Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default You wanna talk about glass jaws?

When it comes to sports with striking, I think the "glass jaw" term gets thrown around too much. When a fighter is stopped, and it's not because of exhaustion or type of submission(corner, dr., fighter), it is normally due to at least one blow of heavy impact. That blow is usually labeled as being a hard shot, or being landed on an opponent with a weak chin. I think the label is sometimes determined by the fighter's reputation, rather than reality. While I believe a certain amount of powered is needed to induce a knock out blow, I think more emphasis should be given to the blows accuracy. Accuracy may be the wrong word here, because many so call "landed" punches do not automatically result in a knock out. I think the strike has to penetrate in a way that I do not fully understand to produce the knock out. I think that shot has to somehow disrupt the flow of energy in the nervous system, and I don't know of any sure method to produce this effect 100% of the time.

I do believe that there are varying degrees of punch resistance, but I think that luck and defense really weigh in here. Often, a fighter's defense is measured by the number of times an opponent clearly misses. Maybe the ability to avoid a debilitating blow should factor in.

I partially arrive at this way of thinking by arguing with most often those with little boxing experience. I'll see a shot that is not flush, and one of these people will say something along the lines of "it touched him." I'll argue that a blow of such insignificance means little, often to no avail.

Ray Mercer, George Chuvalo, Marvin Hagler, and Jake Lamotta all have a punch resistance that few possess. Most everyone else is use to avoiding such a blow entirely, or are good at avoiding the deciding impact it takes for being knocked out.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: You wanna talk about glass jaws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
When it comes to sports with striking, I think the "glass jaw" term gets thrown around too much. When a fighter is stopped, and it's not because of exhaustion or type of submission(corner, dr., fighter), it is normally due to at least one blow of heavy impact. That blow is usually labeled as being a hard shot, or being landed on an opponent with a weak chin. I think the label is sometimes determined by the fighter's reputation, rather than reality. While I believe a certain amount of powered is needed to induce a knock out blow, I think more emphasis should be given to the blows accuracy. Accuracy may be the wrong word here, because many so call "landed" punches do not automatically result in a knock out. I think the strike has to penetrate in a way that I do not fully understand to produce the knock out. I think that shot has to somehow disrupt the flow of energy in the nervous system, and I don't know of any sure method to produce this effect 100% of the time.

I do believe that there are varying degrees of punch resistance, but I think that luck and defense really weigh in here. Often, a fighter's defense is measured by the number of times an opponent clearly misses. Maybe the ability to avoid a debilitating blow should factor in.

I partially arrive at this way of thinking by arguing with most often those with little boxing experience. I'll see a shot that is not flush, and one of these people will say something along the lines of "it touched him." I'll argue that a blow of such insignificance means little, often to no avail.

Ray Mercer, George Chuvalo, Marvin Hagler, and Jake Lamotta all have a punch resistance that few possess. Most everyone else is use to avoiding such a blow entirely, or are good at avoiding the deciding impact it takes for being knocked out.
Tony Zale stated that the problem with many boxers is" not glass jaws so much, as glass hearts".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think everyone is different. There is a point at which any fighter can be knocked down. This could be attributed to being relaxed, anxious, not seeing the punch, or landing it in the correct spot.
A fighter labeled with a great chin can become more aware of these things as they progress in their careers.
David Tua was knocked out in the amatuers, but hardly ever rocked as a pro. The shot he was knocked out was a shot he didnt see. Did he become more aware of punches coming his way by better concentration?
I think so, and probably why you see some brutal knockouts as fighters become more fatigued.
Evander Holyfield was not the biggest puncher, yet he was able to drop just about everyone. This is because he was one of the most accurate punchers ever. His ability to counter and land his shots right on the button is something rarely seen in any fighter.
I think the "sweet spot" on a fighter gets larger as they age or sacrifice conditioning as well. You've seen fighters with decent chins in their prime become easier to knock down towards the end of their careers and guys with decent chins but poor conditioning get suprisingly stopped.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
That's right. Most fighters chins are shaky to one degree or another. Not glass, necessarily, but not exactly granite either. Truly solid chins are, in fact, quite rare. And a good thing too - boxing would be less exciting if everybody could take shots like these guys.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

It's more mental then any common fan wants to admit.

A fighter who isn't relaxed is more or less going to have issues taking punches. Wladimir Klitschko & Amir Khan come to mind as current fighters who are so unbelievably tense/high strung when taking shots that I can't help but wonder how much better they would take them if they relaxed.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

Punch resistance is the #1 attribute to have in Boxing. 99% of the time a fighter goes nowhere if he does not have a Chin.
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Spadafora View Post
Punch resistance is the #1 attribute to have in Boxing. 99% of the time a fighter goes nowhere if he does not have a Chin.
Terry Norris.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
It's more mental then any common fan wants to admit.

A fighter who isn't relaxed is more or less going to have issues taking punches. Wladimir Klitschko & Amir Khan come to mind as current fighters who are so unbelievably tense/high strung when taking shots that I can't help but wonder how much better they would take them if they relaxed.
Is that Briscoe and Monzon in your avatar?
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 09-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
MrMarvel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer View Post
Terry Norris.
So he's the one percent who went somewhere without a chin? Is this your point?
MrMarvel is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
KTFO

vCash:

Floyd Patterson
Earnie Shavers
Michael Moorer
Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Alll three, no.

Patterson and Moorer were blow up light heavyweights. If Carlos Monzon fought Marciano and got crushed would we say he had a glass chin ?

Shavers had a decent chin, not great but decent. He took Holmes best shots and never went down. He took some bombs from Roy Williams, Tex Cobb, Jeff Sims, ect.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
1) If Carlos Monzon fought Marciano and got crushed would we say he had a glass chin ?

2) Shavers had a decent chin, not great but decent. He took Holmes best shots and never went down. He took some bombs from Roy Williams, Tex Cobb, Jeff Sims, ect.

1) Having read dumbsh*te posts for several years: Yes!

2) Funny as fu**!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvel View Post
Is that Briscoe and Monzon in your avatar?
Yes.
Russell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum