Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who wins in a 1982 Match up?
Muhammad Ali 2 6.45%
Mike Weaver 29 93.55%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if? Ali/Weaver in 1982...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
There was speculation Ali was thinking about it. Like I said, he was part of the team that helped Witherspoon against Bruno, and with the Heavyweight tournament starting and no clear favourite (July 1986), the Dynamic Duo started the Ali spin...
I do n't think it was a serious intention on Muhammad's part about coming back. He was joking.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ali is probably talking a comeback this year. No biggie.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Why would you make this thread? This is not an intresting fight unless you really Hate Ali. Weaver probably by decision,or maybe stoppage if he really pressed Ali
You do not think it is at least of curiosity value? Ali was a phenomenon. the fight would of been huge, even in 1982. Bigger (mainstream) than any heavyweight fight today, with the exception of a possible (if highly unlikely) clash of Vitali and Vlad.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

ali shouldn't have been fighting in 1980 nevermind 1982 when he had Parkinsons and important skills like co-ordination and reflexes are rapidly slowing and declining. for a fighter like Ali or any other that is suicide. 18 years earlier he was world champ - nuff said.
groove is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
ali shouldn't have been fighting in 1980 nevermind 1982 when he had Parkinsons and important skills like co-ordination and reflexes are rapidly slowing and declining. for a fighter like Ali or any other that is suicide. 18 years earlier he was world champ - nuff said.
It could be argued he should never of fought post Thrilla, as hindsight shows he clearly was starting to struggle. My point is Weaver was on par-ish with Berbick at the time, and Ali was hardly outclassed by Trevor, so maybe there was a chance of one last hurrah for the Louisville Lip.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

yeah then he wouldn't have had 5 losses on his record. only 2 v a peak frazier and norton with a broken jaw.
groove is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #22
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think the reason Holmes was selected as an opponent instead of Weaver back then was due to styles. And the Ali corner had been hand picking opponents for a long long time.
With Larry, they knew he was a boxer and needed and accumulation of punches for his effectiveness and specifically, a jab. That's a different physical dynamic to deal with for an old guy with deteriorating reflexes.

Weaver was the rare breed with the rarest of skills--1 punch late ko power in both hands. Both the Tate & Coetzee ko's are 1 punch ko's from different hands. And late. That's a whole different risk than a boxer presents to an old fighter and the main reason you just don't see examples of 38 year old heavies fighting the youthful punchers. You see fewer examples of the old guy actually winning & they usually get starched bad like the Norton--cooney fight. Ali was hit a lot in all of his final bouts and they didn't want the big hitters like Weaver/Shavers rematch/Coetzee/Cooney/, but the other styles of fighters instead.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #23
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Muhammad Ali
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

^

This is whats called taking optimism to a new level.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 AM   #24
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Ali wouldnt have beat an average MWT in 1982.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #25
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Ali - Spinks?

I cant remember that one, but he did participate in Wrestlemania somewhere around this time.
As a referee tho, he was hardly delivering flying elbows to the chest of Hulk Hogan from a high height.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #26
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You do not think it is at least of curiosity value? Ali was a phenomenon. the fight would of been huge, even in 1982. Bigger (mainstream) than any heavyweight fight today, with the exception of a possible (if highly unlikely) clash of Vitali and Vlad.
The fight wouldnt have been that big everyone knew Ali was done after the Holmes fight. It would have got publicity obviously,but not from the real fans.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #27
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
The fight wouldnt have been that big everyone knew Ali was done after the Holmes fight. It would have got publicity obviously,but not from the real fans.
I do not know how old you are, but have no doubt, Ali was huge in my small town in England in 1982.

Myself and my class mates were eight and everyone knew who Ali was, and it was huge deal when he fought. And as that means for me, the Holmes and Berbick fights (that I have memories of), it clearly shows Ali/Weaver would of been massive, even in 1982.

What is a real fan? The Fan(cy), in a near literal sense, is someone who financially backs a fighter...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Do not get me wrong, I am glad the fight never happened, as no matter what health wise it would of done Ali no good.

But I just think that Weaver's ability to blow simple fights, to come in cold, and to sometimes let events get the better of him, may suggest that even in 82, Ali could of got the job done.
There is no limit to how low Ali could have fallen if he had fought on long enough.

Weaver was a world class fighter and if Ali fights him in 1986 I would put money on him being the first to put Ali down for the count of ten. If the figfht takes place in 82 then Weaver would probably edge him.
janitor is online now  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #29
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ali was in the mist of Parkinson's syndrome by 1978 / '79..... By '81 against Berbick in the Bahamas, Ali was a ghost at age 39....... Weaver KO's Ali for the full count in '82.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #30
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Muhammad Ali
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

^

This is whats called taking optimism to a new level.
That is no longer optimistic its now delusional.

Not only would Weaver have beaten him then, he would have stopped him in a violent manner.

Ali had nothing in 1980.
ironchamp is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum