Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Who has best chance of beating prime Larry Holmes

A similar thread was done on Ali a little while ago. Let's go with Mr.Holmes. Ones that I figure have the best chance are. The 1964-67 and 1972-74 versions of Muhammad Ali,FOTC Joe Frazier,Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano. George Foreman would always have a puncher's chance. Although I'd make Holmes favourite,I calculate that if Foreman caught him with a right the way Shavers did,George would n't let him off the hook. I can't discount Tyson here either,but I'd still make Larry the favourite. The only other one I'd give a fair to middling chance to is Lennox Lewis.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057
Default Re: Who has best chance of beating prime Larry Holmes

Muhammad Ali (1964-67)
George Foreman (1973-74)
Mike Tyson (198
Sonny Liston (1960-62)
Joe Frazier (1970-71)
Joe Louis (1938-39)
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

Muhammad Ali (1964-67)
George Foreman (1973-74)
Mike Tyson (198
Sonny Liston (1960-62)
Joe Frazier (1970-71)
Joe Louis (1938-39)

I like these kinda of thread's you should do more
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Joe Frazier would outpoint him on the pressure I feel. Might be close though.

Apparently Holmes felt that Sonny would be a tough one for him, which it really might have been given Liston's jab/power combo. I'll go with him, too.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I think Holmes vs Lewis would be a very intriguing affair, wouldn't like to pick one aganist the other.

Both have excellent jabs, each could take the others punches - there is no obvious outcome.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

maybe ali or lewis.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Not many thatīs for sure!

The great swarmers at their best, meaning Marciano and Frazier. Guys with similar good jabs but more power, meaning Lewis and Liston.
Tysonīs style was made to fight guys with Holmesī style so I suppose he too would stand good chances. And when Tyson can do it, I think Dempsey could do it too.
Wlad could trouble him a bit I think but if he can beat him? I donīt know. Possible.

So, seven fighters at best - no I donīt think Louis or Ali would beat him, both stand a chance of course.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Not many thatīs for sure!

The great swarmers at their best, meaning Marciano and Frazier. Guys with similar good jabs but more power, meaning Lewis and Liston.
Tysonīs style was made to fight guys with Holmesī style so I suppose he too would stand good chances. And when Tyson can do it, I think Dempsey could do it too.
Wlad could trouble him a bit I think but if he can beat him? I donīt know. Possible.

So, seven fighters at best - no I donīt think Louis or Ali would beat him, both stand a chance of course.
marciano would have no chance against holmes,ever.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
A similar thread was done on Ali a little while ago. Let's go with Mr.Holmes. Ones that I figure have the best chance are. The 1964-67 and 1972-74 versions of Muhammad Ali,FOTC Joe Frazier,Joe Louis and Rocky Marciano. George Foreman would always have a puncher's chance. Although I'd make Holmes favourite,I calculate that if Foreman caught him with a right the way Shavers did,George would n't let him off the hook. I can't discount Tyson here either,but I'd still make Larry the favourite. The only other one I'd give a fair to middling chance to is Lennox Lewis.
Ali
Lewis
Liston.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Max Baer had the sort of crazed, free swinging unpredictablity and right hand which might allow him to spring an upset stoppage, according to some pundits who were analyzing Holmes (in KO Magazine?) during his prime. Max had stamina and durability which Shavers was lacking in, so maybe those prognosticators were onto something. (However, it should also be mentioned that the writers who produced this article also predicted that Leon Spinks, fresh off his stoppage of Mercado, was about to regain the title from Larry via a split 15 round decision. As we know, Holmes blew him out in four.) Maxie's stamina is critical here, as no single punch could have ever stopped Larry at his peak. (If this was possible, Shavers obviously would have done it.)

Ali is the safe answer here. While I believe Larry to have the best chance at decisioning a peak Muhammad, assuming Holmes has Futch in his corner, Ali actually has the greater margin for error regardless, and doesn't need to box the virtually perfect match Larry would have to. Folley and Lyle showed that it was possible to obtain a scoring lead on Muhammad when boxing smartly and conservatively, but maintaining that edge over 15 long rounds with somebody of Ali's endurance was another matter.

If anybody could realistically have managed to stop a peak Holmes, it would have been Louis with his combination punching. This isn't likely though, as Larry never froze into a stationary target when stunned. (Even peak Tyson had trouble putting him away, needing 45 seconds to get that final punch in. Although poorly prepared, Holmes came within five seconds of surviving the round, and likely would have had he not gotten his right arm caught in the ropes.)

Frazier's pressure would have made him a rugged challenge for Larry, but he wasn't particularly susceptible to the left hook, normally the most difficult of punches to defend against when properly executed. Unlike Smoke, Dempsey had the right hand to replicate the Shavers knockdown of Holmes.

Joe could get hit and hurt with the right uppercut, and the one Holmes decked Weaver with would have likely dropped Frazier as well. I believe Smoke was far more vulnerable to the right uppercut than Larry was to the hook.

Holmes-Liston would have been a compelling fencing match. Larry would need to get his jab off first, beating Sonny to the punch with superior speed. Mobility was a good way to survive against Liston, but that alone wouldn't help capture the scoring, or even come close to doing the job. It's all about the jab here.

At his best, Walcott could be a headache for anybody, but never had that aura of invincibility. He could handle a skilled boxer of Larry's size, but Holmes was not Hein Ten Hoff. Larry would have to be at his sharpest to take the decision here though.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #11
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I've always felt that Tyson was the bane of Holmes. Obviously not much can be made from their actual fight as Holmes was way past it by then but Cus had pretty much designed Tyson to destroy a Holmes type fighter.
werety is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I was trying to come up with a top 10 for this, but I've only come up with 9 I feel would have at least a decent to good shot at pulling off the deed. In no particular order: Tyson, Ali, Lewis, Dempsey, Frazier, the Klitschkos, Norton, and Louis stand the best chances in my opinion.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Holmes's style is a bit like marmite in that you either love it or hate it.

Personaly I think that the two groups of fighters that would spell the biggest trouble for him are:

A. The all time great finishers eg Dempsey, Louis, Tyson.

B. Pressure fighters such as Marciano and Frazier.

I would submit that sombody in group A would represent the biggest threat to him but that it would take an absolute elite level fighter of this type to pull it off.

In group B we would find more fighters who could beat him and it would not necisarily take an all time great to do it on a given day.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Since the question is, " who has a chance? " Then I think there were quite a few names that could be listed. Would I actually "pick" most of them to do it initially? Probably not..
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

A prime Sonny Liston. I'm assuming Liston has a slight reach advantage here, and obviously a great jab like Holmes'. I think Larry might pick off the the early rounds, but I think once Sonny gets his jab into action, Holmes might be discouraged into jabbing back when he's getting pummeled by Sonny's in return. Not to mention he could combine that with relatively under-rated skills and power.
TommyV is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum