Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Most creditable win (taking quality of opposition and dominance into account)
Rosario 17 85.00%
Camacho 2 10.00%
Taylor I 1 5.00%
Taylor II 0 0%
Haugen 0 0%
Ramirez 0 0%
Mayweather I 0 0%
Mayweather II 0 0%
Lockridge 0 0%
Martinez 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #31
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez's most creditable win?

The rematch with Roger Mayweather is worth a mention. Roger was on a roll & had defeated a number of Mexican fighters on the West Coast. until he got the attention of Chavez for a rematch. Chavez pounded on Mayweather to the point were Roger didn't want to come out for the eleventh round.
Plus the victory over Ramirez, which was for the unified Lightweight Championship. The Lightweight version of Chavez had little difficulty with Ramirez. Who incidently was at the top of his game as well.
la-califa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #32
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by la-califa View Post
The rematch with Roger Mayweather is worth a mention. Roger was on a roll & had defeated a number of Mexican fighters on the West Coast. until he got the attention of Chavez for a rematch. Chavez pounded on Mayweather to the point were Roger didn't want to come out for the eleventh round.
Plus the victory over Ramirez, which was for the unified Lightweight Championship. The Lightweight version of Chavez had little difficulty with Ramirez. Who incidently was at the top of his game as well.
Yeah I agree
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #33
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

i am just edging toward taylor I and i know i am going to be in the minority here the stoppage may have been controversial but taylor was busted up and a beaten man at the end

2.rosario
3.matinez
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #34
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
i am just edging toward taylor I and i know i am going to be in the minority here the stoppage may have been controversial but taylor was busted up and a beaten man at the end

2.rosario
3.matinez
I think you have a valid point, after all it takes two fighters to make a great fight
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #35
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post

2.rosario
3.matinez
Had the fight been ten years earlier, it would be just remembered as a great fight & terrific dismantling by Chavez. In NO WAY would Taylor have lasted fifteen rounds!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #36
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Had the fight been ten years earlier, it would be just remembered as a great fight & terrific dismantling by Chavez. In NO WAY would Taylor have lasted fifteen rounds!
You have to judge within context by era, though. Extending that logic, you can say someone in the old days who won a fight by hanging on until the bell signaling the end of the 15th "wouldn't have lasted in a 20 round fight!".
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #37
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

There's no doubt about it, his win against Azabache Martinez is his most underrated win.

Martinez was a guy that gave EVERYONE (bar Chavez) hell throughout his career, and he's one of the best fighters of recent times never to win a world title. Unfortunately every time he got a shot there was Chavez or a Fenech or a Nelson in his way. That said he was a little unfortunate not to walk away with the title the first time he faced Azumah. Fought a great fight that night.

Anyway, Chavez's systematic beatdown of Martinez was a great early performance by Chavez, before weight issues started to get on top of him in 85-6.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #38
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
You have to judge within context by era, though. Extending that logic, you can say someone in the old days who won a fight by hanging on until the bell signaling the end of the 15th "wouldn't have lasted in a 20 round fight!".
The 15 round "Era" Lasted for over 60 years. Doubtful Taylor would even been allowed out for a thirteenth round to be honest.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #39
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
The 15 round "Era" Lasted for over 60 years. Doubtful Taylor would even been allowed out for a thirteenth round to be honest.
Right. You made that point already. And then I made a different point. And here you are reverting to the point you already made, which does not exactly qualify as "progression".
Old 09-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #40
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Right. You made that point already. And then I made a different point. And here you are reverting to the point you already made, which does not exactly qualify as "progression".
The point you are referring to could be at the turn of the century, when Boxing still had it's rules & regulations finalized. Not only 15+ rounds, but also Bare nuckle & hitting an opponent as soon as he rises, neutral corner, ect. But since then the 15 round limit has been the Boxing standard, which mostly all of the greatest world champions have competed in. 12 round fights will always suffer in comparison to, what if's in regards to 15 round fights. And 15 round Champions of the past. Fairly or unfailrly, that's only for history to decide. But I understand the point you are making. In comparison if the 15 rounds limit had been instituted a little earlier. Jack Johnson might well have extended his title reign by a couple of more years. Imagine if Dempsey had to have challenged Johnson for the Championship?! That would have been something!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #41
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
The point you are referring to could be at the turn of the century, when Boxing still had it's rules & regulations finalized. Not only 15+ rounds, but also Bare nuckle & hitting an opponent as soon as he rises, neutral corner, ect. But since then the 15 round limit has been the Boxing standard, which mostly all of the greatest world champions have competed in. 12 round fights will always suffer in comparison to, what if's in regards to 15 round fights. And 15 round Champions of the past. Fairly or unfailrly, that's only for history to decide. But I understand the point you are making. In comparison if the 15 rounds limit had been instituted a little earlier. Jack Johnson might well have extended his title reign by a couple of more years. Imagine if Dempsey had to have challenged Johnson for the Championship?! That would have been something!
I fully understand, but by that same token one could - fairly or unfairly - choose to hold those 15-round era champions up to the standards of those who fought thirty-plus rounds in the prototype days of the modern version of the sport.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #42
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I fully understand, but by that same token one could - fairly or unfairly - choose to hold those 15-round era champions up to the standards of those who fought thirty-plus rounds in the prototype days of the modern version of the sport.
Very good point. Just curious, Did Dempsey ever fight 15+ rounds in a fight? I know Jack Johnson Did. Willard conquered him. But then was blown out by Dempsey & most Dempsey early challengers were simularly stopped early. By the end of Dempsey's rule. The 15 round limit had been pretty much established. A prime Dempsey-Johnson bout for 20+ rounds would have been something.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #43
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by es***boy View Post
I was gonna say Camacho myself.
I was also impressed with the total dominance of Camacho. He showed he could have problems with a speedy slickster but he totally beat down Camacho. Of course the Whitaker fight totally reversed that, so maybe Camacho did in fact lose a step at that time. I had heard that he was having some big drug problems at that time, so Im sure that attributed to it.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #44
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
I was also impressed with the total dominance of Camacho. He showed he could have problems with a speedy slickster but he totally beat down Camacho. Of course the Whitaker fight totally reversed that, so maybe Camacho did in fact lose a step at that time. I had heard that he was having some big drug problems at that time, so Im sure that attributed to it.
I read an interview in one of the Boxing magazine's a few years back, inwhich the interviewer asked Chavez if he carried Camacho to punish him for all the things he was saying. Chavez just smiled & didn't respond.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #45
smitty_son408
J ust E njoy T his S hit
ESB Addict

The Rosario fight was one of the ATG master classes, clearly his best performance.
smitty_son408 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum