Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,532
vCash: 118
Default Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

I'm not saying he's Zarate level, but watching a few of his fights I feel he might be among the elite.

One of his fights was against a guy called Peter Frissina, who came into a bantam fight at 135 pounds, he was a lightweight come fight night.

Some of the bodyshots Marquez tore into him with were incredible.

Not to mention stopping Vasquez, one of the biggest super banatam weights of all time.

Thoughts?
Russell is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Yes i think he is. Definitely a great puncher on some level, but not the very highest as you already mentioned.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

A heavy puncher, but it didn't transfer to Jr. Featherweight. Rafael cut Isreal to pieces more than severly hurt him. Some of those shots he landed on Vazquez would have taken him out at Bantam. But, Isreal was a little too big & strong at 122.
la-califa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 122,997
vCash: 35250
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

At bantam, he's up there for sure.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: here (duh!)
Posts: 3,224
vCash: 1326
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Aside from Olivares and Zarate, there isn't anyone who is clearly better. He was a vicious puncher.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Yes...but with the kind of weight he was cutting..I think the size advantage he quite often had over his opponants helped aswell.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,918
vCash: 75
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Yes. People that immediately spring to mind as bigger punchers are Zarate, Olivares and Zamora.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Jofre, Olivares, Zarate, McGovern, Zamora, Borkhorsor, Becerra, Moon, etc. That's pretty elite company right there.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #9
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,918
vCash: 75
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Jofre, Olivares, Zarate, McGovern, Zamora, Borkhorsor, Becerra, Moon, etc. That's pretty elite company right there.
Was on the way to work (on bus at 5 this morning!) This is a pretty comprehensive list.

Never seen Borkhorsor, is there any footage?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #10
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Was on the way to work (on bus at 5 this morning!) This is a pretty comprehensive list.

Never seen Borkhorsor, is there any footage?
He's better known as a Flyweight, where he was freakishly strong and powerful, but where he also struggled to make the weight due to his natural size. When he moved up to Bantamweight he was by most accounts robbed of the title against two time Olivares conqueror Rafael Herrera, in a viscious bout that saw Herrera's face turned to mush by the end. I strongly doubt Marquez would've had that kind of success against a fighter of Herrera's caliber. Would've been more than a handful for any of the swarmers and bangers from Flyweight to Bantamweight. Harada, Gonzalez, Galaxy, Moon, you name 'em.

There is footage of the aforementioned Herrera bout, which was said to have been a true barn-burner by the way. There's also footage of him at Flyweight and further footage at Bantamweight, I believe. A fighter to research, no question. Mantequilla and Raging B(_)LL are both very high on him, for starters. That alone should give you some insight as to what kind of fighter he was.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,918
vCash: 75
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
He's better known as a Flyweight, where he was freakishly strong and powerful, but where he also struggled to make the weight due to his natural size. When he moved up to Bantamweight he was by most accounts robbed of the title against two time Olivares conqueror Rafael Herrera, in a viscious bout that saw Herrera's face turned to mush by the end. I strongly doubt Marquez would've had that kind of success against a fighter of Herrera's caliber. Would've been more than a handful for any of the swarmers and bangers from Flyweight to Bantamweight. Harada, Gonzalez, Galaxy, Moon, you name 'em.

There is footage of the aforementioned Herrera bout, which was said to have been a true barn-burner by the way. There's also footage of him at Flyweight and further footage at Bantamweight, I believe. A fighter to research, no question. Mantequilla and Raging B(_)LL are both very high on him, for starters. That alone should give you some insight as to what kind of fighter he was.
That's what I wanted

will have to speak to (_)ull and see what he's got, cheers Pea.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Seen some of the Herrera bout flea...Borkhosor was some fighter..built like a brick shithouse, much like Galaxy, gave Raf H all he could handel from the footage I saw. Love to see him in action at flyweight,
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,918
vCash: 75
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Seen some of the Herrera bout flea...Borkhosor was some fighter..built like a brick shithouse, much like Galaxy, gave Raf H all he could handel from the footage I saw. Love to see him in action at flyweight,
Will HAVE to track footage down then
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Refael Marquez - An ATG Puncher at 118?

Anyone seen Rafa's single-shot KO of Heriberto Ruiz? This is the dictionary definition of a born powerpuncher. No drawback, just a short jolt to the chin that completely obliterates an opponent who had been strong and competitive a split second before. Beautiful punching, almost Foster-esque.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013