Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Left Hook- palms down or facing inward?

Its better Biomechanicaly to Turn the Shot for direction and Technique.
scrap is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Depends what you are trying to achieve with the punch and what openings are present at the time.

It amazes me how many people ask how to throw this punch, that punch and the other punch. If you only had one style of jab, one way of throwing the right hand, one type of hook and one way of throwing the uppercut, you would be an extremely limited fighter. A good fighter needs to be versatile to be able to adapt to different situations.

Practice throwing all shots, from all angles, with differing angles of the hand at impact, from all ranges, off the back foot, off the front foot etc.

If I have said this once, I have said it a million times - the more options you have, the more problems your opponent will have.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

That's a good point Bodi.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #19
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thank you RDJ

It tires me when I hear people say that you should throw a punch "this way because it gives more power". There is a big difference between throwing a punch in a certain manner repeatedly, and being able to throw that same punch when the situation requires you to throw it. All of the power in the world doesn't mean a s*** if you can't land. Accuracy is the key to every punch we throw.

Let me refer back to the Mayweather - Hatton fight. Floyd effectively sealed the deal with one of the sweetest check hooks we will ever see, but did Mayweather only throw check hooks throughout the fight? Of course he didn't! The variation in his attacks is what caused Hatton so much trouble, and this is why Floyd is arguably the best fighter of his generation.

I would also like to see someone tell Roy Jones that he is throwing hooks wrong when he lands 7 of them in quick succession.

Yes, I am pointing out two of the best in the game, but the point remains the same, which if something isn't working, you need to have the ability to tweak things slightly, and you can only do this if you have worked different variations in training - sparring is the perfect time to work on things like this.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

We may not be Jones Jr. or Mayweather, but that's ok we're not fighting their competition either.

I'm convinced after thinking about it. My right hook is more powerful when thrown with the thumb up against a bag, but I can't land it so it just stinks in sparring. With the thumb towards me I can get it off faster and hide the punch better, Hopkins style. Landed a few of them today actually, which surprised me.

Same for the jab, I sometimes throw it with the thumb up. Salvador Sanchez does that a lot, and so does McCallum. I'm being told not to do it, but biomechanically it just feels so nice in certain circumstances.

I'll be doing both from now on, and no longer bother myself with wondering what the "correct" way is. The correct way is when it lands on your opponents chin and bothers him.

RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:13 PM   #21
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
We may not be Jones Jr. or Mayweather, but that's ok we're not fighting their competition either.

I'm convinced after thinking about it. My right hook is more powerful when thrown with the thumb up against a bag, but I can't land it so it just stinks in sparring. With the thumb towards me I can get it off faster and hide the punch better, Hopkins style. Landed a few of them today actually, which surprised me.

Same for the jab, I sometimes throw it with the thumb up. Salvador Sanchez does that a lot, and so does McCallum. I'm being told not to do it, but biomechanically it just feels so nice in certain circumstances.

I'll be doing both from now on, and no longer bother myself with wondering what the "correct" way is. The correct way is when it lands on your opponents chin and bothers him.

Are your shoulders level when throwing the hook or find yourself leaning thus making it more of an overhand (or even a cross) which can be argued as the most powerful punch possible.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #22
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

It leans a bit towards overhand but it was still a true hook I think. It's too short to be called an overhand unless I'm confused with the terminology. Shoulders were leveled I think, I'll need to check next time to be sure.

Hopkins does it a lot as he steps in. He steps in, ducks a bit, leans to the left, then sneaks it in.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #23
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
It leans a bit towards overhand but it was still a true hook I think. It's too short to be called an overhand unless I'm confused with the terminology. Shoulders were leveled I think, I'll need to check next time to be sure.

Hopkins does it a lot as he steps in. He steps in, ducks a bit, leans to the left, then sneaks it in.
Not really a hook. Either a leaning right cross or short overhand me thinks. For both you can do palm open. Not so much right cross but given the situation it can work. I don't think your thumb is completely up when you are doing the Hopkins move, more 45 degrees.

Is that right?
Old 09-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Not really a hook. Either a leaning right cross or short overhand me thinks. For both you can do palm open. Not so much right cross but given the situation it can work. I don't think your thumb is completely up when you are doing the Hopkins move, more 45 degrees.

Is that right?
No not up, towards me. The fist is horizontal.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #25
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
No not up, towards me. The fist is horizontal.
I re-read your original post. I see what you are saying. My mistake.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #26
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How much a shot turns is in relation to where the elbows are starting from Horses for Courses, nearer the Bumhole the better
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #27
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Interestingly I thought the idea was to land the shot. If the glove if too wide one way and it fits through the other I think I would make the Adjustment.
Quote:
It's simply going to cover a bigger surface area thus distributing the power rather than concentrating it.

It also means that to get around the gloves you are going to go longer with the hook thus opening yourself up more. You can go long and be more accurate with the palm down because you are trying to land your knuckles to establish the power line. After all, the desired aim is to rattle that chin isn't it.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #28
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

I pretty much always keep mine at a 45 degree angle, so half way between inwards & downwards.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #29
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
Interestingly I thought the idea was to land the shot. If the glove if too wide one way and it fits through the other I think I would make the Adjustment.
It's a risk vs reward scenario. I wouldn't want to make adjustments to land a punch but be open at the same time. Personally, I'd wait for the right moment to throw the right shot or I would try to create the right moment rather than throw the wrong type of shot.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #30
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Palm is supposed to be down or at 45 degrees. Big gloves take away accuracy and smooth delivery so alot of people go thumb up and are in effect throwing a haymaker. Elbow isn't up because of open palm and if it is then you can feel your palm being up isn't natural. There will be a slight strain on the forearm. Ultimately it affects your technique.

Keep that palm down and throw the shot for accuracy. Thumb up and you are covering more surface area on the face, which shouldn't be the desired aim.
So you're saying that technique-wise it is better to have the palm facing down so that your elbow will naturally point up?
Mechnically I have to agree, since I find that with the palm down or the thumb almost facing down, you get a better 'hook'. That is the punch starts off high and then slants downwards as it curves back to you... a better angle to dig into the chin.

...some guy the other day was 'correcting' me by saying to throw with the thumb up and STILL hold the elbow up and it just did not feel right. It was almost like my elbow was going to bend off... I get irritated by idiots.

So I'm going to ask, is there any such rationale that a thumb-up hook can or should ever be used? Its a dumb question almost.
Pugsley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing