Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 1000
Default Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

If the Griffith that "KO'd" (tragically) Paret was up against Duran of Palomino and Leonard...
laxpdx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,529
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Duran by decision ...
he grant is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Griffith would win. Was there ever a stronger ww than Griffith?
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #4
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Rodriguez? Seemed to handle Emile in this regard pretty well.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Rod was a beast, but then you have Griffith matching Tiger in the right spots.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 783
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Griffith by decision
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #7
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Rod was a beast, but then you have Griffith matching Tiger in the right spots.
You bring that up a lot. I think he more or less just matched up with Tiger very well. I don't think he proved his strength at WW the way you seem to think at all. He was more of a pure out-boxer with very good inside skills than a physically imposing fighter. Very strong, no doubt, but hardly in the discussion of fighters I'd consider among the strongest. Again, when did he prove that kind of strength outside of the Tiger bout, when he more or less stuck to his old stick and move strategy interspersed with moments of clinching and in-fighting? And when did he prove it at WW? I think for sure a guy like Carmen Basilio was stronger.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
You bring that up a lot. I think he more or less just matched up with Tiger very well. I don't think he proved his strength at WW the way you seem to think at all. He was more of a pure out-boxer with very good inside skills than a physically imposing fighter. Very strong, no doubt, but hardly in the discussion of fighters I'd consider among the strongest. Again, when did he prove that kind of strength outside of the Tiger bout, when he more or less stuck to his old stick and move strategy interspersed with moments of clinching and in-fighting? And when did he prove it at WW? I think for sure a guy like Carmen Basilio was stronger.

Maybe the Paret fights?

Benny seemed like a pretty strong, no bullshit kind of fighter.

Though I have only watched their second fight two or three times...dont like watching the ones with the sad endings.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Basilio is a good shout. But then, Duran was very, very strong at this weight too, despite coming up. The Palomino fight is a good example. I'd have to say Basilio would shade it, but who would win a Welterweight fight between the two?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Well, it depends on how important you think a single perfromance is.

Griffith wasn't a fighter who rellied upon strength. When he matched strength with Dick Tiger, he did just fine. Tiger is regarded as one of the strongest fighters in history and is a weight class heavier than Griffith. Just because Griffith doesn't USE his stength, why is that reason for ranking Bassilo as stronger because he does? Do you think of the Griffith-Tiger fights as anomolies? That they don't matter because Griffith was a little heavier? What does additinal proof of strenght matter, at all? Do you think Basillo would match Tiger for strength? Griffith muscled Parret, too.

It also interests me that Clancey knew before the fight that matching strength would not be an issue for Emile. He had total confidence in his man's strength.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

I don't think he did match strength with Tiger. I think he was able to hold his own in certain inside exchanges and clinches before Tiger really had a chance to get his feet underneath him and really impose himself. It was an excellent, if very simple, gameplan that Emile often used. For the most part, he just stuck to his typical stick and move behind the jab strategy. Were he to have fought with Tiger for prolonged periods on the inside (A prime Tiger, mind you. Remember he never got within 5 pounds of making the MW limit again) I might agree. As it is, he didn't and I don't think he could.

When you factor in that he simply did not show the kind of strength that you seem to think he posessed in any other bout (in fact he seemed out-muscled by the likes of Luis Rodriguez), it just doesn't add up. I don't think he was any stronger than Duran as a matter of fact, and definitely not as varied or skilled.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Griffith himself was quite happy that he matched Tiger for strength. He was surprised by it, pleasently surprised, the game plan was Arcel's and it seems that Griffith didn't really believe in it 100%, though he clearly believed in Arcel.

I'm also surprised that Tiger was able to enforce his strength on so many other fighters if it was just a case of "not letting him get his feet underneath him". You've got to wonder why every man and his monkey didn't "hold his own in certain inside exchanges". Tiger was accomplished at enforcing his strength upon other men.

Regardless, i'm quite happy that Griffith was a stronger man than Duran. Unless, of course, Duran was able to match him on the inside before Griffith was able to get his feet underneath him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Griffith himself was quite happy that he matched Tiger for strength. He was surprised by it, pleasently surprised, the game plan was Arcel's and it seems that Griffith didn't really believe in it 100%, though he clearly believed in Arcel.

I'm also surprised that Tiger was able to enforce his strength on so many other fighters if it was just a case of "not letting him get his feet underneath him". You've got to wonder why every man and his monkey didn't "hold his own in certain inside exchanges". Tiger was accomplished at enforcing his strength upon other men.

Regardless, i'm quite happy that Griffith was a stronger man than Duran. Unless, of course, Duran was able to match him on the inside before Griffith was able to get his feet underneath him.
A very real possibility. Griffith must've been tripped up for about a 4 fight period against Rodriguez.

Tiger was always able to impose his strength against men who stood their ground with him, otherwise it took him a minute to get his bearings and really start to impose himself. He was a very patient fighter anywhere in the ring, including the inside. Were Griffith to have stood his ground for prolonged periods, as I stated above, it would've proved that he could match strength with a fading Dick Tiger. He didn't do that, so he didn't prove it. He executed a very well laid out gameplan in the first fight (and still arguably lost because he wasn't able to deal with Tiger's strength and fury as well as you seem to think) and beat a shell of the same fighter in the rematch, mostly by boxing him from afar.

Sorry, I just don't see where you're coming from.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
A very real possibility. Griffith must've been tripped up for about a 4 fight period against Rodriguez.


Quote:
Tiger was always able to impose his strength against men who stood their ground with him, otherwise it took him a minute to get his bearings and really start to impose himself.
I don't agree with this at all. Tiger was well balanced most of the time and very ready to deploy when he closed the distance. I don't see any evidence of his taking a minute to "get his bearings" and I don't think i've seen any top drawer pro fighter struggle this much with a change in distance.

Quote:
He was a very patient fighter anywhere in the ring, including the inside. Were Griffith to have stood his ground for prolonged periods, as I stated above, it would've proved that he could match strength with a fading Dick Tiger. He didn't do that, so he didn't prove it.
Alright, but your basically tossing out exchanges of strength because Griffith didn't stand and punch for extended periods with a bigger man. Doesn't seem logical to me - why not just use what is available on film to break down the fighter? For the record, Gil Clancy:

"I have a picture in my basement that the two of them took together in the gym, and you know, Dick was much heavier than Griffith but Griffith had such a big upper body...if you saw the two together you would think Griffith was the heavier."

Griffith: "I was stronger than him inside."

Griffith said this to Clancy, not in public for some press-conference bombast, to Clancy, in private. Clancy replied, "Emile, i've been telling you that for two months."

Quote:
still arguably lost because he wasn't able to deal with Tiger's strength and fury as well as you seem to think
He arguably won, as well, like on the judges score-cards for example. Presumably because he was able to deal with these things as well as I think.

Most of the clinches from around the 8th were initiated by Griffith. Griffith claims to have felt the stronger of the two in these clinches. That's debateable, but he does very well in them. Either you are right and Tiger couldn't get his feet underneath him for some reason, or I am right and Griffith is a very strong human being.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Emile Griffith vs. Roberto Duran at 147

Goddamnit! Why? Why did you have to drag me into an increasingly lengthy debate at 11:00 in the morning, immediately after getting home from a drunken bash? I realize you're probably at work with **** all to do, but I'm off today and somewhat hungover. I'm unshowered and unshaven, completely unfit for lengthy debates on the internet. Just little quips will suffice for now.

We'll finish this later.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013