Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #76
flamengo
Coool as a Cucumber.
East Side Guru

Location: Have removed the 20a87 troll virus 'coz it sux cocks.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most physically powerful boxer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I just wish my enthusiasm, interest and curiousity measured up to yours. I'm no kind of expert, just someone reminiscing about a past he wasn't old enough to experience.

Check in with me in another 30 years, and I'll probably be commenting ignorantly on the current era I'm completely disinterested in at present. There are far more scholarly, knowledgable and engaged posters than myself here, but I'm having fun expressing what little I've deluded myself into believing I know. (Meanwhile, I've been contaminating the internet with my rambling drivel, and have discovered to my horror than I'm looking up my own posts for information. Scary realization! This is what happens when one has a ninth degree in BS.)

Priceless. Love it.
flamengo is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #77
Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
No we wasn't. Nobody gets stronger in their 40's. He was a fatass who could push lighter guys like a sumo (and was still immensly strong of course), but in no way was he (or anyone, ever) stronger than he was in his prime.

Strangely enough I'm a fan of sumo.

Static strength, mass, power, technique.......every wrestler has a greater or lesser blend of those components.

Some have a explosive style-others more bulldozing power.
Arka is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #78
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieHornschuh View Post
I heard that Rahman benches over 500, no way George Foreman or James Jeffries could do that. Tua also comes to mind.
Foreman could lift a cow.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #79
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Holyfield said Foreman was the stronest fighter he ever faced, Ali said the same thing about Foreman. Tyson was never considered strong and I just mentioned Ali saying Foreman was the strongest fighter he faced so that means he was a stronger fighter than Liston.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #80
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Marius Pudzianowski has boxed though I am not certain at what level.

There was a bareknuckle fighter in the late 1800s called Bill Richards who is best known for managing Jem Mace. He was purported to be able to shoulder press a weight that was not matched in the olympics untill the 70s. When Jem Mace took on some of the criminal gangs who targeted the fancy at boxing matches he used Richards as an enforcer.

Last edited by janitor; 09-20-2009 at 04:41 PM.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #81
Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Marius Pudzianowski has boxed though I am not certain at what level.

There was a bareknuckle fighter in the late 1800s called Bill Richards who is best known for managing Jem Mace. He was purported to be able to shoulder press a weight that was not matched in the olympics untill the 70s. When Jem Mace took on some of the criminal gangs who targeted the fancy at boxing matches he used Richards ans an enforcer.
Okay....how much?
Arka is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #82
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arka View Post
Okay....how much?
I will have to look it up.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #83
djanders
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Paul Anderson

Quote:
Clean and press: 185.5 kg in 1955-10-16, on Munchen
Snatch: 145.0 kg
Clean and jerk: 196.5 kg in 1955-04-26, on Cleveland
Total: 512.5 (clean and press + snatch + clean and jerk), in 1955-10-16, on Munchen

Standard clean and press: 402.5 lb (182.6 kg)
One arm overhead press: 300 lb (140 kg)
Parallel squat: 1,202 lb (545 kg), two reps
Backlift: 6270 lbs (2844 kg), (weight raised slightly off tressles)
Bench Press (Raw): 627 lb (284 kg)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
djanders is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 01:07 AM   #84
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
No we wasn't. Nobody gets stronger in their 40's. He was a fatass who could push lighter guys like a sumo (and was still immensly strong of course), but in no way was he (or anyone, ever) stronger than he was in his prime.
I have to disagree. I think it's quite possible that Foreman in his 40's had more overall strength (not punching power) than he did in his youth. Foreman was much heavier; all that extra weight (even fat weight) gives a person added pushing/shoving power. Plus, did you ever see George tie himself up to a truck/jeep and pull it down the road at his ranch? What if George never did that type of training when he was young but did it during his comeback? That would make a big difference.
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #85
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

I don't know who my choice would be...probably not a heavyweight though, if we're going for pound-for-pound strength.
Dick Tiger would seem like a great choice, so maybe him.

On a side note, as far as the big guys go, I think Big George has a great shot of being number one, even with giants like Valuev or Carnera around. A frightening beast of a man in many respects was George.
Paul Anderson or Mariusz Pudianowski were (are) obviously stronger, but they dabbled in boxing and didn't make it a career.

Another choice may seem a bit surprising, but for me Bonecrusher Smith would be in with a shout...not for the top spot, but there or thereabouts.
He always struck me as just a big, really solid guy. I have no evidence to support the pick; I'm just going on little obeservations here and there.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 AM   #86
Polymath
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
If they start lifting weights and haven't done it before they do.

(And he was in his late 30's when he started his comeback, not 40's.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ74 View Post
I have to disagree. I think it's quite possible that Foreman in his 40's had more overall strength (not punching power) than he did in his youth. Foreman was much heavier; all that extra weight (even fat weight) gives a person added pushing/shoving power. Plus, did you ever see George tie himself up to a truck/jeep and pull it down the road at his ranch? What if George never did that type of training when he was young but did it during his comeback? That would make a big difference.
You guys are right. The old Foreman was lifting a lot of weights and the young one was probably just doing basic boxing training. Good point.
Polymath is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #87
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I heard the only training a young Foreman did was chop trees in the morning, punched the punching bag and then sparred. Not really much training. The young Foreman was a harder punch and the older Foreman was the stronger of the 2.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #88
Arka

I've seen the footage of Foreman towing a jeep(?) up a hill before the Holyfield fight.

He incorporated steep hill running as part of his training schedule in the 70s.So he always had a very strong lower body.

He was apparently a talented American football player in high school.So maybe the pushing and manhandling of his opponent came easily to him....
Arka is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum