Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post
I agree that Tito was more a natural light middle but Joppy and Holmes? Now you are altering facts to suit your hypothesis. Joppy has never fought below middle and is the same height as Hagler, while Holmes is 6 feet 2.

I personally give Hopkins the slight edge here. I can't see Hagler outboxing the taller, more mobile Hopkins. And while Hopkins of course won't be able to do a sugar Ray and stay away all night, Hopkins has shown he is very effective on the inside and while at a disadvantage wouldn't be completely overwhelmed in close.
I wouldnt consider Joppy and Holmes big strong middleweights. Yes natural, but not the biggest or strongest, and Im not implying Hopkins was weak nor did he not face strong guys. Hagler was certainly as strong as Echols or Allen, but a 100 times better fighter and they gave Hopkins some problems back in the day.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Hagler ud. Faster, sharper, stronger and with better combinations. He'd also outwork Hopkins too.
As for Hopkins prime I'm guessing were going with the master who disected Trinidad as opposed to the younger version who beat Johnson.
Hagler, faster and sharper? Nah.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
ramalinga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten View Post
I can definitely see Hagler outboxing Hopkins during periods of the fight. Hagler would have the greater workrate, better jab, more fluid combinations, edge in strength and power and at least be even on sheer boxing ability. For all Hop's ability, he just doesn't quite have the skillset to deal with what Hagler brings.
Jab, strength and power for Hagler? Hopkins has the height of Hearns, with a natural LHW frame. He only stayed a middleweight for so long because of his unusual discipline. I don't think Hagler uses a jab effectivey against a 6'1 fighter with Hopkins' defensive abilities. Hopkins bullied Tarver around the ring, he can match the marvelous one for strength.

Marvin had an amazing combination of attributes, but the question is if these were the right ones to beat Hopkins, who only lost to fighters who had a sped advantage and the same height as him. A smaller fighter who can't significantly outspeed Hopkins, even as amazing as Marvin, would have a very difficult time against Hopkins.
ramalinga is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Hopkins despite his mastery of the game is no match for Hagler's skills and power. Hagler splatters his brains all over the ring canvas by the 8th
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #20
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Hopkins despite his mastery of the game is no match for Hagler's skills and power. Hagler splatters his brains all over the ring canvas by the 8th

Hagler doesn't have the power to trouble Hopkins's iron chin. An 8th round stopage or knockout? Get outta here kid.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #21
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Agree with Robbi on this. Hopkins has the style and tools to edge a decision.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Hopkins had admitted various times that Antwon Echols had him hurt big time so he could be hurt. Does that mean Hagler could finish him probably not but he has a better chan to knock out Hopkins late than Hopkins stopping Hagler late.

If they fought 10 times i would pick Hagler to win 6 and Hopkins 4.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hagler doesn't have the power to trouble Hopkins's iron chin. An 8th round stopage or knockout? Get outta here kid.
Power was not Hagler's biggest asset yet he still took out several iron chinned foes. It's not just htting power we're talking about, it's how and where you hit a man.

A good sharp hitter like Hagler will often take out someone no matter how their reputable their chin. A good sharp jolt you don't see coming will do enough damage.

Hopkins isnt just going to come away taking jabs that graze him and shake off hooks like they're nothing. You're living in a fantasy world
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #24
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Power was not Hagler's biggest asset yet he still took out several iron chinned foes. It's not just htting power we're talking about, it's how and where you hit a man.

A good sharp hitter like Hagler will often take out someone no matter how their reputable their chin. A good sharp jolt you don't see coming will do enough damage.

Hopkins isnt just going to come away taking jabs that graze him and shake off hooks like they're nothing. You're living in a fantasy world
Where do you get all the Hagler pictures?
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

at 160 Mavin too fast and too strong...Marvin wins a close UD at lightheavy B-Hop stronger and not as drained may pull out a SD
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Hopkins UD better boxer, better defense, smarter.

1 thing we can agree on the loser will be bitter and talk trash
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #27
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Hopkins UD better boxer, better defense, smarter.

1 thing we can agree on the loser will be bitter and talk trash
B-Hop all the way.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #28
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
I wouldnt consider Joppy and Holmes big strong middleweights. Yes natural, but not the biggest or strongest, and Im not implying Hopkins was weak nor did he not face strong guys. Hagler was certainly as strong as Echols or Allen, but a 100 times better fighter and they gave Hopkins some problems back in the day.
I agree Hagler is of course much better than Echols and Allen but I don't see the correlation. Hopkins is better than Antuofermo and Duran at mddleweight who gave Hagler a few problems.

In terms of strength I have never seen Hopkins dominated. I just rewatched Hopkins/Echols 2 and whenever Hopkins came forward he forced Echols back and he showed he was stronger also in the clinches. But of course Hagler was physically stronger than anyone else he fought but Hopkins would not be completely overwhelmed physically by Hagler based upon what he showed at middleweight and especially Light Heavyweight.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #29
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You can't beat Hagler unless you throw punches in bunches. Hokins doesn't fight that way. Hagler throws punches in bunches. He is relentless. Hopkins would not be able to deal with the style. It doesn't matter whether Hopkins lands counter rights all night. He won't throw enough punches to outpoint Hagler. It's really that simple.
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #30
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

To the person who doesn't see how somebody who moves up in weight and beats a light heavyweight loses to Hagler? Hearns moved up in weight and won the light heavyweight title twice, once against Virgil Hill, a terrific fighter. Hagler destroyed Hearns.
MrMarvel is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum