Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #31
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: Sugar Ray Leonard vs Roberto Duran

Probably the best fight Ive seen...Two of the best fighters I have ever witnessed on film, in their prime going at it for the full 15.

Not just action packed but a full array of skills and technical ability on display.

Both guys showed their greatness that night IMO. A young Leonard looked beaten and frustrated but came back so strong and was always with Roberto even in the rounds Duran won convincingly.

Leonard pushed it close with his late rally...But that was Duran's fight, quite clearly.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #32
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I think Duran's speed and skill surprised Ray. Duran wins all the outside exchanges early on and Leonard has to go close to survive.

Leonard holds for dear life in round 2. Does nothing of any consequence but just holds and holds. Shouldn't that be a 10-8 round????
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #33
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

a good fight between a very good welterweight and a lightweight jumping two divisions. Duran really won this fight in the second when he rang Leonard's bell. Many rounds were close but my impression was Duran got the better of it early with leonard taking some of the middle rounds and then Duran taking the late rounds. In my opinion, this was Leonard's version of Ali-Frazier one in which he loses then comes back for the rematch and wins it in script like fashion and heads for even bigger fights ahead.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #34
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
When i first saw the Duran-Leonard fight i tought it was nothing special i tought it had too much holding and that they spend too much time on the ropes,but after a while i saw it again and saw all the little things they were doing in there and the skill that was involved in it and now its on my top 5 fights ever.

btw i think Leonard-Hearns is very overrated.
Massively overrated, good fight, nothing more, it wouldnt even get a mention if it wasnt 2 legends in their prime IMHO.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #35
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
When i first saw the Duran-Leonard fight i tought it was nothing special i tought it had too much holding and that they spend too much time on the ropes,but after a while i saw it again and saw all the little things they were doing in there and the skill that was involved in it and now its on my top 5 fights ever.

btw i think Leonard-Hearns is very overrated.

I too agree with your assessment. Too much holding, in fact, more holding than scoring.

and yes, Hearns Leonard 1 is very overrated. I'd rather watch Mugabi Green anyday
Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

[quote=duranimal;5091881]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
I'm increasingly aware of the notion that my own taste differs a bit from most Classic members. This is my favorite fight of all-time, and I particularly enjoy the early rounds. In round 1, Duran is troubled so much by Leonard's ridiculous speed that he's hardly in the fight. He tries several different means of approach, which mostly fail, and you can see he's leery of the handspeed as well.

I've watched this fight upwards of a dozen times. Seeing how Duran copes and ultimately conquers a speed deficit and goes from seeming considerably slower to almost equally fast is pure boxing. He doesn't actually get faster, of course, but the timing, the feinting, the slipping, angles, in-and-out of range way of positioning the feet, changing the tempo whenever Leonard is near the ropes -- just makes it seem they are on equal footing.

Every time I watch this fight, I see new things. There's just so much in it.[/quote]

.................................................................................................... .......................

Same here, watched plenty of times over the years & had it by 1point either way & the draw, reason being as i'am a duran fan i've proberbly always over compensated for the opponant so as too not let natural bias play a part, sort of self censureship as it'll be like marking yer own driving test, best intentions but not the best way.

I t must be 10 yr's ago he last time i gave myself time to watch it, but watched it again 3 weeks ago & this time round i had the volume down & head phones on with a background track of various crown noises which my son had mixed, unbelievable diff as too how i followed the fight, i was hard pushed too give Leonard 3 clear rounds.

It's like the mist clearing after you've cut out the so called commentary, I've heard 2 yank versions, Bernstien & Cossel + Gutheridge from the UK who was extreamly pro-Leonard. But i'am telling yer now if you can cut out the commentary you'll really see the guts of this battle, it was exhausting, i was unwittingly holding my breath, the skill was phenom.

Has anyone tried it like that yet?? i never realised how much commentary can interfere with yer decision making on a sub-concious level, all rounds were tight but it just looked too me that duran seemed too suck something up whenever Leonard tried to rally & it was Duran who subtly dictated the way this battle panned out, as yer said, his faints & distance judgement were sublime, the way he got leonard to commit & then jumped him, you could see the stress on Leonards face as if too say "****" i've underestimated this ****er, what do i do now!

I presume most of you lot have had the bernstien commentary, if not WHO.
I own the fight with Ferdie Pacheco & some other cunt commentating, Pacheco is very pro-Leonard, its annoying.

Ps. I always watch close fights with no sound, have done for yrs, it makes a big difference, you actually do see what happens better.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #37
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=Bill Butcher;5095868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post

I own the fight with Ferdie Pacheco & some other cunt commentating, Pacheco is ver pro-Leonard, its annoying.

Ps. I always watch close fights with no sound, have done for yrs, it makes a big difference, you actually do see what happens better.
Bill. it's none of my business. I'm just curious okay? Weren't you a big leonard fan youself?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #38
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
a good fight between a very good welterweight and a lightweight jumping two divisions. Duran really won this fight in the second when he rang Leonard's bell. Many rounds were close but my impression was Duran got the better of it early with leonard taking some of the middle rounds and then Duran taking the late rounds. In my opinion, this was Leonard's version of Ali-Frazier one in which he loses then comes back for the rematch and wins it in script like fashion and heads for even bigger fights ahead.
Leonard took the late rounds.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #39
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post

And Duran had been at welter for 2 years.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #40
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Correct.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #41
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

[quote=redrooster;5095889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post

Bill. it's none of my business. I'm just curious okay? Weren't you a big leonard fan youself?
He still is one of my fav`s as is Duran, I like all the fab 4 actually but Pacheco was crediting Leonard`s toughness n guts n shit when Duran was doing the scoring, he should have been praising the skills of Duran.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #42
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
So goes the myth but all you see coming from Ray is mostly a lot of flailing, most of which misses or glances off some body part. That's why Roberto won most the late rounds too
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #43
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Whats your scorecard red?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #44
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
So goes the myth but all you see coming from Ray is mostly a lot of flailing, most of which misses or glances off some body part. That's why Roberto won most the late rounds too
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #45
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Even though 147 clearly wasnt his best weight, I can tell you one thing: he was tons better than that Coors beer spokesman Palomino. In fact, both Roberto and Ray were at least two levels above him, Benitez one level above

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum