Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, England
Posts: 21,045
vCash: 842
Default Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

To continue my exploration of the great Roberto Duran, this time around I decided to watch his fight with Junior Middleweight champion, Davey Moore. Inexperienced and relatively easy to hit, Moore was still heavily favored due to size and Duran's recent performances being less than impressive. Very interesting that despite the fight taking place in effectively Moore's hometown, Duran actually had more support. The same thing happened to Moore's friend, Iran Barkley, in '89, when he faced off against the same man.

In any event, the fight was an absolute war for as long as it lasted, but not in the same vein as a Barrera vs. Morales or even a Hagler vs. Hearns. This was a relatively one sided affair, with Duran landing hard shots, and laughing off everything Moore seemed to land. When you consider Duran had started off at 135lbs, and Moore had pretty good power as a 154lbs fighter, this came as a big surprise to many people. I was shocked at how quickly Moore's face was busted up. After only three rounds, he looked like he had gone 12 rounds with a truck. His right eye was virtually closed.

Well, the majority of critics before the fight felt Moore would win the fight, and the referee gave Moore every opportunity to prove them right. He should have stopped the fight way before he did, as Moore was taking horrendous punishment on the ropes, and Duran seemed to be enjoying every minute of the brutality. Whether Moore's inexperience was a factor, or Duran just hit too hard, it was evident that Duran was back! The referee waved it off mercifully, and Duran was now a three weight world champion.

I think Duran, among other things, showed he was a tremendous combination puncher in this fight. He'd mix it up to body and head, and Moore was really struggling. He'd come back with single shots on occasion, but Duran, with his amazing punch resistance, literally laughed them off at one point in the fight. I felt sorry for Moore, he had to much heart to give up, but Duran was beating the living shit into him for the last 2-3 rounds. Not an outrageously overdue stoppage, but the number one priority is the safety of the fighter - and it was apparent way before the stoppage that Moore was finished. Done.

It was interesting because the version I watched the telecast ended with two announcers looking back on the fight. It must have been aired before the Barkley fight because they were explaining how, "This was to be the last time in the sun light for Duran, as he'd go on to lose to Hagler and Hearns". I think it aired late 80s, sometime before 89 because Al Bernstein looked relatively young. Duran would continue to defy the odds.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Addie; 10-05-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Addie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Based Land
Posts: 9,060
vCash: 75
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
To continue my exploration of the great Roberto Duran, this time around I decided to watch his fight with Junior Middleweight champion, Davey Moore. Inexperienced and relatively easy to hit, Moore was still heavily favored due to size and Duran's recent performances being less than impressive. Very interesting that despite the fight taking place in effectively Moore's hometown, Duran actually had more support. The same thing happened to Moore's friend, Iran Barkley, in '89, when he faced off against the same man.

In any event, the fight was an absolute war for as long as it lasted, but not in the same vein as a Barrera vs. Morales or even a Hagler vs. Hearns. This was a relatively one sided affair, with Duran landing hard shots, and laughing off everything Moore seemed to land. When you consider Duran had started off at 135lbs, and Moore had pretty good power as a 154lbs fighter, this came as a big surprise to many people. I was shocked at how quickly Moore's face was busted up. After only three rounds, he looked like he had gone 12 rounds with a truck. His right eye was virtually closed.

Well, the majority of critics before the fight felt Moore would win the fight, and the referee gave Moore every opportunity to prove them right. He should have stopped the fight way before he did, as Moore was taking horrendous punishment on the ropes, and Duran seemed to be enjoying every minute of the brutality. Whether Moore's inexperience was a factor, or Duran just hit too hard, it was evident that Duran was back! The referee waved it off mercifully, and Duran was now a three weight world champion.

I think Duran, among other things, showed he was a tremendous combination puncher in this fight. He'd mix it up to body and head, and Moore was really struggling. He'd come back with single shots on occasion, but Duran, with his amazing punch resistance, literally laughed them off at one point in the fight. I felt sorry for Moore, he had to much heart to give up, but Duran was beating the living shit into him for the last 2-3 rounds. Not an outrageously overdue stoppage, but the number one priority is the safety of the fighter - and it was apparent way before the stoppage that Moore was finished. Done.

It was interesting because the version I watched the telecast ended with two announcers looking back on the fight. It must have been aired before the Barkley fight because they were explaining how, "This was to be the last time in the sun light for Duran, as he'd go on to lose to Hagler and Hearns". I think it aired late 80s, sometime before 89 because Al Bernstein looked relatively young. Duran would continue to defy the odds.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Duran was a beast in this fight. Moore was never the same after the beating he took, and ended up getting killed when a car rolled over him in his driveway. Sad.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Duran looked impressive, although he thumbed Moore in the eye in round 1. That's largely why Duran won as convincingly as he did. Davey was practically a sitting duck after it.

It would've probably been a competitive fight in which Duran won by hard-fought decision, much like the Barkley fight.

Last edited by laxpdx; 10-05-2009 at 08:46 AM.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,623
vCash: 75
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

It's very enjoyable to read your 'trip reports' through the history of boxing. It's like recommending a good film to a friend, and him coming back to tell you he likes it.

That said, the reason Moore's eye got so bad so quickly is because Duran stuck his thumb in there. Never forget for all his bravery and grit that there's a sadistic, mean side to that same coin -- Duran, in most of his fights, fouled in subtle ways.

I like this fight because it's a demolition based on craft -- speed, youth, power, they're all for nothing if the gap in skill is too large. The last two rounds are a disaster and Moore's corner should have saved him -- they knew who he was fighting and he was not going to suddenly slow down. Botched job by the referee as well. Disgraceful.
Shake is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
JudgeDredd
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,358
vCash: 3424
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Very sad story when he died
JudgeDredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,440
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

The referee was a disgrace in this fight ,as was Moore's corner.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: March for Revenge
Posts: 6,417
vCash: 2137
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The referee was a disgrace in this fight ,as was Moore's corner.
Yep. Not a fight I like to watch.
fists of fury is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #8
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The referee was a disgrace in this fight ,as was Moore's corner.

Agreed...Davey took to much of a beating there.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

The viciousness of the beating was a tad overrated, it was more an outclassing than a beatdown... but still a decent beating no doubt.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,147
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
To continue my exploration of the great Roberto Duran, this time around I decided to watch his fight with Junior Middleweight champion, Davey Moore. Inexperienced and relatively easy to hit, Moore was still heavily favored due to size and Duran's recent performances being less than impressive. Very interesting that despite the fight taking place in effectively Moore's hometown, Duran actually had more support. The same thing happened to Moore's friend, Iran Barkley, in '89, when he faced off against the same man.

In any event, the fight was an absolute war for as long as it lasted, but not in the same vein as a Barrera vs. Morales or even a Hagler vs. Hearns. This was a relatively one sided affair, with Duran landing hard shots, and laughing off everything Moore seemed to land. When you consider Duran had started off at 135lbs, and Moore had pretty good power as a 154lbs fighter, this came as a big surprise to many people. I was shocked at how quickly Moore's face was busted up. After only three rounds, he looked like he had gone 12 rounds with a truck. His right eye was virtually closed.

Well, the majority of critics before the fight felt Moore would win the fight, and the referee gave Moore every opportunity to prove them right. He should have stopped the fight way before he did, as Moore was taking horrendous punishment on the ropes, and Duran seemed to be enjoying every minute of the brutality. Whether Moore's inexperience was a factor, or Duran just hit too hard, it was evident that Duran was back! The referee waved it off mercifully, and Duran was now a three weight world champion.

I think Duran, among other things, showed he was a tremendous combination puncher in this fight. He'd mix it up to body and head, and Moore was really struggling. He'd come back with single shots on occasion, but Duran, with his amazing punch resistance, literally laughed them off at one point in the fight. I felt sorry for Moore, he had to much heart to give up, but Duran was beating the living shit into him for the last 2-3 rounds. Not an outrageously overdue stoppage, but the number one priority is the safety of the fighter - and it was apparent way before the stoppage that Moore was finished. Done.

It was interesting because the version I watched the telecast ended with two announcers looking back on the fight. It must have been aired before the Barkley fight because they were explaining how, "This was to be the last time in the sun light for Duran, as he'd go on to lose to Hagler and Hearns". I think it aired late 80s, sometime before 89 because Al Bernstein looked relatively young. Duran would continue to defy the odds.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It's true Duran had been listless in recent performances. But just prior to the Moore bout. Duran was in a thrilling war with Pipino Cuevas in Los Angeles. That fight got the fire burning in Duran once again.
la-califa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,803
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Many of the inside tactics Duran used in this one were not acquired through in ring experience or boxing instruction, but from his boyhood past as a street fighter. Much of his broad appeal stems from the fact that he knows things about hand to hand combat which no amount of training could possibly teach. Perhaps more than any other major win of his career, this is the performance which tells people that this is the guy you want watching your back in a barroom brawl.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,630
vCash: 166
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
The viciousness of the beating was a tad overrated, it was more an outclassing than a beatdown... but still a decent beating no doubt.

You think?

I reckon it gets pretty damn brutal towards the end there...Moore would have been pissing blood for days..You could see Moore's trainer after the fight, (Washington?) the guy who looks like Daryl of the U.S office, he was in tears in the corner.
Apparently Moore's GF and Mother had to be helped from the arena because they feinted several times.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 18,259
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The referee was a disgrace in this fight ,as was Moore's corner.
The NYSAC was disgraceful this night.

Terrible ref job in this bout, failure to properly inspect the gloves and corner of Luis Resto on the undercard.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #14
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13,401
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
The viciousness of the beating was a tad overrated, it was more an outclassing than a beatdown... but still a decent beating no doubt.
I disagree, I think it was a severe beatdown over the last two or three rounds.

Much like Duran v deJesus III, the referee lets the fight go on too long when it's patently obvious that there it would take a pack of wild horses to back Duran off.

Leaving the referee aside, this is one of my favourite Duran fights. Yet again, he is the smaller, older man who seems to be physically outgunned in every way. Many people don't put Duran in the same bracket as flashier fighters like Mayweather, Jones Jr, SRL etc in terms of skills because they view him as one-dimensional whereas a 'skilled' fighter is more of a boxer. Can someone please explain to me how you can continually win fights against bigger, younger, stronger men if you do not possess elite boxing skills??

Just saying Duran is 'tough' is silly, Arturo Gatti was tough as nails, as was Wayne McCullough. Duran had elite skills.
Popkins is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #15
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roberto Duran vs Davey Moore

Anyone thinkning Duran was just a "bawler" or defenseless slugger is one of the first things i look for to gauge their technical understanding of the sport.

sadly you see it all the time on General.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013