Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Gary Mason

Thoughts on this guy?

I'm watching his fight with Lennox now and have to say that he is impressive. Never quite became a top contender but was a good fighter anyway and one that would of beaten many ranked higher than him. Reminds of Roy Tiger Williams a little in that regard.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gary Mason

Good fighter. I always had a soft spot for him. Led in his boots though. Really good win for Lennox at that stage.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcount View Post
He is now involved in therapeutic drumming).
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Heavy handed but had very suspect stamina IIRC. As said, very good win for LL considering the circumstances.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Muchmoore

vCash:

It's amazing how deep the 90's was. Guy's like Mason were good fighters but never even legit top ten fighters for any significant period. I look at the top fighters from today and think that all of them would have their struggles with this guy.

Gary Mason is sort of an unknown though. Lennox was the only top end opponent he faced, other than that no real other names on his resume.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchmoore View Post
It's amazing how deep the 90's was. Guy's like Mason were good fighters but never even legit top ten fighters for any significant period. I look at the top fighters from today and think that all of them would have their struggles with this guy.

Gary Mason is sort of an unknown though. Lennox was the only top end opponent he faced, other than that no real other names on his resume.
Early 90's that is. By the mid 90's the talent pool was circling the drain.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Mason was probably at least as good as someone like Sam Peter.

In his day, he wasn't even considered among the top tier contenders. Today, he'd probably have a title and be getting hyped up the ass by HBO.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Mason was probably at least as good as someone like Sam Peter.

In his day, he wasn't even considered among the top tier contenders. Today, he'd probably have a title and be getting hyped up the ass by HBO.
That's what I mean.

Mason isn't that known today but he would beat the ever living shit out of Chris Arreola. The Klits both beat him but I can see him troubling Wlad with his awkward style and strength.

This guy can take a shot too, Lewis landed a monster uppercut in the first round and some powerful right hands but Mason barely even blinked.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Hell of a chin, didn't he end up with serious eye damage that was partially responsible for his retirement after the Lennox match? Gives you a good idea of how much heavy artillery Lennox landed on him.

That was a real war regardless, Lennox definitely wasn't as concerned about shutting down an opponents offense as he would later become. Mason hit him with some very flush shots.

He was a stablemate of Bruno's if I'm remembering correctly, and they sparred here and there. I never heard how those sessions ended though.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I admit that I never saw him fight, but his record against quality fighters is slim. Hell, Tyrell Biggs may well have been the best man he beat and Biggs hadn't won a fight in nearly three years. From what people from Britain have told me, he was a solid puncher who lacked that extra something special.. A tough opponent for anyone who was average to decent, but any elite man would demolished him from what I gather....
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Muchmoore

vCash:

You should check out Mason-Lewis on youtube, Magoo

He'll impress you I bet. The guy is tough.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Quote:

Well, he did face and beat Tyrell Biggs, but Biggs was firmly in the journeyman stage by then. It was a performance that was solid and workmanlike without being great in any way.

For me part of Mason's problem was that he was of the slow and ponderous variety; a fighter lacking imagination and the ability to improvise.
He was a monolith though, to his credit. Very tough and a good puncher.

But this is kind of what I was alluding to in another thread about the depth of the 90's. As mentioned, Mason was basically an unknown outside the UK, but he did possess some genuine ability. Same with Francesco Damiani over in Italy.
Both guys would be solid contenders today, for sure.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You should check out Mason-Lewis on youtube, Magoo

He'll impress you I bet. The guy is tough.

I'll check it out based on your recommendation my friend.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 483

Mason was always playing second fiddle in his career.

He was the who cares on the undercard to Bruno; then the not as classy as Horace, then when he had his chance to shine sucked against Wills and was darn lucky against Biggs (in what I think may of been a dive) in fights I saw him live.

Now confession time

I was the ony one of my crowd to pick him to beat Lewis in their war at Wembley!

I have since met Gary, he has real class and is IMO a genuine, nice fella.

I am glad I always had a soft spot for him, but Harding and his brilliant ticker aside, he was merely OK...

Last edited by TBooze; 09-21-2009 at 10:03 PM.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 05:19 AM   #15
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

funny this but i was thinking about starting a thread last saturday about if arreola is a contender these days how would gary mason be viewed would he be the most dangerous contender to the klits ,and also being a brit would haye fight him to secure a tittle shot ,i am not convinced haye would of beaten mason ,as said above mason was very slow but could take a good shot would haye of run out of gas and got stopped late

think i will start a poll
Mr Butt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum