Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #16
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

LOL Bowe wins he decision but glass chin Lewis knocked him out? Jesus Christ, Why do you think Schmeling could even make it out of the first round with Bowe.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer View Post
Tell me more.
Schmeling is basicaly mpure poison for any technicaly orthodox fighter who leads with the jab.

His entire style is based around countering the jab with overhand rights, left hooks and uppercuts.

If a fighter deviates significantly from this style then he still has some interesting tricks but his plan does not quite come together. It would be verry interesting to see him against a southpaw for example.

Now I fancy that Bowes style might be suficiently unorthodox to throw him off his game but it is hard to be sure quite how this fight would unfold.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 8,847
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Schmeling is basicaly mpure poison for any technicaly orthodox fighter who leads with the jab.

His entire style is based around countering the jab with overhand rights, left hooks and uppercuts.

If a fighter deviates significantly from this style then he still has some interesting tricks but his plan does not quite come together. It would be verry interesting to see him against a southpaw for example.

Now I fancy that Bowes style might be suficiently unorthodox to throw him off his game but it is hard to be sure quite how this fight would unfold.

I agree and Bowe did get hit an awfull lot....Scmheling was a shartshooter, style wise he has a good shot to beat Bowe
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,132
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

You could bring in the best version of Schmeling and the result would be the same. Bowe kicks his ass every time and hands him his head by the fifth. At best, this goes no more than 7 rounds, with the ref pulling off a relentless bowe off a helpless Schmeling
redrooster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
You could bring in the best version of Schmeling and the result would be the same.
Not really.

If this was the Bowe of the first Golotta fight then Schmeling would probably take him apart verry convincingly.

Schmeling was far more consistant than Bowe and all ways turned up in superb condition.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #21
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,632
vCash: 238
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

I don't doubt that Schmeling would win many exchanges and show great technical skill..... but my problem is that i don't think he can stop his opponent here. Holyfield tried three times (twice against an out-of-shape version) and failed. He took a shitload of punishment against Golota, who is not a power puncher perhaps, but definitely heavy handed (and a 6'4 240lbs man), like Schmeling in that sense, but smaller.


Bowe will start connecting from rounds 3 and on, just like he did on the technically superior Holyfield, and even if he lands 1 for 2 of Schmeling's, i think he'll still wear Schmeling down to a stoppage... Max has several early round knockout losses and i don't think he was all THAT durable, even though he did survive Louis' blows in their first bout.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #22
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
I don't doubt that Schmeling would win many exchanges and show great technical skill..... but my problem is that i don't think he can stop his opponent here. Holyfield tried three times (twice against an out-of-shape version) and failed. He took a shitload of punishment against Golota, who is not a power puncher perhaps, but definitely heavy handed (and a 6'4 240lbs man), like Schmeling in that sense, but smaller.


Bowe will start connecting from rounds 3 and on, just like he did on the technically superior Holyfield, and even if he lands 1 for 2 of Schmeling's, i think he'll still wear Schmeling down to a stoppage... Max has several early round knockout losses and i don't think he was all THAT durable, even though he did survive Louis' blows in their first bout.
For my money Schmeling hit harder than Holyfield and had better delivery than Golotta. He came prety close to being the first person to stop Paulino Uzcdun with his right hand out of action.

As for Schmeling's durability it should be noted that he was only stopped by Baer and Louis anywhere close to his peak.

I don't know how this would turn out but it would be exciting. Perhaps a bit like Bowe Holyfield III without making any prediction about the outcome.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #23
sauhund II
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 516
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

Man, this classic section can't be beat for pure comical entertainment.

Schmelling had never ever faced a skilled big mobile with a granite chin unbelievable ego aka you have to kill him before he quits hard hitting fighter like Bowe trained by Futch who has only ONE controversial loss on his record.

Schmelling is tailermade for Bowe..........standing in front trying to land straight on, lol , if you have seen a uncompetitive massacre, well, this is one.

BTW, I have met Schmelling in the early nineties.
sauhund II is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #24
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 1887
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Max Schmeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius View Post
I don't doubt that Schmeling would win many exchanges and show great technical skill..... but my problem is that i don't think he can stop his opponent here. Holyfield tried three times (twice against an out-of-shape version) and failed. He took a shitload of punishment against Golota, who is not a power puncher perhaps, but definitely heavy handed (and a 6'4 240lbs man), like Schmeling in that sense, but smaller.


Bowe will start connecting from rounds 3 and on, just like he did on the technically superior Holyfield, and even if he lands 1 for 2 of Schmeling's, i think he'll still wear Schmeling down to a stoppage... Max has several early round knockout losses and i don't think he was all THAT durable, even though he did survive Louis' blows in their first bout.
This is a good post. Schmeling definitely will land, but Bowe was a durable guy who could absorb a lot of punishment. To be honest, I think he'd be a bit too big for Schmeling...there is a considerable size difference and Bowe when in shape (which wasn't often) carried 230+ pounds well.
Offensively, Bowe was very good. Good selection of punches, decent mobility, and a good infighter, or from range. Powerful too.
Max is up against it in this one I feel, although he could spring a big surprise. Hey, Tony Tubbs nearly did.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013