Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 AM   #31
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Left Hook- palms down or facing inward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
So you're saying that technique-wise it is better to have the palm facing down so that your elbow will naturally point up?
Mechnically I have to agree, since I find that with the palm down or the thumb almost facing down, you get a better 'hook'. That is the punch starts off high and then slants downwards as it curves back to you... a better angle to dig into the chin.

...some guy the other day was 'correcting' me by saying to throw with the thumb up and STILL hold the elbow up and it just did not feel right. It was almost like my elbow was going to bend off... I get irritated by idiots.

So I'm going to ask, is there any such rationale that a thumb-up hook can or should ever be used? Its a dumb question almost.
I would definitely use it when I'm a bit further away. With the thumb, one is able to cover more ground.
wordisbond is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #32
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
So you're saying that technique-wise it is better to have the palm facing down so that your elbow will naturally point up?
Mechnically I have to agree, since I find that with the palm down or the thumb almost facing down, you get a better 'hook'. That is the punch starts off high and then slants downwards as it curves back to you... a better angle to dig into the chin.

...some guy the other day was 'correcting' me by saying to throw with the thumb up and STILL hold the elbow up and it just did not feel right. It was almost like my elbow was going to bend off... I get irritated by idiots.

So I'm going to ask, is there any such rationale that a thumb-up hook can or should ever be used? Its a dumb question almost.
Thumb up and elbow up does not sit nicely with the ligaments, tendons, muscle etc People can refute this but footage doesn't lie. The large majority of boxers wear big gloves, expect the glove to protect their hand, throw a bit of a haymaker with thumb up and the elbow naturally pointing down THUS not really getting the shoulder into it properly or establishing the most effective power line.

Some do argue that on range you put the thumb up but again the elbow will dip if the thumb is completely up. The more you turn the thumb down, the more the elbow will go up helping to be more accurate and establish the power line.

I can accept 45 degree hand turn though so not completely down or up. I find this also works effectively.

Final point, you can throw long hooks with palm down.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #33
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #34
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
he is a good coach but i have to disagree with him. he is simply showing his opponent that a hook is coming.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #35
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Interestingly when throwing a Hook the only thing turning and moving is the Elbow. The Hand doesnt turn its a Biomechanical impossabilty. What makes the Left Hook is the right Foot and Shoulder, if the right shoulder isnt balanced its not happening.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Oh and that vidio is a terrible demonstration of a Left Hook, He has lost all Oral Stability and centre Line, when throwing one you are open to one when you reachof the back foot all form is lost.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #37
Kieran

I throw them thumb up and elbow down. Originally I used the more traditional elbow right up and palm down but found this slow and painfull on the shoulder. Once I switched I started landing hooks far more regularly, I think you don't see it coming as much.

The hooks in this video of Ike Quartey training are a good example of what I mean:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_HwYguqgaQ[/ame]

Edit: forgot to add the reason for my post. I wanted to get coaches opinions of hooking like this. Is it technically wrong? My coach prefers the more traditional way but I figure if it feels natural and is more effective then it can't be bad. I just wanted some more input.

Last edited by Kieran; 10-13-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: to add a question
Kieran is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #38
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordisbond View Post
Some great answers for the questions I've ask previously.

When throwing the left hook, I've heard some coaches say to turn the hand over and have the palms facing downward, and I've heard some say that it's better to have the palm facing inward. I've also heard one say that both can be utilized (from up close, one should have the palm down, and from a distance, the palm shoud face inward for a longer reach). What's you take on this? Your input is appreciated.
-WIB
Shane Mosely Fights Palm down, He basically Fights off his 1st 2 knucles now. I like the Last 3 knuckles so palm in for me like Mike
Starched Him is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #39
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Oh and that vidio is a terrible demonstration of a Left Hook, He has lost all Oral Stability and centre Line, when throwing one you are open to one when you reachof the back foot all form is lost.
Exactly how experienced are you people here commenting on the left hook?
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #40
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Achilles is biomechanicaly correct, once again the bodys working all or nothing everything as regards joints have a part to play. The prime movers are the foot and knee below the elbow and the opposite shoulder. Interestingly once the Fist goes past the opposite shoulder and the knee below power and position is lost, you are off Balance. Put your fist on someones chin with all the knuckles on his jawbone, that will give you a clue to not getting bad Hands. The position of the back foot helps the range you can throw the shot. Oh Boxon, been about.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #41
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

I box (fighting tomorrow) and i can say its 100% palm down. If the palm is facing inwards then your body is making a scooping motion, meaning the power is going sideways but not all the leverage is hitting because your like scooping towards yourself. Its hard to explain but my good friend, (also boxing tomorrow on home show) has a problem and throws palm inwards and he loses alot of power doing so.
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #42
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Oh Boxon, been about.
Since the dawn of time.

Last edited by Youngblood; 10-15-2009 at 06:51 PM. Reason: i camt speel gud
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #43
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Interesting! Evander Holyfield employed Weldon as his Balance Coach. And I think Holyfield may have used one of Weldon's moves to ko Buster Douglas(bounce forward bounce out and throw the right hand). Holyfield used the hook far more often that most fighters he uses the thumb up method.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 AM   #44
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thuoght it was the Head down method no Balance.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 AM   #45
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Ali's the greatest heavyweight of all time but if he tried to teach me how to do many things, I surely wouldn't listen.

Pulling rank is too often a power trip. It has to make sense.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing