Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #16
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: 2003 Kirk Johnson v 1991 Razor Ruddock

You'd think no one had ever seen a prime Johnson in action.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #17
Quitali Bitchko
The Punisher
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post
The fact that Tyson took Ruddock's best bombs for 2 fights, and smiled at Razor all the way through tells you how good Tyson's chin was.
Tell that to that troll Chris ****** who keeps reminding people how bad Tysons chin is at every chance he gets.
Quitali Bitchko is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quitali Bitchko View Post
Tell that to that troll Chris ****** who keeps reminding people how bad Tysons chin is at every chance he gets.
Tyson's chin was very good, but I wouldn't say Ruddock landed a whole lot of punches against Tyson. Razor left his boxing skills in the dressing both times against Tyson with help from Richard Steele, who stopped the first one too early. In the 7th round, Ruddock was backing up but it's not as if he was in any real danger.

Ruddock dissapointed many by neglecting the very tool that earned him his nickname. He should have used the jab overtime to set up right hands followed by his trademark left-hook-uppercut smash. Too much loading up on the one punch was his downfall, also against Lennox Lewis because he barely threw any jabs in that fight and he held his hands lower than normal. I think he was too confident against Lennox, considering the fact that he fought two fights against a primer, fresher Tyson.

Razor KO 1 vs the pathetically fat Kirk Johnson that wasted his opportunity against Klitschko.

Razor KO 7 vs the prime Kirk Johnson that kept himself in decent shape for a while.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #19
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

If we look at Johnson of the Vitali fight he does not look to have a chance but Johnson had some good performances, Oleg Maskaev clean KO and he had decent hand speed and power. Rudduck vs Dokes was a good showing but how many bad fights did Rudduck have...Morirson, Lewis, Jaco, Tyson.... I would favor Rudduck but this is no sure bet IMO, depending on which fighter showed up
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffay View Post
Ruddock KO in 4
thats how i got it maybe even quicker.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #21
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
If we look at Johnson of the Vitali fight he does not look to have a chance but Johnson had some good performances, Oleg Maskaev clean KO and he had decent hand speed and power. Rudduck vs Dokes was a good showing but how many bad fights did Rudduck have...Morirson, Lewis, Jaco, Tyson.... I would favor Rudduck but this is no sure bet IMO, depending on which fighter showed up
I thought Ruddock fought as good as he could against Tyson and was competetive with a still very good Tyson. With Ruddock yey he went out with a WImper but Lewis was pumped for his first title shot. AS for Morrison,Ruddock was already he faded. He would have had Morrison out of there within 3 rounds if he wasnt.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Kirk Johnson was probably a more complete fighter than Ruddock. Solid defense and footwork, very fast hands, and an awesome left.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzU0gNoiQfU&feature=related[/ame]

Even overweight in 2003, he still had some impressive tools.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdK8X6IwpYw[/ame]

Though crude, Ruddock was tough and had a great left uppercut. I see this as a closer fight than most, but I wouldn't bet hard earned money on either man..even against each other, I'm sure both would find someway to screw themselves over. Both turned in terrible disappointing performances when given their shot, getting destroyed early in alarmingly similar fashion.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 10-07-2009 at 07:58 AM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #23
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The fact that Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield knocked Tyson out shows how overrated Rudducks power was. He knocked out Dokes and that is pretty much it.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Chris Warren
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quitali just looking at your screen name shows me how much of a idiot you are. Well all Mike Tyson fans are usually idiots or cowards who beat on women. Which is why they are a fan of a cowardly, woman beating rapist.

David Jaco took Rudduck's best punches as well so apparently Jaco has a good chin right? Ignoring the other times Jack has beenk knocked out. How many heavyweights did Holyfield actually knockout? Not many but Tyson is onthat list.

Who in the hell did Ruddock knockout besides Dokes and Dokes wasnt that special to began with. Wait I know who Ruddock knocked out. Ken Lakusta, James Broad, James Smith. Wait I know Mike Rouse, yeah that really proves how great of a puncher Ruddock was and since Tyson didnt get knocked out by him then that means Tyson has the greatest chin in heavyweight history.

Since not being knocked out by Rudduck proves you have a great chin then you should add Oscar Holman to that list and Ricardo Peterson, Mike Weaver, Phil Brown who had a record of 7-20 and he drew with Ruddock, Bill Hollis 5-15, Author Hall. Hell even the "Glass chin" Tommy Morrison got up from his power and knocked out Ruddock.

Tyson's chin is shyt but either way Kirk Johnson was a bigger piece of shyt so Ruddock would beat him.
Chris Warren is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #25
Quitali Bitchko
The Punisher
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ****** View Post
Quitali just looking at your screen name shows me how much of a idiot you are. Well all Mike Tyson fans are usually idiots or cowards who beat on women. Which is why they are a fan of a cowardly, woman beating rapist..
Says the biggest KLIT hater on the board. Just looking at all your post shows what an idiot you are. A delusional man who is making a fool of himself everytime he posts his garbage. So Frank Bruno's power is overrated too right? Beacuse he gave Tyson his best. And Lennox Lewis must be an idiot then too beacuse he likes to remind the world every now and then how great Tysons chin is. But your just a blindfolded hating fool. I bet your related to that skanky lying bitch Desire Washington.
Oh and its obvious you havent seen any boxing fight in full, just the highlight reels :
Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #26
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Youtube and boxrec takes a fella a long ways...
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #27
Quitali Bitchko
The Punisher
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Youtube and boxrec takes a fella a long ways...
Indeed
Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #28
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ****** View Post
The fact that Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield knocked Tyson out shows how overrated Rudducks power was. He knocked out Dokes and that is pretty much it.
Ruddock's power was far from overrated. His opponents will tell you that, especially Tyson, who said Razor's left-hook-uppercut was like a mules kick, and one of the hardest punches he's ever felt to this day.

If you know the history between Tyson and Ruddock, then you'll know that they were signed to fight each other in Edmonton, November 1989. The boxing world doesn't need a reminder of what happened next, but just in case you forgot, Tyson backed out of that fight due to some mysterious chest illness and lost the title to Buster Douglas less than 3 months later.

Did he avoid Ruddock? Most definitely, because most experts that I remember speaking to at the time said Tyson would have faced his toughest challenge to that point and the fight wouldn't be a walk in the park with Ruddock.

Bowe, Holyfield, Tyson and others found reasons not to get into the ring with Ruddock at that time.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #29
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

People need to stop analyzing fighters like their video games or something and look at the actual science of the situation. Chin this and chin that. Ruddock had a very strong left hand to begin with, but his actual Razor was clearly a very unorthodox punch; difficult to land at the right angle with the right leverage but terribly effective when it does. The famous Dokes highlight was just everything coming together perfectly and it made a lot of fighters at the time nervous. However, Tyson’s compact crouching stance made it very difficult for Ruddock to land with that same kind of precision and power in the rare events he did time him right. Not known for his durability and strong legs, Morrison was able take quite a few lefts from Ruddock for the same reason. Ruddock as is was a very flawed fighter; he often abandoned his jab, winged punches sloppily, and was prone to dropping his hands and staring into space for some reason as Tyson in the rematch and more effectively Lewis exposed. Guy was tough though and very dangerous. Iron Mike was horribly disappointing agianst him though, I feel Ruddock was often there for the taking but Mike was really lethragic, sloppy, and off his game...in the rematch especially. As a Tyson fan, I certianly wouldn't use this fight as an example of his strengths other than that he can win convincingly on a bad night. .

Last edited by The Mongoose; 10-07-2009 at 04:21 PM.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #30
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
People need to stop analyzing fighters like their video games or something and look at the actual science of the situation. Chin this and chin that. Ruddock had a very strong left hand to begin with, but his actual Razor was clearly a very unorthodox punch; difficult to land at the right angle with the right leverage but terribly effective when it does. The famous Dokes highlight was just everything coming together perfectly and it made a lot of fighters at the time nervous. However, Tysonís compact crouching stance made it very difficult for Ruddock to land with that same kind of precision and power in the rare events he did time him right. Not known for his durability and strong legs, Morrison was able take quite a few lefts from Ruddock for the same reason. Ruddock as is was a very flawed fighter; he often abandoned his jab, winged punches sloppily, and was prone to dropping his hands and staring into space for some reason as Tyson in the rematch and more effectively Lewis exposed. Guy was tough though and very dangerous. Iron Mike was horribly disappointing agianst him though, I feel Ruddock was often there for the taking but Mike was really lethragic, sloppy, and off his game...in the rematch especially. As a Tyson fan, I certianly wouldn't use this fight as an example of his strengths other than that he can win convincingly on a bad night. .
Nice Post Mongoose.

Ruddock definitely had his moments in the ring and it's unfortunate that he didn't get to fight Tyson when they were first signed to fight in November 1989. People also forget the man had chronic asthma problems and he had an operation to reverse a vasectomy procedure right before his challenge of Tommy Morrison.
round15 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum