Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
dabox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default assualt in the ring...documentry,what are your thoughs on panama lewis and resto

hey guys just watched this great film, i was wondering what your thoughs are on the whole story after seeing it,

what are your thoughs on luis resto, should be forgiven after all this,
on panama lewis
on what might have been billy collins future if this did not happen

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dabox is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: assualt in the ring...documentry,what are your thoughs on panama lewis and resto

I think that this was one of the worst documentaries i have ever seen. The producer goes and bothers the Collins family asking for an interview... opening wounds from the past. Pretty tactless in my opinion. It was just a lousy documentary (and i usually love documentaries, especially boxing ones)
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Default Re: assualt in the ring...documentry,what are your thoughs on panama lewis and resto

i liked it, it was pretty informative but making collins dad the bad guy almost made me want to stop watching it.

but the things i did find fascinating is just the stonewall of resto. a very classic case fighters have. they maybe charismatic, funny, dim witted, foolish etc but if you keep your mouth locked shut no one will know. talk is cheap so i aint saying nuttin
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I really liked it. It was a clear picture of the scum, scammers, derlicts, and cons that are in boxing. It also shows a tragic picture of what happens when someone invests a lifetime in a sport and things dont work out.
This is why fighters are only motivated by money now.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
dabox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yeah it does show a dark side that is for sure,

i think because of stuff like that you have boxers now that care so much about money because there are always scumbags that were/are ready to advantage of their passion/love of boxing
dabox is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lewis and Resto are scumbags........and Resto acting for all these years that he never knew just goes to show you what an ass he is......Lewis is the epitome of low life
Ted Stickles is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Stickles View Post
Lewis and Resto are scumbags........and Resto acting for all these years that he never knew just goes to show you what an ass he is......Lewis is the epitome of low life
Yes but Resto is clearly the derlict in this story. Too stupid and weak minded to do anything but go in there and fight. He didnt question anything. If his trainer told him to paint his house before he came to the gym Resto would have done it.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

They are vile human beings.

If a fighter signs a contract to engage in a boxing match then he is consenting to be hit with gloves of a given weight and consistency not an iron bolt.

Modifying gloves without the knowledge of the other fighter to make them more dangerous is no better than assulting a man in the street.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
rm36
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 166

Lewis is really scum.
rm36 is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Seemed like the producer, Eric Drath, started out with good intentions, but then got caught up in the hype and tried too hard for the homerun (confronting the family with the 'truth').

Found it extremely interesting, but at the same time very disturbing, even going into the doco knowing the original story.

Resto was obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed, and still isn't. He did, and does, know the difference between right and wrong though.

My gut feeling is that Resto has done both the crime and the time, and ought to be able to get on with the rest of his sadly pathetic life.

Lewis, now there's a nasty piece of work! The fact that he's still allowed to train boxers is just plain disturbing, not unlike a former pedofile assisting at a kindergarten. At least he's banned from corner work - a small mercy!
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochabuzz View Post
I think that this was one of the worst documentaries i have ever seen. The producer goes and bothers the Collins family asking for an interview... opening wounds from the past. Pretty tactless in my opinion. It was just a lousy documentary (and i usually love documentaries, especially boxing ones)
I agree with this. I also found it distasteful that Resto was somewhat portrayed as a sympathetic figure.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
I agree with this. I also found it distasteful that Resto was somewhat portrayed as a sympathetic figure.
Perhaps equal parts pathetic and sympathetic Nat - I actually felt sorry for him for his whole, stuffed up life - but he certainly knew at the time of the Collins bout that they were doing very, very wrong!

Sadly for Resto it seems he does have a concience, however small - plainly Lewis wasn't born with one.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Perhaps equal parts pathetic and sympathetic Nat - I actually felt sorry for him for his whole, stuffed up life - but he certainly knew at the time of the Collins bout that they were doing very, very wrong!

Sadly for Resto it seems he does have a concience, however small - plainly Lewis wasn't born with one.
I agree, I felt sorry for him too. Should we? I guess so, I just felt a little weird about it. The one problem I had with it was that I'd heard that both Resto and Lewis profited (however small) from the documentary. I guess Lewis requested money every time he was asked to speak. That's what I found most distasteful. And of course the "hard core" journalistic attempts at getting Billy Collins Sr. on film. Those things made it kind of sleazy.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 09-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #14
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
...And of course the "hard core" journalistic attempts at getting Billy Collins Sr. on film. Those things made it kind of sleazy.
Yeah, the initial attempts at contacting Collins Snr were a bit edgey. But towards the end, when the producer sent Resto to the door of the Collins' house, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #15
dabox
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yeah the movie tries to get people to feel sorry for resto,

and in a way you gotta feel sorry for him, that night did mess up his life

but on the other hand he lied all these years, even to the film maker for like half the movie...
dabox is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum