Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
Grinder
Dude, don't call me Dude
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default SSM power at WW overrated post-Margarito

I wanted a more analytical opinion than that offered by the general forum. Since SSM fought Margarito, everyone is talking about his power at WW. However, I think that fight was much more to do with the stylistic matchup. Margarito tried to walk SSM down but he kept getting beaten to the punch. Subsequently, he couldn't touch SSM for the entire fight. Antonio was also wobbled early in the fight which tells me his rock hard chin has been eroded.

Now the news on the street (General Forum) is that SSM is KOing every WW including PW.

Is his power that good at WW or has he been overrated due to Margo's supposed granite chin? Thoughts?
Grinder is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 AM   #2
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: SSM power at WW overrated post-Margarito

Well, he was also the first guy to legitimately KO Wilfredo Rivera, who was considered pretty sturdy at the time. He also scored brutal and shocking KOs over naturally bigger men like Vargas and Mayorga.

I'd say he has something of a history of showing pretty big power at times.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 09-21-2009, 03:56 AM   #3
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I also think its inconsistent though...and I feel his speed and physical strength play just as big a role in his stoppages.

He at times laboured to put away smaller guys at lightweight..even though his dominance was quickly established. Couldnt put away a guy like Estrada.

The Vargas KO isnt to significant IMO..though I picked Fernando to edge out the first fight..Shane took a long while to force a stoppage even when Vargas went all quasimodo early and it wasnt from a clean KO or anything.
The second fight it was very clear that Vargas was not the same fighter that had had laced them up in their first encounter. Also it must be noted that Vargas' durability had taken a hit after the Tito fight and even a further one after the humiliating loss against Hoya, even when roided up.

The Mayo ko impressed me somewhat...As Shane has looked shit all fight and really didnt look like he was hurting Mayorga to much until later in that fight..It must be said though that Ricardo's ability to take a shot wasnt what it used to be and he was spent by that last round.

I think he still stops most at the weight though...whether it be from one punch or an accumulation he is still a dangerous puncher.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If there is a fighter, were Shane knows he is better than & slower. Then Shane can come foreward & attack with greater power. If a fighter has him backpeddling or there is a risk of he himself getting hurt, the power level goes way down. Like against. De La Hoya, Cotto or Forrest. Don't get me wrong. Shane still boxes very well, but he will not go for the knockout.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Shane knocked him out because of handspeed, not power. He landed very cleanly over and over and over again. Against a fighter better able to deal with said handspeed, he will not fare as well.

Shane Mosley is not a prolific puncher at welterweight.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Shane Mosley can clearly hit with some force. Enough to put away Berto, and to hurt theothet Elite Welters. It's his handspeed which is effective. And he must hit with some force as big beatins never stopped Margo before, Shabe used his strength to tie him ip when he tried to get off and eventually stopped him. With Nazim in his corner Shane can still operate at the highest level. I personally feel some of his inconsistensy comes from his on-off working relationship with Jack Mosley. With Nazim he can rely o. His natural gifts AND he has a superb tactician and motivator in his corner. I honestly feel we have yet to see the best of Sugar Shane.
Flea Man is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum