younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: best boxing books and why

Sonny Liston: Night Train would be my personal choice for the number one spot. The author takes an angle and runs with it but his window into that world is anything but narrow. You're taken into the different worlds of ownership that Sonny was exposed to - and what he exposed his fellow human to in return (or not). It less than stellar where the fights are concerned, but it's a really decent stab at unlocking Liston.

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row. Shed's loads of interesting light on a crew of fighters that you wouldn't normally run across. Lovingly written but not slavishly so.

Jack Johnson: Unforgivable Blackness. Brilliant, thorough, takes no shit. Presents the evidence and allows you to draw your own conclusion. This is a monster book, probably a must read for boxing fans.

Dark Trade. This is the best book i've read about modern boxing. This guy gets Tyson at the crux of so many of the most important times in his fall. It's worth reading for that alone, but the Toney stuff is absolutley priceless.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
younghypnotiq
Belt holder
ESB Addict

what are those like novels? the only boxing book i have read is the jack dempsey book.
younghypnotiq is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Sonny in Dallas

The Gene Tunney biography by Jack Cavanaugh was quite good. The autobiography of Vicki LaMotta (with Thomas Hauser) was excellent. The Two Ton Tony Galento book was weak.
Sonny in Dallas is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I listed alot of them in the worst book thread along with my least fav.
robert ungurean is online now  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 02:56 AM   #6
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean
I listed alot of them in the worst book thread along with my least fav.
Post it again
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #7
Pete47
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

"Corner Men - Great Bboxing Trainers" by Ronald K. Fried. It offers fascinating informations about trainers like Ray Arcel, Jack Blackburne and others.
Pete47 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 04:06 AM   #8
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Sonny Liston: Night Train would be my personal choice for the number one spot. The author takes an angle and runs with it but his window into that world is anything but narrow. You're taken into the different worlds of ownership that Sonny was exposed to - and what he exposed his fellow human to in return (or not). It less than stellar where the fights are concerned, but it's a really decent stab at unlocking Liston.

Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row. Shed's loads of interesting light on a crew of fighters that you wouldn't normally run across. Lovingly written but not slavishly so.

Jack Johnson: Unforgivable Blackness. Brilliant, thorough, takes no shit. Presents the evidence and allows you to draw your own conclusion. This is a monster book, probably a must read for boxing fans.

Dark Trade. This is the best book i've read about modern boxing. This guy gets Tyson at the crux of so many of the most important times in his fall. It's worth reading for that alone, but the Toney stuff is absolutley priceless.
I just bought Night Train
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 04:47 AM   #9
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

In this corner - just a great book
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuza
I just bought Night Train

PM me or post a review when you're done, let me know what you think.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete47
"Corner Men - Great Bboxing Trainers" by Ronald K. Fried. It offers fascinating informations about trainers like Ray Arcel, Jack Blackburne and others.
I second this. A very enjoyable read. Fried illuminates Eddie Futch's brilliance.

"50 Years at Ringside," by Nat Fleischer was intriguing. It provided a sense of immediacy to many events and people considered ancient history today.

The instructional books by Dempsey, Haislet, Walsh and Thomas.

"Rocky Marciano: Biography of a First Son," by Everett Skehan. The ways in which the plight of Joe Louis influenced his determination to avoid the same fate is striking. It details Marciano's dedication to conditioning, and how his dismal amateur debut drove him to never again suffer the same outcome.

Mickey Walker's autobiography is loaded with BS, but it's also a vivid colorful narrative of life in the 1920's. Like Dempsey's mother Celia (who in part raised her son on a second-hand biography of John L. Sullivan she reportedly purchased while pregnant with Jack in 1895, though this could be apocryphal), Mickey's mother Liz was her son's most enthusiastic cheerleader in boxing. (If a young up and coming boxer had both a mom like that, and a spouse like Joan Antuofermo, how could he lose?)

Too many other great books to mention, but most are out of print.

One day, somebody ought to publish a collection of newspaper clippings covering boxing from around the turn of the century, published by various sportswriters in diverse locations. A friend of my father's passed away a few years ago, and he was both a boxer, and later a news columnist.

Upon his death, my father received his huge album of deteriorating clippings on boxing events from a hundred years ago. Many of these articles were written in the immediate aftermath of Erne/Gans I, and most of them savagely criticize Gans for quitting, although a few exonerate him. Some of these attacking sportswriters would later change their tune on Gans profoundly. It's fascinating to read contemporary coverage of historical boxing events as they actually unfolded, from a variety of different locations and viewpoints, then comparing some of this commentary to existing films of those events, whenever available.

As more newspapers offer their entire history on-line, perhaps some dedicated and enthusiastic researcher will undertake such a challenge. (It would have to be a total fanatic. I get tired just thinking about it. But it would be a cool thing to read the actual source documentation on the occurrences we rehash at this forum.)

It's astounding sometimes, to see how badly the quality of sportswriting has deteriorated with the advent of electronic media. Most members of the press who cover sports today are utterly clueless about the history of their subject matter. I would never present myself as an expert on a sport I didn't know inside and out. (That's another reason why I hang out here-to learn more about a subject I have severely limited knowledge of. I only followed boxing passionately for a very brief period in time. I'm no kind of expert on any of this.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyuza
Post it again
I wish I new how .
Im not very computer savy & Im a slow typer.
I'll ask my son to help.
robert ungurean is online now  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #13
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

I personally liked Thomas Hausers biography on Ali. Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times. I know it didn't offer any deep insights in to boxing itself, but it was nevertheless an enjoyable read. Hauser basically interviewed countless key people in Ali's life and asked them to comment on certain events. It was a great read.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
I personally liked Thomas Hausers biography on Ali. Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times.
To be honest i found that one a little bit biased in Ali's favour. I like The Fight for a book on Ali - although Mailer is very much a beliver, he manages to maintain a little distance.

Ghost of Manilla is another good one - frightening read for Ali fans though.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Jose Torres book 'Sting like a Bee' on Ali is a great read cuz it's written by a fighter so he knows what he's talking about. More fighting insight is found in this book.
groove is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum