Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Will we one day reminisce?

I had a rather frightening but probably realistic thought that crossed my mind today. For some of us who are currently in our 20's, 30's and 40's, will we one day look back and talk about how great the 2000's were? That the Klitschko brothers were like a dynamic duo, and that men like Chagaev, Maskaev, Haye, Valuev, Povetkin, CHambers, Ruiz and Toney were a steller bunch of challengers?

The first thought that comes to most of your minds is " hell no. " Never!!!

But think about this, when the great Jack Dempsey retired, the fans were not exactly thrilled with the new crop of heavys. In fact, most of the champions and contenders of the 1930's were heavily criticized as being without talent. Nat Fleischer, founder and editor of Ring Magazine was one of their harshest crtics. Today, we view men like Schmeling, Baer and Carnera as real classic fighters, and we even had a box office hit movie come out about the life of Jim Braddock in the 2000's.

What say you?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
time lost
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Will we one day reminisce?

And this thread has ben sponsored my pampers!!
time lost is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

I dont think anyone will look back on the period with any fondness but the Klitschko brothers will get more respect as the decades wear on. Apart from that the last decade has been a decent one for boxing its only the last couple of years been a bit baron of talent.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Anythings possible. I remember how everyone trashed the heavys of the 80s as out of shape and fatOUtside of Holmes. Although i liked some of those guys,and now it would be refreshing to see some of those 80s american Heavys like pinklon,WItherspoon,page and slick boxing tony tubbs school todays heavys, although vitali would beat all these guys (except Holmes) id make wlad even money against pinklon and Witherspoon. As for heavys you might have a point. Although the top fighters back then we knew were great and I think most knowledgable fans know that Oscar,may,pacl,jones,Hopk,tito,barr,morales etc are greats but there status will go up even further 20 years from now.When they will be considered legends
anarci is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Castillo-Corrales 1
Ward-Gatti 1
Morales-Barrera 1

Pretty much guarantee I will look back on this era fondly.

Edit: I didnt really read closely enough...I have not been a fan of the heavyweights since I followed boxing. Just never really interested me.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think the promoters have ruined the HW division mostly. With the move of talent and interest to Europe, the consolidations of power have been reluctant to pitch the best against the best until like Chagaev, one of these is on the way down. I still believe the talent is there but that matches are not being made in a timely fashion.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
The Wanderer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 396

When you consider that pretty much every division from Featherweight to Welter has had at least a couple of "golden years" during the last decade or so, and that we're living in a time when, what, 4 of the top 5 pound for pound guys are fighting within a weight class or two of each other, I think it will be remembered, and probably have some of those eternal "What if?" questions that classic fight fans always love.

The heavyweight division, on the other hand, will not fare well. The Klitschkos will get a lot of praise but I think they will eternally have an asterisk next to their names because of the era. And rightfully so from what I've seen so far.
The Wanderer is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #8
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

We probably will, at least in the case of certain fighters. I think it really depends on the state boxing is in at the time.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
djm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The K-bros will be looked at as very good (great?) fighters that didn't really get to prove themselves because of their era. I don't think the era (2000 on) will ever be looked at fondly - very few fighters built decent resumes.

Still some hope for Wlad's resume, but recent matchmaking history doesn't bode well for it.
djm is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
KTFO

vCash:

Fags will still question Vitali's chin and his performance vs Lennox, that's fo sho.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

We will reminisce for some fighters most definitely, no doubt in my mind at all. But not for the likes of Chagaev, he'll just be deemed a contender but he won't be getting picked over any obvious better fighters in forums like this one. Ruiz will get more respect, the level of the opposite that was piled upon him throughout his career was despicable in my opinion.

The era in terms of lower divisions will be remembered fondly, if people doubt this then let's revisit this thread in 2029, i challenge you!

Not to say the era is better than any other in particular, but it's not bad by a long shot.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Nostalgia can influence us,but I doubt if it will in this case. It's been a long time since the 80's for example,and when we think of the heavyweights of that decade,it's only Holmes and Tyson that stand out. The 70's were a hard act to follow in that division,but even so apart from the above mentioned,the rest of the division was a disappointment in that time. The Klitschko bros will be remembered as the best of a bad lot.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #13
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

marciano is popular on the classic forum but i've read reports of his fights saying how clumsy he was etc etc.in a few years tysons late career losses will be forgotten and he'll be the best of all time.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #14
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In the fullness of time perhaps. Povetkin and Chambers, who should be the third and fourth ranked heavyweights now, have yet to achieve anything worthy of true adulation. Give them enough and they might be remembered alongside the Klitschko brothers. I give them the best chance. The rest is the rest.

The lot of the 30's, pertaining to those after Tunney but before Louis, were also quite drab but 4 were able to stand out; Schmeling, Sharkey, Carnera, and Baer, while none necessarily superior to either Klitschko, still operated on parallel grounds at least, higher than where the stragglers from this era.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

We're in a cracking era for boxing, heavyweights are shit though, nobody is going to be ranting about how good Valuev and Ruiz were.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum