Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Rare footage of Dick Tiger - two of the best left-hook KOs you'll ever see!!

For all the fans here of Tiger - and left hooks.

Thanks once again to Raging B(_)LL for this footage.

BORKED

BORKED

Both these fights occurred in 1961, a year in which Tiger came into his own. Both fighters were former opponents, and the outcomes plainly illustrated how much Tiger had improved since then. These wins back-to-back catapulted Tiger to the top of the MW rankings.

The first fight was against Gene Armstrong, a fighter who often gets overlooked amidst the deep well of prospects and contenders that was the MW division of the late '50s / early '60s. Armstrong was a very quick and skilled boxer. It was often said in his day that he would've been champion if not for Tiger. Tiger handed him the first three losses of his career. The first two fights, which came not too long after Tiger arrived in the US, were fairly close and competitive. Going into their third fight, Armstrong was coming off probably the biggest and best win of his career over dynamite-punching contender Henry Hank, and was still considered a pick 'em fight against Tiger. But Tiger turned in a shocking performance and battered Armstrong into a 9th round stoppage. Although he still looked a bit rough around the edges at times, particularly when he threw his right hand (LOL at him elbowing Armstrong on top of the head ), he cut off the ring better than he had before and was hitting much harder and more accurately with his punches. Armstrong finished the fight with broken ribs, and was never the same fighter. He tried to comeback a year or so later against Luis Rodriguez, but showed nothing and was stopped again.

The second fight was against Spider Webb, one of the best MW contenders of the '50s and probably one of the best MWs never to win the title. I went into much more detail about Webb and this fight in my recent thread on him. Over the course of his career, he stopped both Joey Giardello and Terry Downes and had also beaten Tiger in a previous fight. Webb had retired a year before this fight here after losing the only title shot of his career to Gene Fullmer, but he chose Tiger to be his "comeback" opponent. A win over Tiger would instantly re-establish him as a top contender, and he probably figured he had a good shot at pulling it off after having beaten him decisively only a couple years earlier. However, it turned out to be a colossal misjudgment by Webb as Tiger had vastly improved since then, and he paid a hefty price for it. This was the only time in his very distinguished career that Webb was stopped. After this, he never fought again.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Rare footage of Dick Tiger - two of the best left-hook KOs you'll ever see!!

Thank you very much, feel free to post more. Dick Tiger is the shit!
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Rare footage of Dick Tiger - two of the best left-hook KOs you'll ever see!!

I forgot how good Tiger was, one of the big names when I was a kid...
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thanks for posting this. Who is the woman in your avater?
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
Wu-Gambino
ESB Swordsman
ESB Jr Member

I maintain Tiger had one of the hardest left hooks ever at 160; he also stopped Jose Monon Gonzalez with it (who beat left hookers Floro Fernandez, Rubin Carter, and Eugene Hart without going down) and almost did the same to Rubin Carter in the 2nd. Forget KO percentages, Tiger could bang, with that hook especially.

Never saw the Webb knockout before, I'm surprised he got up from the first hook. Tiger threw it like a wrecking ball and landed flush. Watching Tiger go to work on the inside was scary; explosive, incredibly powerful, and all around rough (look at those clubs to the back of Armstrong's head), the man cannot be out-fought at 160.

Found an uploaded vid of the Tiger-Gonzalez KO by the way:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Wu-Gambino is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I love it how people think Tiger wasn't a big puncher due to his K.O%....those two K.O's were savage.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #7
heehoo
TIMEXICAH!
ESB Addict

Tiger's one of my favorite ATG's. Thanks for posting these gems.

and yes, Tiger was a HUGE puncher. He fought smart, hence the few KO's.
heehoo is offline  Top
Old 09-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Thanks for posting! Tiger is a favorite of mine. Very underated puncher at middle. Have never seen the footage.
dpw417 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum