Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default I need help not closing my eyes when punches are thrown at me against an agressor?

Today was my 2nd ever time at a boxing gym. I was able to do some work against another fighter there with a body suit on. I would go in and do well on the outside and land consistently and even counter with jabs, crosses, and 1-2's but I got hit way too much, and partly it's because I have a bad defense, inexperience, and I close my eyes and panic a little when punches are thrown at me. I got hit in the head and nose which I'm not worried about too much, the other fighter wanted me to work his body hard and when he would I got countered and I'd fight back in a war style taking shots just to get shots in, and they don't want me fighting like that, otherwise I could get KO'd. I did realize I've been throwing my hooks too wide so I'm settling down on that so I can make my hooks as fast and tight as my jab.
I just have to get used to the conditions of fighting so I don't panic and I can be comfortable enough to think and slip, parry, and weave away punches. I was told by the other fighter that I'm too tense in there. It'll take some time, I don't think I'm ready for sparring yet but the trainer and pro fighter there are impressed by my heavybag work so I may get thrown into that next week, I'm going to take my time before even considering an amateur fight. Because as of now if I can't hurt my opponent I'm getting hurt.
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: I need help not closing my eyes when punches are thrown at me against an agressor

Today was my 2nd ever time at a boxing gym. I was able to do some work against another fighter there with a body suit on. I would go in and do well on the outside and land consistently and even counter with jabs, crosses, and 1-2's but I got hit way too much, and partly it's because I have a bad defense, inexperience, and I close my eyes and panic a little when punches are thrown at me.
This is something a coach of mine calls shellshocked. Dont worry man its your 2nd day and believe me this happens to everyone at first and even occassionally when they are more experienced. Ive been sparring for 5 years now and it still sometimes happens to me where ill have combos thrown at me and ill throw up the earmuffs and close my eyes a bit but I always make a effort to throw in a counter. The more you spar though the less you see this problem as sparring will become like work to you, it will be something that comes somewhat easy as far as remaining relaxed and comfertable.
I got hit in the head and nose which I'm not worried about too much, the other fighter wanted me to work his body hard and when he would I got countered and I'd fight back in a war style taking shots just to get shots in, and they don't want me fighting like that, otherwise I could get KO'd.
Thats an issue I have to this day I take clean shots and I start headhunting, dont be like me though listen to your coaches and box with your brains instead of your ego because its bruised alittle.
I did realize I've been throwing my hooks too wide so I'm settling down on that so I can make my hooks as fast and tight as my jab.
The wide hooks are common when you first start sparring. You gotta have ways to get close enough to land the hook obviously its a different distance then throwing a straight punch. So make sure you set up your hook because at this point you shouldnt worry about throwing a lead hook IMO.
I just have to get used to the conditions of fighting so I don't panic and I can be comfortable enough to think and slip, parry, and weave away punches. I was told by the other fighter that I'm too tense in there. It'll take some time, I don't think I'm ready for sparring yet but the trainer and pro fighter there are impressed by my heavybag work so I may get thrown into that next week, I'm going to take my time before even considering an amateur fight. Because as of now if I can't hurt my opponent I'm getting hurt.
Yeah man dont worry so much about fighting just show up everyday you can and work hard. Putting in the hours is all you need I guarantee ill ask you in 3 months how everything is going and it will be like a 100 percent turnaround from what ive read right now as you seem like the type of man who is willing to work hard to get what he wants. Just get in there do your shadow boxing, double end and heavybag work, skip alot, if the trainer doesnt already have you do padwork make sure he knows your interested in it and spar when they allow you and just soak up everything you can.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
Machiavelli
The White Lion
ESB Jr Member

Location: The wise man does at once what the fool does finally.
Default Re: I need help not closing my eyes when punches are thrown at me against an agressor

No offense, man, but from your videos, I have no idea why they have you sparring so soon. If they put you in with anyone who actually knows how to box, he'd have to take it too easy on you and neither of you would get anything out of it, and if they put you in with someone as inexperienced as you you're both going to be too sloppy, and again, get nothing out of it.

The part about being too tense and not panicking comes with confidence, by way of experience. You'll get to the point where you're confident enough with your skill and fighting ability and you won't be so nervous and blink and whatnot. As it is, though, you don't have the skill set yet, and as such you're going to be an incredibly easy target in there, and not much else.

Tell the coaches you think you should work on the fundamentals first before they throw you to the wolves. Maybe even some partner drills (you go-they go), so you know what to do in a given situation. I just don't think you're ready to start sparring, and your description of what's happening to you in there just reiterates my point.
Machiavelli is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru

this
doylexxx is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Work on defensive drills with a partner before attempting to spar. Habits like closing your eyes and turning around will slowly go away over time.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont know how long you been boxing, Im no longer boxing but I would have to say this just comes with time, just stay on your pads and your trainer should be working with you on this, its a reflex it will go away thats a problem that inexperience young people have thats at the building stage.

You throw wide hooks so I guess you must know you have power. do you close your eyes when you land a hard shot too?
Starched Him is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing