Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
standing 8countboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Protein Powder or Shake, plus other questions

I am currently molding a much needed diet and daily food plan together and have ran into some questions regarding me being lactose intolerant.

I am looking to start working out at least 3 times a week (from 0) and I'm looking at a daily caloric intake of 2000 calories (I'm 6'1 212lbs, 26 years old), I haven't really worked out in a while, so 3 days a week is a fine start for me to go to the gym, I will also do light cardio 5-6 days a week.

Anyways, I am looking to have about 5 small meals a day, but a lot of the snack options seem to be either lowfat milk or cottage cheese, both for protein, and this comes up quite often with the plan I'm working with and amounts to 400 calories, give or take. So, I am looking for a way to add protein and 400 calories in a relatively healthy way and was wondering about protein shakes/powder.

Again the same issues come up with protein shakes and being lactose intolerant, but I've researched and have seen there are lactose free options, and there are vegetable based powders as well.

To wrap up this post which is longer than I intended, is adding a powder a couple of times a day in place of milk/cottage cheese a valid option, or should I look into another source for doing this. I have to admit I'm intrigued about getting a good source of protein because of wanting to lift weights and having a history of being sore due to a back surgery when I was 19, and making me stiffer than I should be. In other words I'd like my muscles to bounce back quicker so I don't feel like complete crap while I'm ad******g to working out more often and getting back in shape.

Thanks for your time and if there are any questions I can answer, fire them my way.
standing 8countboxing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Protein Powder or Shake, plus other questions

Yes, using protein powder is perfectly acceptable. I highly recommend Isopure if you're in the states. Another great option would be Muscle Milk. The prices on the two are a little more than most proteins, but the taste, as well as them being lactose free, make it well worth it.

P.s. recent studies have shown that the whole 5-6 meals a day thing does not actually increase your metabolism, so if it's more convenient to eat 3-4 a day, feel free to do so.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

I'm a bit confused, why would protein powders contain lactose (a sugar).
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Because lactose is commonly found in milk which I'm sure that you knew. Whey protein is generally derived from milk proteins, and along with that comes some of the sugar. Hence most of them not being lactose free.

Some companies go the extra mile to assure that no sugars are brought along with that, such as Isopure and Muscle Milk.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Marcum View Post
Because lactose is commonly found in milk which I'm sure that you knew. Whey protein is generally derived from milk proteins, and along with that comes some of the sugar. Hence most of them not being lactose free.

Some companies go the extra mile to assure that no sugars are brought along with that, such as Isopure and Muscle Milk.
Yes I knew lactose comes from milk I just assumed whey powder was what it claimed to be, whey protein. I did not know it came with some of the lactose. I don't use protein powders myself as I think it's a waste of money, I find it very easy to get enough protein from my regular diet. And besides I'm as lactose tolerant as it gets myself.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Yes I knew lactose comes from milk I just assumed whey powder was what it claimed to be, whey protein. I did not know it came with some of the lactose. I don't use protein powders myself as I think it's a waste of money, I find it very easy to get enough protein from my regular diet. And besides I'm as lactose tolerant as it gets myself.
Well if you can get enough protein+calories throughout the day, you're absolutely right, it would be a waste for you to use it. Like you said about the creatine, it's a supplement, something that should supplement an already sound diet.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Theres a thing called REGO been out a Bit. The Boffins at the Uni Sports Science Department which Im told is the best of its kind, recommend it. Most of the Elite Atheletes visit the place, they know what they are talking about, I havent got round to using it yet
scrap is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Ive read that whey or casein protein powders arent supposed to have the lactose because they are removing specifically the proteins and Ive read that they should be OK for lactose intolerant people. Of course it probably depends on how sensitive you are, Im sure some people would be fine and others could be bothered by the small amounts that make it into the powders. I dont know personally though because I have no problems with lactose.

You can use eggs and egg whites for an alternative source of protein. Egg is good because it takes 4 or so hours to fully digest so you stay feeling full and not tempted to snack on poor quality foods.

And they do actually make egg protein powders and soy protein powders as well if you want to take a shake thats not made from milk.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

That's what I thought as well. Whey protein is whey isolated from milk, it's actually rather easy to split the remaining lactose, if there is any at all.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
That's what I thought as well. Whey protein is whey isolated from milk, it's actually rather easy to split the remaining lactose, if there is any at all.
Like I said, it's derived from milk. Not everyone goes through the process of splitting the lactose, easy or not.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Pug1list
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

Pure Whey Isolate is lactose free, but it's quite a bit more expensive than regular whey.
Pug1list is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing