Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Hector Camacho what might have been.

Speed in many ways is power, when said fast fighter properly puts leverage onto those blazingly fast shots. Couple that speed letting you land the most dangerous kinds of punches, ones they never see coming... Well, sheer power isn't such a glaring issue.

Ali was said to be unable to "crack a egg" with his punches by Bob Foster, and obviously wasn't some devastating KO artist.

But when Ali sat down on those straight rights, look at what he did to the iron chinned George Foreman, or how he wore down the equally tough Oscar Bonavena.

You want a similar comparison with Camacho, look at him blitzing the iron chinned Limon. Arcel commentated that fight if I'm remembering correctly and he made the exact same point about Limon being hit with volleys of punches he never saw coming.

And Camacho certainly had enough power even up at MW to stop an old and faded Leonard, when Camacho almost as old and faded himself.

Consider that Leonard has 4 inches on Camacho height wise, and MW was the HIGHEST weight Camacho ever fought, he fought as low as super featherweight. How can you say he'd be "unpowered as he moved up in weight" when he showed power at the highest weight he ever fought at?
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #17
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Speed in many ways is power, when said fast fighter properly puts leverage onto those blazingly fast shots. Couple that speed letting you land the most dangerous kinds of punches, ones they never see coming... Well, sheer power isn't such a glaring issue.

Ali was said to be unable to "crack a egg" with his punches by Bob Foster, and obviously wasn't some devastating KO artist.

But when Ali sat down on those straight rights, look at what he did to the iron chinned George Foreman, or how he wore down the equally tough Oscar Bonavena.

You want a similar comparison with Camacho, look at him blitzing the iron chinned Limon. Arcel commentated that fight if I'm remembering correctly and he made the exact same point about Limon being hit with volleys of punches he never saw coming.

And Camacho certainly had enough power even up at MW to stop an old and faded Leonard, when Camacho almost as old and faded himself.

Consider that Leonard has 4 inches on Camacho height wise, and MW was the HIGHEST weight Camacho ever fought, he fought as low as super featherweight. How can you say he'd be "unpowered as he moved up in weight" when he showed power at the highest weight he ever fought at?
Speed isnt always power, and such is the case with Camacho. Forget about the Leonard fight. He was shot and just bull rushed by Camacho, he was in no condition to fight. Look at the prime fighters he faced as he moved up. He couldnt do anything to Chavez or Trinidad or Oscar to keep them off of him. He never sat down on his punches, and was always looking to move before, as, or after he punched. He just became more and more flat footed as he became fatter and lazier.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #18
KTFO

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelGonzal View Post
Hector Camacho is the greatest talent I have ever seen wasted in a boxing ring. He was so skilled and incredible that inspite of drug use lackadasical training and no real guidance he was able to accomplish what he did in a ring.

The saddest part is to think of what might have been.

In the words of David Chapelle 'Drugs ruined my life.'
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote] [Hector Camacho is the greatest talent I have ever seen wasted in a boxing ring. He was so skilled and incredible that inspite of drug use lackadasical training and no real guidance he was able to accomplish what he did in a ring.

The saddest part is to think of what might have been. /QUOTE]

Talented fighter but what separates him from fighters like Chavez, Whitaker, besides obvious inferiority in skill where Whitaker is concerned is...........he did not have it upstairs.

He had a mental block imo, he would never have lost to Haugen if he had kept on fighting, but he went into a shell in the last few rounds for no reason and stopped punching towards the end of that fight.

Against Chavez his negative instincts took over and he got a beating for his trouble.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #20
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1 View Post
After Rosario clocked him, was basically done for.Also, never fought Mayweather and Verderosa.
I watched that fight recently and it looked to me like Camacho won that fight. He was almost KO'ed in the 5th, but he came back and won a majortiy of the rest of the round's. He did become more cautious afterwards but he did have some performances like the fight against Pazienza and Haugan II where he was agressive.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #21
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Everyone always says Rosario was screwed... Whats the actual consensus on these boards?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #22
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Everyone always says Rosario was screwed... Whats the actual consensus on these boards?
I dont agree with these people. Edwin had two good rounds and that's about all. Maybe won 4 or 5 rounds but it wasnt enough. I think Edwin was perhaps the sentimental favorite and they really wanted him to win. You know how it is with underdogs.

But to go as far as saying Edwin ruined Hector's career, forget it. That's nothing more than a popular myth. Hector went on to another beautiful four years at the top. At the end of the decade was clearly not the same fighter. Edwin on the other hand only lasted another one year so you might say that Hector actually ruined Rosario's career.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I dont agree with these people. Edwin had two good rounds and that's about all. Maybe won 4 or 5 rounds but it wasnt enough. I think Edwin was perhaps the sentimental favorite and they really wanted him to win. You know how it is with underdogs.

But to go as far as saying Edwin ruined Hector's career, forget it. That's nothing more than a popular myth. Hector went on to another beautiful four years at the top. At the end of the decade was clearly not the same fighter. Edwin on the other hand only lasted another one year so you might say that Hector actually ruined Rosario's career.
I dont get the controversy either, i thought he won clearly and i cant stand the skirt wearing, back tracking, Elvis Presley.
gooners!! is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum