Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Nigel Benn v Chris Eubank 3 ?

Their second figt at Old Trafford ended with a much disputed draw. I made Benn the winner,just. I do n't think it was a robbery,though. It was close enough for arguement. Supposing that they went at it for a third time in early/middle 1994. Who would win. Tough one to call. 'll stick my neck out and say Nigel Benn. My reasoning is based on Benn's dislike of Eubank,and being riled at the second fight's result. It would still be close,but with slightly more daylight than previously.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default Re: Nigel Benn v Chris Eubank 3 ?

benn ud
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

By the second fight most people realised that stopping Eubank was a highly unlikely event. Once Benn accepted this, and tailored a fight plan accordingly, his chances of victory were always going to be enhanced. Of course, he'd still have to stick to the plan and it would always be possible that Eubank stops Benn.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #4
tony mush
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2863

benn
tony mush is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

I believe Benn would win, he was a more saavy fighter after his losses to Eubank and Watson, Benn improved whilst Eubank seemed to go backwards to me, mentally and physically.

He had a good win over Rocchigiani but i think Eubank was on his way down at that point, he should of dropped a decision to Dan Schommer.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

I think Eubank gets overrated because of his one win over Nigel Benn. His first fight with Michael Watson was very close but he was being beaten badly in the second fight, winning only via a miracle punch which won him the bout. Lets look at Eubank's other results in big matchups. Eubank holds wins over world champions Nigel Benn, Thulani Malinga, Lindell Holmes and Graciano Rocchigiani whilst losing twice to Steve Collins and Carl Thompson and being defeated by Joe Calzaghe. Hardly enough to set the world alight. I have no doubt Eubank had talent but in my eyes he didnt make the most of it. He made his record mostly on bums and got controversial decisions against mediocre opponents.

Benn meanwhile faced off against and beat very good opposition, the Benn who beat McClellan dominates Eubank in my opinion. Eubank lost his heart against Watson and that showed in the second fight between Benn and Eubank which Benn edged in my view. Benn by UD.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I think Eubank gets overrated because of his one win over Nigel Benn. His first fight with Michael Watson was very close but he was being beaten badly in the second fight, winning only via a miracle punch which won him the bout. Lets look at Eubank's other results in big matchups. Eubank holds wins over world champions Nigel Benn, Thulani Malinga, Lindell Holmes and Graciano Rocchigiani whilst losing twice to Steve Collins and Carl Thompson and being defeated by Joe Calzaghe. Hardly enough to set the world alight. I have no doubt Eubank had talent but in my eyes he didnt make the most of it. He made his record mostly on bums and got controversial decisions against mediocre opponents.

Benn meanwhile faced off against and beat very good opposition, the Benn who beat McClellan dominates Eubank in my opinion. Eubank lost his heart against Watson and that showed in the second fight between Benn and Eubank which Benn edged in my view. Benn by UD.

I dont think he was an over fighter but a lot of what you say is true and valid.

Graham was more talented than both of them, Graham just happened to fight two of the most skilled fighters of his generation in Kalambay, McCallum. McCallum & Kalambay would of given Eubank a Boxing lesson imo.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooners!! View Post
I dont think he was an over fighter but a lot of what you say is true and valid.

Graham was more talented than both of them, Graham just happened to fight two of the most skilled fighters of his generation in Kalambay, McCallum. McCallum & Kalambay would of given Eubank a Boxing lesson imo.
Agreed. This was a terrific time for the middleweight division that is often overlooked. More of the fighters from that era should have faced off against each other so we know where we stand, sadly we can only guess how these bouts would have gone.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 04:22 AM   #9
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Didn't they try hyping that clash of the titans special as a round 3 of sorts? Those 2 sure are competitive with each other and probably would be at a game of checkers as well. Loser wants to know when the rematch is.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Es***Boy I think you are underrating WATSON. The fact that he pushed Eubank so close is not a bad thing at all, he was a very good boxer-puncher and above European class IMO, the fact Eubank turned it around so dramatically in their 2nd fight is a display of his power and fortitude.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Es***Boy I think you are underrating WATSON. The fact that he pushed Eubank so close is not a bad thing at all, he was a very good boxer-puncher and above European class IMO, the fact Eubank turned it around so dramatically in their 2nd fight is a display of his power and fortitude.
Im not saying its a bad thing, I think Watson was a better fighter than Benn or Eubank. I had the first fight between them a draw but if Watson's head hadnt hit the bottom rope he would have been world champ and would have gone on to bigger and better things than Eubank achieved, of that I'm sure. So no I dont think I underrate Watson I just think hes extremely unlucky.
essexboy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum