Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #76
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Could Floyd Mayweather beat a prime Meldrick Taylor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Mayweather is an ATG. His skills are undeniable in the ring. I wish modern historians, and some writers would give Mayweahter his due.

I think he wins a decision over Taylor.
While I'm far from a historian, I agree with all the above. I think Mayweather is a phenom, and while I really wish he would test himself to his utmost limits, he has acquired quite a laudable resume all the same.

I picked Meldrick Taylor for this thread not because of his resume or accomplishments, but because I believe he has a unique set of abilities that would make it difficult for Floyd to win. Just the combination of ATG handspeed and a really bitchin' workrate makes it hard to win rounds against Taylor -- and we saw he could keep up that workrate under tremendous pressure and stress, absorbing much punishment versus Chavez yet still winning rounds.

Floyd would have to win the fight with his feet, turning Taylor, countering -- but can he effectively outscore Taylor while countering? With that handspeed. I dunno. I'd like to see it.

I really think Floyd would be an underdog here. Styles make fights.
Shake is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #77
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
While I'm far from a historian, I agree with all the above. I think Mayweather is a phenom, and while I really wish he would test himself to his utmost limits, he has acquired quite a laudable resume all the same.

I picked Meldrick Taylor for this thread not because of his resume or accomplishments, but because I believe he has a unique set of abilities that would make it difficult for Floyd to win. Just the combination of ATG handspeed and a really bitchin' workrate makes it hard to win rounds against Taylor -- and we saw he could keep up that workrate under tremendous pressure and stress, absorbing much punishment versus Chavez yet still winning rounds.

Floyd would have to win the fight with his feet, turning Taylor, countering -- but can he effectively outscore Taylor while countering? With that handspeed. I dunno. I'd like to see it.

I really think Floyd would be an underdog here. Styles make fights.
These are all very good points. I've been reluctant to make a pick (although I lean toward Mayweather) because I think it's a very tight matchup.
A think a flip side to Taylor's handspeed and workrate was his tendency to square himself up, and "shoeshine" with the handspeed. This could present opportunities for Mayweather to get angles on him and counter.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #78
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Yes, better technician than the speedy Taylor.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #79
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Ha, pretty good scrap between Sweet Pea and Duranimal this was. Nostalgia trip.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #80
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

At his best Taylor was awesome but he liked to brawl when he didn't have to. Vs. Mayweather he could get away with brawling sometimes and not worry about the payback he'd receive... such in his fights vs. Chavez and Norris (a fast and quick, hard hitting JMW who is now in the HOF).

Taylor has a good chance.

Taylor looked good vs. Harold Brazier, Howard Davis Jr. (draw when Taylor was an up and comer), Primo Ramos x2, Buddy McGirt (KO12), Julio Ceser Chavez (even though he was stopped at the 2:58 mark of round 12), Aaron Davis.

He did not look good vs. Luis Garcia (SD) and Glenwood Brown (dropped twice and lost a close decision). After the Brown fight it was all down hill.
Hookie is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum