Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250
Default Boxers and urine

Okay, this thread has NOTHING to do with Juan Manuel Marquez, so let's get past that straight away.

There's a couple things that have always nagged at me but never seemed worthy of bothering to make a thread inquiring about. It occurs to me now that there may actually be a connection.

What happens when boxers need to pee during a match? Obviously there are no "time-outs" - certainly not in professional bouts and I'd imagine amateurs are the same. You have the one-minute rest period between rounds and clearly that's not enough, I don't care how fast you are, to run to john, TCOB, wash your hands () and climb back through the ropes in time for the bell.

I'd imagine this has to come up with some frequency. A 12 round fight lasts nearly an hour - more than one, if you count the pre and post pageantry. I have an abnormally high metabolism, always have - and make a concerted effort to drink water nonstop throughout the day. My needing to go on more or less an hourly basis may be a little more aggressive than the next Tom Dick or Harry, but still...the law of averages states that boxers will need to pee during a fight.

...UNLESS...

There's a ritual dehydration involved beforehand. Now, obviously in the pro game this takes place the day before, for weigh-in purposes. My understanding is that fighters then "re-hydrate" to a proper fighting weight. This is the second thing I've never been quite clear on. As stated, I drink a lot of water. More than the recommended intake of 2 quarts, 1.8 liters per day. I still don't see how a human being can add upwards of 20 pounds by drinking water - nor shedding this much weight by "dehydrating" using any method I know of (sweating, inducing urination, uh...crying?). Yet these amounts are not atypical fluctuations between weigh-in and fight night. How is this possible?

To bring it back around to my original point, if you're gaining weight by way of fluid intake, I don't care how slow your metabolism is, you're going to need to expel with frequency for the rest of that day. How is it that boxers aren't just constantly pissing down their trunks and slipping across the ring? Unless they dehydrate as much as possible to avoid having this embarrassing and inconvenient bodily function rear its head. That then would defeat the purpose of having rehydrated, would it not?

If prizefighters are just disciplined to merely "hold it in" (this is EXTREMELY unhealthy and ill-advised), doesn't that make you more susceptible to body blows? If I ignore the call of nature for more than ten minutes the cramps are nearly crippling, and if I so much as bump into the corner of a desk it's agony.

Maybe there are really simple elementary answers but please if possible, indulge my ignorance and educate me.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Boxers and urine

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I've seen it happen, In the Floyd Marquez fight Floyd was doing it all over the place.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #3
elTerrible
TeamElite General Manager
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

That is a good question. I mean really if they are drinking all that water to rehydrate back up in weight and also consider taking a shot to the stomach when youre trying to hold it in...

Do they really just piss in a bucket? like through the shorts as in the above pic? I imagine they could if they had to.

Ive always suspected Duran had the shits in the second Leonard fight. He was known to get fat between fights, maybe he took laxatives to make weight.

Its just the "stomach cramps" is a weird excuse and is code language for diarrea where Im from.
elTerrible is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Most people pee about 100 times right before just because of nerves so there usually isn't anything in your bladder once you get in there. Then you're sweating everything out. I know I always feel like I have to pee when I'm standing there waiting to box (even though I just went 8 times) but as soon as you're in there the sensation goes away.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #5
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
Most people pee about 100 times right before just because of nerves so there usually isn't anything in your bladder once you get in there. Then you're sweating everything out. I know I always feel like I have to pee when I'm standing there waiting to box (even though I just went 8 times) but as soon as you're in there the sensation goes away.
Ain't that the truth. Last match I pee'd every 5 minutes for 2 hrs before the match, to the point of going in there thinking I had to pee and simply nothing left.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Interesting, guys. So are you pretty much chugging water (or fluids of some sort) nonstop all day leading up? Do you prefer water or electrolyte-laden sports drinks?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Interesting, guys. So are you pretty much chugging water (or fluids of some sort) nonstop all day leading up? Do you prefer water or electrolyte-laden sports drinks?
It's not from chugging water, it's from nerves.
I just drink a normal (or probably less) amount of water and my usual coffee.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It would seem to me that with all the sweating involved from warm-up and the actual fight, you wouldn't have very much fluid to expel. I've never fought 12 rounds, but I show up at the club, watch fights for an hour and a half, then get ready and fight for a few minutes.
Jerry is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Hmm. Maybe it's just my metabolism but without water there is no physical functionality.

Hell, I can't get through an hour at the gym without at least a liter.

It would seem that to get through a full fight you would need to be well hydrated...and without the benefit of a camel's hump that means you're going to have fluid stored (presumably in excess of what you'd sweat out). From memory, just hitting the bag and working the pads for 12 straight rounds works up quite a thirst - let alone competing with a live body.

Never had the experience of being nervous to the point where it brought on the "need to go". Maybe because the need arises so frequently anyway on its own.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 AM   #10
lonewolf210

Just a thought but have you ever thought about the fact that you are drinking too much water? If you have to drink that much you might want to talk to a doctor.

Back to the original question I think that as many people have said its a combination of nerves and just sweating it out. I am a tri-athlete and race sprint and Olympic distances and never had to use the restroom while racing and those last upwards of 3 hrs for an Olympic. I also think it has to do with the fact that you just aren't thinking about it. When someone is trying to beat the shit out you, you aren't really thinking about using the restroom.
lonewolf210 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
Just a thought but have you ever thought about the fact that you are drinking too much water? If you have to drink that much you might want to talk to a doctor.

My understanding was always that "too much" doesn't exist and the average American with their high-sodium/caffeine diet doesn't get nearly enough hydration. My crazy metabolism has always been considered more of a medical blessing, since it forces me drink when thirsty - which is always. Also, staying trim no matter what crap was shoved down my throat or how infrequent exercise was until well into my twenties was a bonus.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

haha you ever tried boxing it makes you not need a pee
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
lonewolf210

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
My understanding was always that "too much" doesn't exist and the average American with their high-sodium/caffeine diet doesn't get nearly enough hydration. My crazy metabolism has always been considered more of a medical blessing, since it forces me drink when thirsty - which is always. Also, staying trim no matter what crap was shoved down my throat or how infrequent exercise was until well into my twenties was a bonus.
I have a pretty high metabolism as well and don't drink nearly that much water. It was just a thought that maybe your body isn't processing it right and thats way you have to drink so much. Your obviously not drinking enough water to do this, but it is in fact possible to drink so much water that it poisons your body and kills you.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
I have a pretty high metabolism as well and don't drink nearly that much water. It was just a thought that maybe your body isn't processing it right and thats way you have to drink so much. Your obviously not drinking enough water to do this, but it is in fact possible to drink so much water that it poisons your body and kills you.
Never heard of that, wow. Do you know what amount that would be? More than someone could drink in one sitting, certainly...(have definitely chugged a gallon bottle... )

Come to think of it, when I was frequenting the boxing gym the need to go never became overwhelming...of course, I went before even putting on my wraps and usually only did an hour to ninety minutes. Might have held it in a little some times as well. This practice has been drilled into my head by everyone including my grandmother (who's an RN) from childhood as extremely dangerous and damaging to your organs, though. While sweating and the pre-fight nerves elimination amy mentioned might take care of it mostly, it's statistically certainty that some boxers occasionally are going to get the urge in the middle of a match. They would literally have to hold it in - even for several rounds - or risk losing by forfeit. Kind of a lose-lose scenario, even if they somehow manage to grind out a win through the discomfort...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
lonewolf210

Not sure the exact amount but I know a women died, in the States. of water poisoning during a competition in the states called hold your wee for a Wii. If memory is correct I believe the radio show was actually being sued for negligence because the hosts had been joking about someone dieing of water poisoning a few days before the competition. Anything is harmful and dangerous to the body given the right amount to include oxygen and water.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing