Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Hagler v Hopkins

Prime for Prime.

I see Marvin winning a close decision after 12 cagey rounds.
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Hopkins

I see Bernard holding his own through boxing and movement, but over time I see Marvin's tenacity taking over. Hagler eventually wears X down for an 10th round TKO.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Hagler UD. Same outcome over 12 or 15.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

B-Hop in a close but clear decision. He has all the physical advantages over Hagler, is very hard to outbox and can match Hagler for any rough tactics he might employ. How anyone could think that this fight is going to finish with a stoppage either way is beyond me.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #5
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
B-Hop in a close but clear decision. He has all the physical advantages over Hagler, is very hard to outbox and can match Hagler for any rough tactics he might employ.

Hagler would outhussle him and sweep the championship rounds on effective workrate. Hopkins is mean, Marv meaner. Hopkins would be removed from anything appraoching a comfort zone.

Quote:
How anyone could think that this fight is going to finish with a stoppage either way is beyond me.

100% agreed.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
ramalinga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There is a reason Marvin stayed at middleweight for his whole career, besides legacy. he was an incredible physical fighter at 160. I'm not so sure he would fare well against a fighter who was able to jump to 175 and outmuscle a 6'3 fighter like Tarver who walks around at 210 - 220. Hopkins has been beaten by one attribute, speed. RJJ, Taylor, Calzaghe all had very different styles but the speed advantage over Hopkins. Marvin's was a very good boxer - puncher but his best attribute was his combination of relentlessness and chin, something that doesn't do the trick against Hopkins. Close fight, but I see Hopkins edging it.
ramalinga is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

hagler ud over 12 or 15
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Hopkins has the perfect style to beat Hagler IMO. He's tall and rangey, good on the outside, durable, quick, decent jab, defense, and he's got a superb boxing brain. I just think his overall style would pose serious problems for Hagler. IMO, Hopkins' best bet would be to hang back and counter rather than rush forward.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDredd View Post
Prime for Prime.

I see Marvin winning a close decision after 12 cagey rounds.
This is how I see it. It's hard to gauge how it would be if it was a 15 rounder,as Hopkins is n't quite old enough to have fought in the fifteen round era.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think Hopkins has some of the tools to beat Hagler, but he's missing a few. I think to beat Hagler you'd have to have more power, speed and movement than Hopkins possesses, although he's no slouch in any of those areas.

Intruiging chess match. Close first 6 rounds. Hagler's takes over in the second half as the they both open up.

UD Hagler.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten View Post
I think Hopkins has some of the tools to beat Hagler, but he's missing a few. I think to beat Hagler you'd have to have more power, speed and movement than Hopkins possesses, although he's no slouch in any of those areas.

Intruiging chess match. Close first 6 rounds. Hagler's takes over in the second half as the they both open up.

UD Hagler.
I agree and I think Hagler had a better jab overall.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

Hagler ud. Faster, sharper, stronger and with better combinations. He'd also outwork Hopkins too.
As for Hopkins prime I'm guessing were going with the master who disected Trinidad as opposed to the younger version who beat Johnson.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Hagler ud. Faster, sharper, stronger and with better combinations. He'd also outwork Hopkins too.
As for Hopkins prime I'm guessing were going with the master who disected Trinidad as opposed to the younger version who beat Johnson.
You know Hopkins had a little difficulty dealing with the strength and power of Echols and Allen. I think your right in that he perfected his defense a little more leading up to Trinidad, but then again Trinidad was never a true middleweight, and Joppy and Holmes were smallish middleweights as well.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #14
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
You know Hopkins had a little difficulty dealing with the strength and power of Echols and Allen. I think your right in that he perfected his defense a little more leading up to Trinidad, but then again Trinidad was never a true middleweight, and Joppy and Holmes were smallish middleweights as well.
I agree that Tito was more a natural light middle but Joppy and Holmes? Now you are altering facts to suit your hypothesis. Joppy has never fought below middle and is the same height as Hagler, while Holmes is 6 feet 2.

I personally give Hopkins the slight edge here. I can't see Hagler outboxing the taller, more mobile Hopkins. And while Hopkins of course won't be able to do a sugar Ray and stay away all night, Hopkins has shown he is very effective on the inside and while at a disadvantage wouldn't be completely overwhelmed in close.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I can definitely see Hagler outboxing Hopkins during periods of the fight. Hagler would have the greater workrate, better jab, more fluid combinations, edge in strength and power and at least be even on sheer boxing ability. For all Hop's ability, he just doesn't quite have the skillset to deal with what Hagler brings.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum