Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters who

Cut Alot of weight weeks before like todays fighters? if so they must of been tuff cause they had to fight a few hours later
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,069
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

They often had to go to extreme lengths to make weight.

When Barbados Joe Walcott was training for his fight with Kid Lavigne he had to shovel coal in a boiuler room wearing oilskins in the lead up to the fight. I don't think that it would have been any easy task for him making the weight today.

It could work the other way as well. Fighters stepping up in weight often had to drink gallons of water before the weigh in. Imagine going 15 rounds having to hold back from pissing yourself.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
They often had to go to extreme lengths to make weight.

When Barbados Joe Walcott was training for his fight with Kid Lavigne he had to shovel coal in a boiuler room wearing oilskins in the lead up to the fight. I don't think that it would have been any easy task for him making the weight today.

It could work the other way as well. Fighters stepping up in weight often had to drink gallons of water before the weigh in. Imagine going 15 rounds having to hold back from pissing yourself.
good post very intresting, how about duran and la motta didnt they have to cut alot of weight week before a fight?
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,069
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by St_Boxing_J12 View Post
good post very intresting, how about duran and la motta didnt they have to cut alot of weight week before a fight?
Absolutely.

LaMotta is one of the few old timers who would probably be fighting in the same division today as he was back then. He used toskip in the sauna to get his weight down.

Duran used to party hard between fights and had to cut huge amounts of weight. Opponents like SRL and Hearns tried to schedule fights with him at as short a notice as possible for this reason.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Absolutely.

LaMotta is one of the few old timers who would probably be fighting in the same division today as he was back then. He used toskip in the sauna to get his weight down.

Duran used to party hard between fights and had to cut huge amounts of weight. Opponents like SRL and Hearns tried to schedule fights with him at as short a notice as possible for this reason.
Yeah ray did that to duran in there rematch duran had to cut over 60 pounds in 6 weeks
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

**** it.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,918
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
**** it.
**** what?
cotto20 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Back in the old days when there was day of fight weigh in, were there fighters wh

I typed something else but decided against it.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013