.

Now that I think about it, Mayweather might be able to win an ugly one by jabbing, clinching and fighting clever inside. I could see him frustrating Taylor like this -- seems like an a-typical approach for him, but who knows, he showed against Hatton he can in-fight.

How do you see the fight playing out, Pea?
Shake is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3424

No, it's no secret Mayweather can't deal with more than 2 or 3 punches at a time, coupled with Taylors handspeed Mayweather would drop a decision
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Taylor would pose a problem because of how many punches he throws and the speed of his hands, combination's but i dont know if he would beat Mayweather.

Whitaker, Forrest, Winky, Hearns would be my picks to beat Mayweather.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I think Floyd would work out a way to reduce the punch volume of Taylor - similar in a way to how he neutralised Ricky Hatton but not as obvious.... nor as easily.

This is one area where he is grossly underestimated, in his ability to figure the opponent out and adapt his gameplan to suit.

A lot of fans don't appreciate the chess match type situation, but I certainly do... provided the chess match doesn't last the distance!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Ironically this is a much harder match up for Floyd than Chavez stylistically, Meldrick's speed/workrate/skills spells problems, Floyd has a big advantage in defense, generalship and countering ability. Floyd has fought many high workrate types but no one as fast and skilled as Meldrick, although Maldrick's speed gets a little overrated on here

I think this is a hard fight to pick because of the above reasons, 1 prediction I would make is taylor is likely ahead at the half way point with Floyd picking up the pace more around the mid-late rounds
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
The one area where Taylor is significantly lacking in comparison is the one that I think turns this fight in favor of Floyd. Intelligence.

I simply think Floyd is too adaptable to lose to a fighter as flawed as Taylor, regardless of his physical qualities. Mayweather is not so very far behind him physically that his technical and strategical edges would be nullified. I rather see it the other way around. Over 12 rounds I'd probably favor Floyd in a very close, but deserved decision.
Not a chance, at 140 (Pre-Chavez + Chavez fight) Taylor is Money's very worst nightmare, Money would'nt have time 2 ****in breath, he has'nt no where near the power/speed too hold off Meldrick, talk about under siege at warp speed.

TAYLOR MADE CHAVEZ LOOK LIKE A ****IN TORTOISE, he was useing Julio's melon head as a speed ball never seen ****-all like him in my life & too watch him live WOW, Floyd does not have any answers for this feller except RUN & RUN some more THEN/TODAY OR IN YOUR DREAMS
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes.
With ease.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Agreed.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 09-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Taylor would win any round that Mayweather would try to coast in, and with the pace Taylor would set you can bet there would be a few.

Taylor may have a speed advantage; but I believe Mayweather can keep the fight at the end of his jab, use his footwork, and counter effectively.

I think Taylor may manage to win 4 or 5 rounds, but I can't see him winning. Mayweather by decision.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #12
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Not a chance, at 140 (Pre-Chavez + Chavez fight) Taylor is Money's very worst nightmare, Money would'nt have time 2 ****in breath, he has'nt no where near the power/speed too hold off Meldrick, talk about under siege at warp speed.

TAYLOR MADE CHAVEZ LOOK LIKE A ****IN TORTOISE, he was useing Julio's melon head as a speed ball never seen ****-all like him in my life & too watch him live WOW, Floyd does not have any answers for this feller except RUN & RUN some more THEN/TODAY OR IN YOUR DREAMS
Go **** yourself. I gave my goddamn opinion and you're going to jump down my throat like everyone else who slightly disagrees with anything you write. In my dreams? I ****ing hate Mayweather, why the **** would I want him to win this bout? I call it as I see it. From an analytical standpoint, Floyd holds the edges in this matchup because Taylor's advantage in handspeed (which is his only advantage here by the way) is not going to nullify all of Mayweather's advantages in strategy, ring generalship, and adaptability. The fact that Taylor made Chavez look slow is completely irrelevant to how a fight with Mayweather would go down, considering they are polar opposites stylistically and Mayweather was far faster than Chavez himself. If you want to address something I write, fine. Show some ****ing manners next time.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Duranimal does fly off the handle all the time
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #14
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Go **** yourself. I gave my goddamn opinion and you're going to jump down my throat like everyone else who slightly disagrees with anything you write. In my dreams? I ****ing hate Mayweather, why the **** would I want him to win this bout? I call it as I see it. From an analytical standpoint, Floyd holds the edges in this matchup because Taylor's advantage in handspeed (which is his only advantage here by the way) is not going to nullify all of Mayweather's advantages in strategy, ring generalship, and adaptability. The fact that Taylor made Chavez look slow is completely irrelevant to how a fight with Mayweather would go down, considering they are polar opposites stylistically and Mayweather was far faster than Chavez himself. If you want to address something I write, fine. Show some ****ing manners next time.
**** Off, you rude ignorant little fart, i just gave an honest opinion that differ's from your's, so GROW UP & stop acting like some 1st time menstrating schoolgirl just because someone has the neck 2 question/disagree with you.

You're a hypercrite of byzantine proportions & a classic cyber warrior who collapses under stress when any of his analysis is brought into question, you're totally inflexible when it comes too understanding the opinions of others which is no doubt down too your inexpierence of real life.

I'am not remotely interested in what you think of mayweather i.e hating him ect, your'e meant too be able to give an opinion based on what you percieve to be the strenghs/weaknesses of each combatent & not on personalities & you FAIL

So climb down of your self appointed throne your majesty & try to see the world as others do & that way you may recieve all the back slapping praise you so desperatly seek
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #15
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Duranimal does fly off the handle all the time
fleaman: honestly mate i thought i was being quite polite to the little cunt

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum