Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 219
vCash: 1050
Default Just got killed in sparring, have my first Su fight nday

I was sparring tonight against a guy with about 10 or so fights, despite this i really felt that I could go in and give a good account of myself. However, I got spanked, so to speak. I felt as if I had no snap in my punches and that I had no time. My first fight is Sunday and my confidence is at a low ebb.

Some words of advice would be welcomed.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,203
vCash: 75
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Sounds to me like you may have tried too hard to get in some good work, alot of times going into a fight, your so excited your nerves are going you know the fights around the corner you tend to rush things in the ring rather than slowing down and taking your time to place your shots.

Dont trip we all have been through it, My son fights on Saturday, and today was his last sparring session we are done he rest tomorrow and we fight on Saturday.

He gets the same way during the week of the fight, he is so up for the fight he tends to rush things alot and it usally ends up with him getting the worst of it.

Dont trip all you need to know is your game plan, execute~ stay focused people have bad days in the gym it will be okay, just trust that you have put in the right kind of work in the gym and have been doing all your roadwork and you will be fine...
Bazooka is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
Jerry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wilmington, N.C
Posts: 274
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Heyyy Relax. Thats the secret. Relax, do what you practice. You'll be fine. 10 fights is a lot to have on you anyway, 10 fights means everything when its the first 10.
Jerry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
Jack Johnson
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 65
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

10 fights is alot of experience ahead of you man, i wouldnt sweat it, there are alot of people on here who know there shit so just take whats been said to you,and good luck it your fight.
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,638
vCash: 347
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
I was sparring tonight against a guy with about 10 or so fights, despite this i really felt that I could go in and give a good account of myself. However, I got spanked, so to speak. I felt as if I had no snap in my punches and that I had no time. My first fight is Sunday and my confidence is at a low ebb.

Some words of advice would be welcomed.
Dont' worry about it man, every one has their good and bad days. Just think of it this way, if you were able to spar agaisnt someone with 10 fights, then the guy you'll be fighting should be no problem
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Heyyy Relax. Thats the secret. Relax, do what you practice. You'll be fine. 10 fights is a lot to have on you anyway, 10 fights means everything when its the first 10.
good pont.relax and get your breathing even.you won't be the first to get knocked about in sparring ,or the last.
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
I was sparring tonight against a guy with about 10 or so fights, despite this i really felt that I could go in and give a good account of myself. However, I got spanked, so to speak. I felt as if I had no snap in my punches and that I had no time. My first fight is Sunday and my confidence is at a low ebb.

Some words of advice would be welcomed.
Pull out of your fight, your not ready. If your questioning yourself that wayafter sparring you haven't picked up anywhere near enough experience in the gym.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Pull out of your fight, your not ready. If your questioning yourself that wayafter sparring you haven't picked up anywhere near enough experience in the gym.
jeff would you pull out.i doubt it. i wouldn't have done
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
jeff would you pull out.i doubt it. i wouldn't have done
I wouldn't have done but that said it would have been the right thing to do. SParring isn't about winning and losing and the issue here isn't your lack of success against the more experienced fighter. The issue is your lack of understanding. This indicates that you have too little experience. Expect your first fight to be a big wake up call. Good luck though, you may win but don't expect to perform 100%
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #10
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
I wouldn't have done but that said it would have been the right thing to do. SParring isn't about winning and losing and the issue here isn't your lack of success against the more experienced fighter. The issue is your lack of understanding. This indicates that you have too little experience. Expect your first fight to be a big wake up call. Good luck though, you may win but don't expect to perform 100%
big wake up call indeed.i don't think any amount of sparring prepares you for you first fight.
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #11
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,203
vCash: 75
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
big wake up call indeed.i don't think any amount of sparring prepares you for you first fight.
I would not advise him to pull out of his fight, usally a guy knowing his first fight is just days away he is so excited the nerves are so wound up he is going to make some mistakes in sparring, I see it all the time with new guys.

He was in there with someone who had more experience probably a little heavier even, There are also just days your flat, and you cant seem to find a rythem as long as he has been doing his road work and putting in 100% in the gym he is sharp ready to go...

forget what happend in sparring, Sunday is what he needs to focus on.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
I would not advise him to pull out of his fight, usally a guy knowing his first fight is just days away he is so excited the nerves are so wound up he is going to make some mistakes in sparring, I see it all the time with new guys.

He was in there with someone who had more experience probably a little heavier even, There are also just days your flat, and you cant seem to find a rythem as long as he has been doing his road work and putting in 100% in the gym he is sharp ready to go...

forget what happend in sparring, Sunday is what he needs to focus on.
I had lots of flat days in sparring,i also had days in actual fights too,where i stunk.
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 22,203
vCash: 75
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
I had lots of flat days in sparring,i also had days in actual fights too,where i stunk.

Every fighter is different, if he has been training and doign what he is supposed to be doing then he is in shape.... He is ready.... I have had my son in there looking like a god and lost fights and he was sparring pros and experienced amateurs...

What matters is what you do in the gym on the road and during the fight.... a bad sparring session is not always a red flag.
Bazooka is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
I had lots of flat days in sparring,i also had days in actual fights too,where i stunk.
True. I used to have my shittest performances on the back of my best ones. It was all in my head though. I'd tell myself that I was going to box shit and would. One time I boxed in the Novice championships and got hit once in a three wound fight. Hattons am trainer pulled me aftet the fight and said that it was one of the best boxing performances he's seen. I was chuffed to bits. Noxt fight i boxed like I was handicapped.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:56 PM   #15
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lancashire
Posts: 4,849
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
True. I used to have my shittest performances on the back of my best ones. It was all in my head though. I'd tell myself that I was going to box shit and would. One time I boxed in the Novice championships and got hit once in a three wound fight. Hattons am trainer pulled me aftet the fight and said that it was one of the best boxing performances he's seen. I was chuffed to bits. Noxt fight i boxed like I was handicapped.
i'd just had one of flat nights and was going back to the changing rooms and my mate said "you were shit" and i was.
turpinr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013