Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sean O' Grady Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Has anyone ever reproduced that series on DVD?
I have a dvd set of their best knockouts. Good stuff. You can probably buy it on ebay
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 21502

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Sean O'Grady? A highly touted, undefeated, contender with a huge KO% -- took a fight with the supposedly "shot" Little Red, and got beat into submission in 4 rounds!
Unfortunately it seems that theres no footage of that fight.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Was he any better then, say another down to earth, blue collar white fighter of the late 70's and 80's like Bobby Czyz?

What did Sean have going for him?
I'd say he was probably at least as good as someone like Czyz.

He was very tall and lanky for his weight, but generally more of a slugger than a boxer. He was tough, relentless, and could bang with both hands. He was there to be hit though, and as his career progressed he developed into a bad bleeder.

He was managed by his father. He had a shitload of fights very early in his career at a very young age (late teens and early 20s), often fighting once or twice a week in old school style, mostly against clubfighters. Eventually he took his first real step up against future FW champ Danny Lopez. Lopez blasted him out in about 5 rounds. After that, he returned to the clubfight circuit for another round of padding his record, and eventually re-emerged with a record of something like 50-1 or 60-1, while still at a very young age. He got his first title shot against Jim Watt in Scotland, and appeared to be winning the fight most of the way until head clashes opened a horrific gash on his face. Eventually the fight was stopped and O'Grady lost it on a TKO. Later, he got another title shot against Hilmer Kenty, who was thought to be a pretty good fighter at the time, and he battled his way to an exciting decision win. Not long after that, he was stripped of his title (I forget why), but his father then invented a sanctioning body called the "WAA", which gave O'Grady a title. No one really gave the WAA any credence, but they still recognized O'Grady as one of the top guys in the division and the rightful holder of the title he had been stripped of. Any claim he had to the title was lost when he was shockingly blasted out in 2 rounds by Andy Ganigan, in a fight whose outcome and circumstances somewhat mirrored Wlad Klitschko's loss to Corrie Sanders. O'Grady basically faded away after that and retired not too long afterward. Ganigan's win earned him a big money fight with Arguello (much as Sanders got a shot at Vitali off of his win over Wlad) and he was KO'd in a war. After that, the "WAA" title mysteriously vanished.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Here's a picture of O'Grady's face against Jim Watt:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Watt was bleeding pretty bad himself though. This fight was just a total bloodbath all-around.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #20
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Here's O'Grady's defining win against Kenty:

BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Here's O'Grady against Shig Fukuyama, a dangerous fringe contender of the '70s:

BORKED
BORKED

Here's his loss to Ganigan:

BORKED

Here's another clip of him in action:

BORKED
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #22
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

O'Grady was a very good Lightweight in an era of some great lightweights.

O'Grady was moving up from bantamweight to fight Featherweight Danny Lopez.
Lopez had had much more solid pro fights, was coming into his prime, and had fought
guys like Ruben Olivares, Chucho Castillo, and Bobby Chacon.

Plus it was fought in LA, Lopez's back yard.

Lopez wins the Featherweight title 2 fights later.

O'Grady's corner stopped the fight after 4 rounds because a young Sean was in over his head and they didn't want to ruin him as a fighter.

Sean was just 17 years old when he fought Little Red who was 23 years old.

Also, I don't think Sean had many amateur fights.....his Dad Pat "snuck" him into the pro ranks at a very young age.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Sugar Ray Robinson apparently thought highly of O'Grady. He was quoted as saying that Sean "fought like a black"..and was impressed by Sean when he saw him fight. Another tv commentator, likened him to a "small Carlos Monzon" in the way he beat Shig Fukuyama, when being badly cut himself, stayed calm and cool before dispatching the Japanese.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 AM   #24
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

O'Grady wasn't a bad fighter at all, but was screwed up and disadvantaged by being managed by his fruitcake father.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

O'Grady learned his trade beating up stiffs on the Oklahoma clubfight circuit. Grossly overmatched against Lopez at a tender age, he learned enough and was ready for Watt. Against Watt, he fought passively through about 7 rounds with Watt well ahead. About the 8th or 9th Sean turned Tiger and began grilling Watt, opening 3 cuts in the process and having the Scot in real distress. Believe me, this bout was going to end very soon. However, in the 10th Watt lunged in and put the nastiest vertical slice on O'Grady's forehead, which just cascaded in his eyes. He just moved around in the 11th and 12th, unhurt but unable to see and the ref simply stopped it apologetically. Against Kenty he beat him brutally and won the title. His #1 challenger that the WBA said he had to fight was Claude Noel, whom O'Grady would have taken out in about 6 rounds. But old Pat didn't want to be told what to do, formed his WAA, opted for the much tougher Andy Ganigan and Sean was never any good after that fight. Not unlike Cuevas after the Hearns KO or Tate after the Weaver KO, cerebrally, it just wasn't there anymore. O'Grady even penned an article for one of the mags at the time called, "Suddenly, I couldn't take a punch anymore". Prior to that, Sean O'Grady would have fit right in with the guns at the time. He had alot of fights but wasn't used up since his early career opposition was a bit soft. I would have loved to seen an O'Grady-Arguello or Mancini fight.

Scartissue
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Great post, scartissue. Thank you.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #27
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

O'Grady was a good fighter, he got the early build up but his father was controlling and hurt shaun more then helped him later on....O'Grady also had a problem with Cuts, other than that he could box well and had a nice punch also showed a lot of heart.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #28
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP

vCash: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
O'Grady wasn't a bad fighter at all, but was screwed up and disadvantaged by being managed by his fruitcake father.
True
booradley is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #29
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sean was a good fighter, and a great commentator.Probably could have given Arguello as good of a fight as Mancini did.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Thatīs a nice bump Thinblack.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum