Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #46
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Sam Have to give you credit mate. 17.5 mins is a beast of a time.

Esp with the world record being 12 and a half minutes.

Cheers for the site aswell, great useful information.

I did 22.5 last night. I had to lay down at the end, was ****ing buggered
Cheers mate. But i've got to say that's my best/fastest time, done on 'test' day, and going flat out and being sick at the end

i usually do it in around 18 mins.

No probs mate, glad its helped

Good effort mate!
sam1222 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #47
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Yep, 8x20w/10r

Do not underestimate the difficulty of this drill. Believe me, you will be in the puke zone before you know it.

Mix up the exercises with the tabata protocol with something like:

Tabata car pushing
Tabata sledge hammer swings
Tabata sprints
Tabata burpees

This gives you 16 minutes of complete hell.

There are oodles of exercises. Just be sure to pick exercises that you can perform at a fast pace when doing this drill.

Do report back as i'd like to know how you get on.
Alright mate, tried tabata today, and i'm hooked! definately going to incorporate it into my routine did it this afternoon as it was run day today.

Started with skipping and dumbell swing/squats to warm up (and to finish as i found these fairly easy) and used burpees, press ups, body-weight squats and chin ups as my 'work' sets. the squats and burpees wasn't too bad, (hard but enjoyable) but the press ups and chin ups were pure ****ing torture! which surprised me as these are usually my strong area

Intend to do my usual training tomorrow then do tabata again on thursday, split it up to every other day.

Cheers for reccommending it mate
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #48
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good stuff mate, glad you enjoyed it!

Keep up the good work!
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #49
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Ah this is ****ed. It feels like its impossible, lungs just don't feel powerful enough. The body feels like it wants go harder but lungs are really holding me back.

going try jeffs 3x1 mile intevals to try and make lungs stronger. morales down after todays session.

even more credit to sam. bitch of a ****ing thing.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #50
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Ah this is ****ed. It feels like its impossible, lungs just don't feel powerful enough. The body feels like it wants go harder but lungs are really holding me back.

going try jeffs 3x1 mile intevals to try and make lungs stronger. morales down after todays session.

Excuse my ignorance, but what routine did you do to make you feel this way?
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #51
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what routine did you do to make you feel this way?
You're right mate. I've only been do 3 mile run. I mix it up from running it properly(for best time) and just jogging it with a couple bursts here and there. (lazy uninspired days)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #52
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Don't get so dis-heartened mate, you'll get there.

I mix my runs up a lot. i do a lot of 5 milers, spartan run, sprints and hill sprints etc. then once per week-2 weeks i'll do a test day. (and there's usually a 16-18 mile walk/run across the moors with a 40-50lb bergen on the weekends too, to be finished in under 4 hours),it took me almost 2 months to get my time down from 22 mins to 17-18 mins (this was coming off an injury and i couldnt run/train for about a month or so.

Don't just run 3 milers. mix it up.

try the spartan run: run 1 mile, then do 100 press ups (in as few sets as poss) and 100 crunches or sit ups (same again, few sets as poss)
Run another mile, then do 75 press ups and 75 sit ups. run another mile and do 50 press ups and sit ups. its hard but good

Circuit training helps too, lots of burpees, squats, squat thrusts, tuck jumps etc. (i love chin ups/pull ups and press ups too!)

Keep at it mate, don't let it get to you. i'm 34 by the way, don't let an old man beat ya!
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #53
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You're right mate. I've only been do 3 mile run. I mix it up from running it properly(for best time) and just jogging it with a couple bursts here and there. (lazy uninspired days)
I missed this post ^^

This maybe why your feeling you've hit a wall. the lazy days are your body's way of telling you its bored with the same run all the time, mix it up and i'm sure you'll see results

There's a specific run designed to knock a couple mins off military running tests on stew smiths site (couldn't find the link) that may help too.

Good luck mate, let me know how you get on
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #54
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1222 View Post
Don't get so dis-heartened mate, you'll get there.

I mix my runs up a lot. i do a lot of 5 milers, spartan run, sprints and hill sprints etc. then once per week-2 weeks i'll do a test day. (and there's usually a 16-18 mile walk/run across the moors with a 40-50lb bergen on the weekends too, to be finished in under 4 hours),it took me almost 2 months to get my time down from 22 mins to 17-18 mins (this was coming off an injury and i couldnt run/train for about a month or so.

Don't just run 3 milers. mix it up.

try the spartan run: run 1 mile, then do 100 press ups (in as few sets as poss) and 100 crunches or sit ups (same again, few sets as poss)
Run another mile, then do 75 press ups and 75 sit ups. run another mile and do 50 press ups and sit ups. its hard but good

Circuit training helps too, lots of burpees, squats, squat thrusts, tuck jumps etc. (i love chin ups/pull ups and press ups too!)

Keep at it mate, don't let it get to you. i'm 34 by the way, don't let an old man beat ya!
Royal Marines...
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #55
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Royal Marines...

I was only with the royal marines for a year or so

Smashed my knee to **** on the commando tests and got back trooped, but ****ed it up again on the second go. 8 years in the army instead
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #56
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I was only with the royal marines for a year or so

Smashed my knee to **** on the commando tests and got back trooped, but ****ed it up again on the second go. 8 years in the army instead
Good Stuff..

I could tell you was with the Royal Marines..

One of my mate's speaks very similar to you..

Spartan..

Just reminded me of him..

He also had a knee injury, which affected his attempts..when he was on his phase training or something...TA Royal Marines.

He's just went away to try and get in the regular Royal Marines......!

The Biggest Boys club in the World...
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #57
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Good Stuff..

I could tell you was with the Royal Marines..

One of my mate's speaks very similar to you..

Spartan..

Just reminded me of him..

He also had a knee injury, which affected his attempts..when he was on his phase training or something...TA Royal Marines.

He's just went away to try and get in the regular Royal Marines......!

The Biggest Boys club in the World...

Must be something in the water at Lympstone. Good luck to your mate though, its a great mob to be part of if he can get in

I was fitter than i'd ever been when i left the marines, and i think its their training that has helped my maintain a high level over the years. In my opinion, their the best we have, rivaled only by the SBS/SAS etc. Only the para's come close
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #58
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I missed this post ^^

This maybe why your feeling you've hit a wall. the lazy days are your body's way of telling you its bored with the same run all the time, mix it up and i'm sure you'll see results

There's a specific run designed to knock a couple mins off military running tests on stew smiths site (couldn't find the link) that may help too.

Good luck mate, let me know how you get on
Great tips Sam, so evidently I'd just got back from my run . All hardened up now ready for tomorrow. Has felt like a brick wall been reached so mixing it up will do some good.

I remember your involved with Royal Marine Selection. These tips of yours are valued.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #59
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Great tips Sam, so evidently I'd just got back from my run . All hardened up now ready for tomorrow. Has felt like a brick wall been reached so mixing it up will do some good.

I remember your involved with Royal Marine Selection. These tips of yours are valued.
No probs mate

Mix it up, strengthen your legs and do circuit training. add a longer run once or twice a week too, 4-5 miles maybe. find your rhythm, pace yourself and take it steady. after a couple weeks have a test day and run 3 miles best effort. took me about 6 weeks to get my time down from 22 to 18 mins. ive run it in 17.5 twice now but i won't get lower than that. i was sick both times due to the effort it took, but not when i run it in 18 mins.

Posting a training log might help keep you motivated. good luck mate
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 AM   #60
Rob3
Journeyman

Not sure if it's been mentioned but if your aim is to get that 5K (3 mile) time down then what helped me alot is the longer interval sessions. The shortest was 9x2 minutes with a minute recovery between each (no jogging on recovery just try to get your breath back). Typically you want the session to last from around 18 to 24 minutes to try and replicate a 5K race.

Try 9x2 mins, 6 x 3 mins etc. One of the first ones I ever did was 1 minute (30 seconds rest), 2 minutes (30 seconds rest), 4 minutes (1 minute rest), 6 minutes (1 minute rest) then work your way back down with the same recovery as going up.

I remember it cos it was ****ing horrible but I still try to do that session atleast once a month precisly cos of that.
Rob3 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing