Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #31
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hagler v Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvel View Post
You can't beat Hagler unless you throw punches in bunches. Hokins doesn't fight that way. Hagler throws punches in bunches. He is relentless. Hopkins would not be able to deal with the style. It doesn't matter whether Hopkins lands counter rights all night. He won't throw enough punches to outpoint Hagler. It's really that simple.
This is a pretty important point when matching up these two. Hagler's workrate was impressive. And he was accurate with it. Down the stretch it would be one of the differences.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 04:18 AM   #32
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hopkins has the perfect style to beat Hagler IMO. He's tall and rangey, good on the outside, durable, quick, decent jab, defense, and he's got a superb boxing brain. I just think his overall style would pose serious problems for Hagler. IMO, Hopkins' best bet would be to hang back and counter rather than rush forward.

X 2, Hagler will never fully figure out the puzzle that is Hopkins IMO. Good hard close fight with ring smarts being the difference for mine.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #33
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten View Post
This is a pretty important point when matching up these two. Hagler's workrate was impressive. And he was accurate with it. Down the stretch it would be one of the differences.
Hopkins also had a good workrate himself during his prime. Watch the Johnson fight he threw anything from 60-100 punches a round for the whole fight. Though I must admit it would not be a good idea for Hopkins to stand and trade but he was capable of raising his workrate when needed in his prime. Hopkins was also very accurate with it as well, though could get wild sometimes.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 AM   #34
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvel View Post
To the person who doesn't see how somebody who moves up in weight and beats a light heavyweight loses to Hagler? Hearns moved up in weight and won the light heavyweight title twice, once against Virgil Hill, a terrific fighter. Hagler destroyed Hearns.
I am guessing that is aimed at me. But you seem to have completely taken by argument out of context. I never stated Hagler could not beat anyone who went up and won a light heavyweight title.

I am simply trying to suggest that strength wise Hopkins would not be overwhelmed by Hagler as he has shown through out his career that he is physically very strong himself and used the example that he was able to deal with a full blown light heavyweight to emphasise that fact.

So your example using Hearns who despite being a big framed fighter was never known for his physical strength completely misses the point of my original argument.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum